Thread: Experiences of HBing first baby?

Default Experiences of HBing first baby?

Hi guys I'm 27 weeks today and have started to worry a bit about having to transfer in the midst of my home birth...I'm doing it through a government funded hospital program and while my midwife told me they've hardly had to transfer any HBing women to hospital, I can't help but feel weary...
    I think I'm mainly worried that because it's my first baby that my labour will be too long and I'll have to transfer....so I'm looking for experiences of anyone who has had a complete homebirth with their first baby? I.e. labour and birth all at home and didn't transfer to the hossy.
    TIA .

Well I ended up transferring, but I know many mumma's who had their first at home.

Try to just relax and take it as it comes. You'll only be transferred if you have to be (or you ask), so rest assured things will only occur as necessary.

While it was my second baby, my HB was my first labour and birth (DD1 was a scheduled c/s). I had no idea how labour would go and being a VBAC there were extra considerations as well. But I trusted my body, my baby and my midwives. I did a lot of reading and mental preparation, kept fit and healthy, basically all the things you can do to prepare for birth no matter where it happens.

I was surprised by how the labour went, but pleasantly so! It was quick, not particularly painful and textbook. It was hard work, but simply amazing. You're welcome to read my story, it's linked in my signature. I think you're right to wonder about how it might all go, but there's no reason to assume it'll be more difficult or complicated. There's just as good a chance you'll have a great birth.

Try to read and watch positive birth stories. I focused on those last time and I'm doing the same now for my second upcoming HB.

I wish I had chosen a HB for my first baby. It would have been a much better start to motherhood and our family unit. Congrats on your pg and sending wonderful birthing vibes your way.

We had an unplanned spontaneous home birth and all went brilliantly!
    I'll come back and give you more details ASAP.

my first baby was homeborn it was a long labour and I was tired but being at home and undisturbed meant I could stay in labour land and let the hormones do their thing. My main fear before the birth was around having to transfer too - my midwife reassured me that she could see no reason why we would need to and I found that really reassuring (I began to trust that we would only transfer if it was absolutely necessary and expected that my labour was going to be straightforward). Good luck xx
    Last edited by e_p; June 17th, 2014 at 01:54 PM.

First baby born at home here too. It was a longish labour (18 hours) but really only 5 hours active. Never thought about transfer.
    I trust my midwife so much I would do anything she recommended and I knew she would only say transfer if it was absolutely necessary.

For me it was about a spontaneous unhindered birth rather than a Homebirth. Of course I wanted it at home, but I had a back up booking at the hospital.

I think let go of all expectations and put your faith in you baby, your body and your care providers. You cannot control birth, you can only surrender. Best wishes.

Thanks guys, feeling slightly more reassured now. I just needed to hear from women who have been there and done it that it can be done. Hopefully it will give me a more positive outlook on labour/birth and keep me from freaking out!

Hi DF. We'd planned on a birth centre water birth but didn't make it!
    My labor from waters breaking to DD being born was 26 hours. What helped was all the education we did prior to birth. Calm birth was wonderful and I highly recommend it. DP did Beer and Bubs, we did the hospital classes as well as private classes with our doula. The book I loved the most was Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. It helped me to understand that we are built for birth.
    Yes, I was full if fear at times pre labor and had doubts and tears but in the end DD decided to come fast and in 7 pushes she was out into her daddy's arms. We had 000 on the phone guiding us and the ambulance arrived 3 minutes after she was born. What an experience!