Thread: Freebirth

Default Freebirth

Has anybody ever done a free birth? Is there a 'right' as in legal way to do it? Do you always have to go into hospital?

Thank you..

i think if you go to hospital, you are not doing it right

there are different types of freebirth, but the common factor is not having a registered midwife of dr attend the birth. 1) in order to get birth certificate, medicare and centrelink organised, you will need to write a stat dec saying that you were pregnant and gave birth to a live born son/daughter on the date/time at location. 2)If you have a witness at the birth (partner/friend/doula), get a stat dec from them saying they witnessed the birth (same details). 3)If you have seen anybody during your pregnancy (GP/osteo/physio/accupuncture/sonographer) you can get a stat dec from them saying you were pregnant and they saw you at x gestation and later saw you with the newborn. 4) a stat dec from another person who saw you pregnant and saw you with the baby.

This 'evidence' of your pregnancy and birth is sent to birth, deaths & marriages in order to get your birth certificate. Some times, you will get a call saying that you need to see a dr, but this is not what the legislation says. Act to speak to their supervisor.

When the birth certificate is processed, you can then apply for medicare and centrelink services.

Thank you, that is really helpful to know, we've actually had a freebirth, but we ended up in hospital to get everything done, that in itself was too much hospital for me

Yeah, my first comment wasn't really appropriate. Hospital has its place, but if you can avoid it, it's much nicer. Especially, if bub has been born safely at home. Having to pack up and go out would be disruptive to all those yummy hormones.

Your kids will be very similar age range to my 3.

take care