... 910111213 ...

thread: Homebirth General Discussion #11

Mar 2009
    Sunshine Coast

Jen I have to laugh at the champagnes had ready, cos we did the same! I barely drank mine tho . I had ready candles and music-drum beats were good. You can never have too many towels at a water birth!

I had a transfer bag packed with birth plans in and also all my blood test results. As well as nighty and clothes for baby and me. Didn't need them, but it is good to have. Husbands are notorious for struggling to get stuff u need when they go home later. They tend to bring u random stuff u need and forget the things u don't... Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk..... I'm probably feeding my cherub

Add Ree*Ree on Facebook

Jan 2009
    Ravenclaw Tower

Loving all the tips ladies, I'm sure I'll be reading them over and over in the months to come!

Lady Neon, how are you going hun?

Artechim, that is so cool and special with the bath-time cuddle Happy belated Birthday to your little one

AFM got my acceptance letter for the CMP today, I'm so relieved! Was starting to worry that I wasn't successful, and not sure if we could afford an IM :/
    Half my face is numb atm - went to the dentist today with sore gums that are apparently just a side effect from my blocked sinus, but needed a filling done on another tooth anyway ah well, at least it's done now!

Nov 2011
    Perth

Mmm champagne.. how could I not have that on my list!! Mind you I've got the taste for a nice creamy glass of Bailey's at the moment..

I'm good Ree feeling a little bored and impatient. Starting to get some small pre-labour symptoms, hot flushes yesterday, clearing out the bowels, little bit of mucous loss, light cramping. Due date is next Tuesday.. baby is fully engaged and in perfect birthing position. Really hoping its soon!! Gonna go for a long walk & jump DH as many times as he will allow me tonight to try to get things moving! Yay to CMP acceptance. Do you know who the midwife is yet?

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

i had bailey's cravings all through my last pregnancy, and had a bottle in the fridge for post birth, and it is still there! I didn't feel like it after DS was born (celebrated with vegemite toast and a hot choc) and haven't felt like having it since.

Happy jumping lady_neon!

Yay Ree*Ree for getting in.

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

Just thought I would pop in and say hello. My home birthed bubba turned one today. In the bath tonight she stopped playing and climbed onto me and was lying with her head on my chest just giving me a cuddle. She has not done that before, except for the day she was born
    that is so cool, what a special moment for the two of you!!!

Ree: WAHOO for being accepted that really starts to make it all feel that bit more real doesnt it??

LadyN: sending you beautiful birth blessings xx So so close to bringing this baby earthside now

HotI: mmmmm hot chocolate mmmmmm

AFM: had another lovely midwife appt today. DH made a lovely minestrone and we ate leftover cake from the girls' birthday party that was on yesterday
    I just love the care and time that can be taken with these appts. They were here for 2 hours and we got to chat, have tea, coffee, lunch and have a really un-rushed appointment where we could discuss things at my own pace. next meeting is the birth plan meeting YAY!
    and i am totally stoked as today the birth pool that we bought arrived i am so excited! we now have pretty much everything bar the gloves and some medical mat thingos...wahooo!
    baby is, as i suspected fully engaged...and posterior. have to get cracking on the OFP stuff and my IM recommend some gentle positions that i should use in the pool...so now i have to heave my whale-like belly down to the local pool

Aug 2012

Hi,

I'm was a BB member awhile ago and conceived my DS through IVF, and have since conceived naturally and am due in early April. I'm 12 weeks with my first scan on Wednesday (crazy, cause last time I'd had two scans before I hit 12 weeks). I'm feeling well enough, although still occasionally breastfeeding my 2yo and finding that a bit hard as his teeth seem to sink in all the time - and only since I fell pregnant.

We are hoping for a homebirth through a hospital homebirth program in Melbourne. I've been accepted so far, but I sustained 3rd degree tearing last time and need approval from an Ob and for an uncomplicated pregnancy for ongoing approval.

I am still stuck not quite believing that I could possibly be pregnant naturally after ttcing so long beforehand, but I'm hoping it might start to feel real after the scan this week. But I have booked in my previous Doula and am excited to homebirth this time.

I know some of you and still have some of you on FB soooooo...hi

Looking forward to chatting homebirth and stuff

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

Welcome RubyShoes!!! And Big Phat Congratulations on Baking Baby #2!

I found that DD2 also got a bit more aggressive with the BF after i fell pregnant, i think it was the combo of change in taste and slowing down in production...and it was also just incredibly sore as everything was just.so.sensitive.

she weaned herself about 4 months ago, but has *just* shown a renewed interest...i'm not keen to restart, but could be handy if i get mastitis again

Mar 2009
    Sunshine Coast

Rubyshoes, I hear u, re the biting! Dd has re lactated since dd2 was born, dd is 3 now and she latched funny and often leaves little tooth marks in me! Just drives me batty! Congrats on a natural pregnancy this time around. go you good thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk..... I'm probably feeding my cherub

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

Hot1 have you seen the forum that's on the day before (2-7pm) on Childbirth and the Law? If you're interested in coming to that as well, I'm keen to give it a try. Will be taking DD2 with me. If you like, you're welcome to come and stay with me and that way we can go together. There's a website for the forum and I would love to hear some of the speakers. Some I already know and/or have heard, but I can't ever get too much of them.
    It is so tempting to come up for both, but i don't know if DS will cope with both days. Definitely coming up for the Saturday one now, and will have DS with me. My student midwife is one of the speakers.

Oct 2005
    North Queensland

Hi all!!

I'm still here. Pottering along.

Welcome Ruby

I'm still having the birth location issue but have decided not to put too much energy into it. I've been messaging the Midwife back and forwards and she has suggested she may be open to only have her there and not the second midwife however nothing will be set in stone until we've had the chance to meet etc.

Pregnancy is cruising along nicely. I can't believe I'm 20 weeks already!! It seems to be flying. Soon enough and I'll get to finally hold my babe in my arms.

Has anyone attempted to make a wrap? I've been thinking about trying to make my own Mei tei(??). They look simple enough.

Hope you're all well!
    xx

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

Sara: thought about it, then reminded myself of my genetic heritage of non-sewing type women and decided to give up the dream i am seriously naff at all things like that. I *think* that there is a thread on BB somewhere where ppl have shared their creations??? (that's where i got all inspired lol).

i also cannot believe that you are 20 weeks! wahoo! And i have just read your sig...another wee boy? Congrats xx

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

Sara, I made a mei-tai style sling. It cost me $17 for the material from spotlight and has lasted me two kids. DD1 lived in that thing for months! It is pretty basic - just a square with ties coming off the top and the sides. I got really fancy and put padding in the part that went over my shoulders and a clip instead of a tie around the waist. Even DH used it a fair bit

Oct 2005
    North Queensland

Hahaha Cassius I think we must have a similar make up. I can't sew a straight line!! But my Nan does a lot of crocheting etc so I believe its in me somewhere

I know 20 weeks!! I have to remind myself sometimes that I'm getting further. For some reason my mind is stuck on 18 weeks.

Yes we're growing a little man Still trying to come to terms with that. I'm really happy about it but I also have mixed emotions. I honestly didn't think we'd be blessed with another boy after Reid and had myself convinced the babe was a girl. The whole experience/pregnancy is still quite surreal to me. I don't think the reality of it all will really hit until we're approaching labour/birth day.

Sounds awesome Artechim. They must retail for a $100 or so yeah?? So you'd be saving a lot of dollars to make your own.

I'm sure there would be something on Youtube too.

I think I might give it a go.

Did you use it from birth? The ones I have seen look a little "exposed" to be wearing a newborn in. It will be summer when this little one comes along so it won't hurt I guess.

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

Sara: maybe you could call on the crocheting genes and do one that way i swear that i would be happy to even know how to wield a needle and thread...you shoulda seen me hack the dodgy line across the tubi grip the other day
    I can only imagine that being told you are baking another wee man must of been pretty full on; although I would hesitate to think that if it were another girl that it wouldnt necessarily of been easier...maybe a different kind of grief? I have no practical idea, but i guess the news either would require some deep soul searching and most importantly, time...

Arte: $17?!! now i am totally fuming that i cannae sew hahahaha!

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

i have at least one, probably two, old style Nursing Mother's Association mei tai's here if anyone wants them. I was going to extend the straps but never got around to it.

Aug 2012

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether a toddler would cope with being present at the birth? My DS will be 2y10mo at the time of the birth. My sister is available to care for him, but I'm not sure whether it will be at home or at her house (or a bit of both). I have some concerns about him wanting me and me then not being able to labour whilst he's there. Is there any literature in this? Any thoughts? Am I being unnecessarily anxious?!

TIA.

Apr 2011
    On cloud nine!!!

Hi rubyshoes, it was a bit of a concern of mine so I know where you're coming from. With dd2 ds & dd were already in bed and just slept the whole time! With ds2 all the children were up (it was the arvo) but my mum came to watch them and they just played happily in the lounge, apparently one asked once where I was andum just said 'in the bedroom' they were like 'ok then' and just came in to meet baby brother when I was ready. A lot of women are completely happy having their other children around and wouldnt want it any other way. (personally I'm not comfortable with children being present when there mother is clearly 'uncomfortable' at besy, not to mention the blood and other fluids they will struggle to understand are normal). Basically do what you are most comfortable with tho because it will be indicative of a relaxed and enjoyable birth

Oct 2005
    North Queensland

Cas - A crochet wrap! Thats an interesting thought lol Yeah I think no matter what babe's sex was there was always goin to be a mix of emotions. I think the whole pregnancy is going to be a mix of emotions.

Hoti - That's a nice offer. Do you have any pics?

Ruby - When I decided to have a homebirth, having my girls present was a big reason for wanting one. My girls are a little older than your little one obviously but I think the girls here could offer some great advice for you I'll be watching with interest

... 910111213 ...