... 5678917 ...

thread: Homebirth General Discussion #11

Jul 2008
    Balnarring, Vic

Sorry, I'm in WA too, just haven't changed it on bb. Same cmp we are talking about.

I did ask what had happened but just got a very vague answer. No confirmation of her leaving even, just that she wasn't going to be around anymore. My friend who was due 3 weeks after me was meant to have her as mw too, so was given a new mw 2.5 weeks before giving birth. Her initials are AR and she's received awards for her work.
    Last edited by loulabelle; August 28th, 2012 at 01:21 PM.

Jul 2005
    Sydney

I wouldn't freebirth entirely because I'd have a doula. Not sure what I'd do if there were no IMs - but given I live in Sydney, hopefully that's not a possibility!

If they were all deregistered i'd still have one of them, their skills would remain without the piece of paper.

Congrats Freya! GL with finding a m/w.

Dec 2005

I wouldn't freebirth entirely because I'd have a doula. Not sure what I'd do if there were no IMs - but given I live in Sydney, hopefully that's not a possibility!

If they were all deregistered i'd still have one of them, their skills would remain without the piece of paper.

Congrats Freya! GL with finding a m/w.
    Thanks Jen! Im going to book into the BC anyway just to keep a tie with the hospital system to keep DH happy and as a backup should the whole homebirth thing not work out.

Apr 2011
    On cloud nine!!!

Loulabelle- ah fair enough! I was scratching my head a bit coz I thought Vic didn't have a gov program (unfortunately) but would've been stoked to be corrected

Freya I hope you are able to find a mw that will support the birth you'd like. I don't know if I'd freebirth completely with ds2 it was kind of a possibility if I found I was at home rather than the 'home' in Perth I had listed with cmp, but even then had my dh and mil (whos a grand(grand!)multi-paras woman who'd be well and truely qualified to assist a 'normal' delivery. I feel confident you'll be able to find a wonderful mw though, keep us posted!

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

Vic does have gov t hb programs through casey and sunshine hospitals.

Jul 2008
    Balnarring, Vic

You're right it does. A bit different to wa's though.

I think for me, next time I won't go with a gov't program. So much has changed even since February. Luckily even in Perth with the cmp, there are plenty of IMs around. Actually met a lovely one the other day at the baby expo.... Like it really matters! I'm not even pregnant!

Congrats freya! I really hope you can find a mw. Xx

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

Is anyone thinking of going to the 'childbirth rights on the fringe' forum Sat 13th Oct in sydney?

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

nah, by then i will be too fat and grumpy are you thinking of heading up? I reckon it could be interesting.

Jul 2005
    Sydney

I might go. I am in Sydney, after all.

Is it in the school holidays? We are planning on going away...

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

just got to organise the kids. hopefully ds will be happy and healthy and can come with me, and dh or my mum can look after dd. i should be good just to come up for the day. would love to catch up if you make it Jen.

i think nsw school hols start 21st sept

cassius.

Add Beatrix on Facebook

May 2007
    within a puff of pink

Well we met our midwife on sat. She is lovely!! So laid back. Very willing to trust me and my instincts in regards to my body!!

She talked to hubby about what they supply at 37 weeks to stay here and what she can do. Explained there is 2 midwifes that will be here. Reassured him to trust my body. So he is more willing.
    She also said that when I do go into labour both midwifes will head out immediately rather then just sending one til established labour with my history and def said much safer to stay home then birth in car.

So feeling pretty positive as long as my BP stays down (which it never has but I can hope)

Jul 2005
    Sydney

just got to organise the kids. hopefully ds will be happy and healthy and can come with me, and dh or my mum can look after dd. i should be good just to come up for the day. would love to catch up if you make it Jen.

i think nsw school hols start 21st sept
    Hot1 have you seen the forum that's on the day before (2-7pm) on Childbirth and the Law? If you're interested in coming to that as well, I'm keen to give it a try. Will be taking DD2 with me. If you like, you're welcome to come and stay with me and that way we can go together. There's a website for the forum and I would love to hear some of the speakers. Some I already know and/or have heard, but I can't ever get too much of them.

Went to a birthday party for an old BBer's DD on the weekend and she introduced me to another of her HBing friends. I know, I know, I always run into HBers. She had a HBAC and another HBAC2. Love being able to get into the nitty gritty of our birth stories!

Beatrix, that sounds like it went well. Give your DP time. Mine was happy to support me, but not convinced until much further down the track. Now you can't shut him up about HB!

Cassius, you look gorgeous in your last birth photos, so I can't believe you'll be too fat. But totally understand not making the trip. Although that could be a very fun weekend, if it was both you and Hot1!

Apr 2011
    On cloud nine!!!

You're right it does. A bit different to wa's though.

I think for me, next time I won't go with a gov't program. So much has changed even since February. Luckily even in Perth with the cmp, there are plenty of IMs around. Actually met a lovely one the other day at the baby expo.... Like it really matters! I'm not even pregnant!

Congrats freya! I really hope you can find a mw. Xx
    Oh reeealy? Can you let me know who it was you met, maybe pm me? I'm hoping to be able to use my last mw but I'm not absolutely 100% sure that's a possibility yet so.still keeping my feelers out

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

Jenn: that would be fun wouldnt it?? Imagine all the HB talk we would be doing i would be unleashed as i have no audience here hahahahaha!

Homestyle: congrats on the pregnancy! I hope that you find the perfect IM match for your family! i found it all a bit overwhelming when i first started as here in melbs there are quite a few to choose from, but thankfully once you meet the 'one' you just know IYKWIM. Hope that it happens quickly for you xx

Dec 2005

Well I managed to find two IM's who work with each other when I went to a Face of Birth screening on friday. Only problem is DH is not on board with a homebirth for two reasons - a) he thinks the birth centre is a perfectly viable option and b) we can get ante natal and birth for free through the BC instead of paying $5000 for a homebirth, esp when I will be booking into the BC anyway as a backup so will be receiving ante natal anyway.

So now I have to work on convincing him it will be worth it. Ive booked into the BC anyway as a back up.

Oct 2005
    North Queensland

I was very shocked to be given the same info Freya. I can't afford what I was quoted so I've also booked into the birth centre as back up.

I'm hoping I won't need the booking but at least it's there if I need it.

One very disappointed Mama here

Dec 2005

I was very shocked to be given the same info Freya. I can't afford what I was quoted so I've also booked into the birth centre as back up.

I'm hoping I won't need the booking but at least it's there if I need it.

One very disappointed Mama here
    Yeah, I was too. But I might be forward and ask if there is any way to work out a more affordable price - say if I have 4 ante natal appointments + birth. I know that they like to have a rapport with the birthing mama but when they understand and encourage you to have backup care in the form of a GP or whatever then maybe something like that is doable. Cant hurt to ask I guess.

Jun 2012
    Sydney

I mostly have just been lurking and following everyone's lives, like the stalker I am! Haha. But I don't know where to turn today, DH is at work, and my mates are against HB. Don't mind me while I offload a bit...

I found out today my midwife's court case didn't go so great. The decisions handed down were really harsh, and I think uncalled for. The gist of it is, to continue as a HB midwife she needs to get a supervising midwife approved. There are two who have submitted applications for the position, but I wont know for about a week if they get the job or not. If they get approved that'd be great - but if the supervising MW is unavailable when I go into labour for whatever reason (attending her own patients, sick, whatever), my MW will be legally unable to attend me and I'll be "strongly advised" to go to the hospital.

If I wanted a hospital birth I wouldn't be forking over the 4 freaking grand to do it at home! My MW has asked around to see if there's another IM available to take me, but apparently they are all booked up (not surprising, I'm due Nov). Feeling pretty stressed today. Prayin that a supervisor gets approved

... 5678917 ...