Loulabelle - September
    Dot Face - October
    Eenee - November
    Sunnylove - November
    TeniBear - December
    Jennifer13 - January
    HotI - February
    Arcadia - February
    Last edited by HotI; July 3rd, 2013 at 10:58 AM.

Default Homebirth General Discussion #14

Subbing

My midwife sent me the clinical practice guidelines for Ontario midwives regarding GBS. It takes a bit to wade through, but there's some good info there!

Here are a couple excerpts.

"The gastrointestinal tract acts as a reservoir for gbs and is most likely the source of vaginal colonization. Approximately 10% to 35% of pregnant
    women are colonized with gbs in the vagina and/or rectum, with rates varying by study populations, specimen collection, or culturing techniques. (4)
    A recent Canadian study determined the prevalence of gbs colonization in pregnant women at 36 weeks gestation to be 19.5%. (5)
    When untreated, approximately 50% of infants born to gbs positive mothers become colonized and eogbsd (early onset GBS disease) develops
    in 1% to 2% of these infants. (6)
    This means that in a group of 1000 untreated women, approximately 195 will be gbs positive, 98 infants will become colonized, and 1-2 will develop
    eogbsd."

"Early colonization and infection of a neonate is related to maternal vaginal colonization with gbs. Several other factors increase the risk of eogbsd. These include: preterm birth (< 37 weeks), low birth weight, prolonged rupture of membranes, intra-partum fever, chorioamnionitis and frequent (≥ 6) vaginal exams in labour."

"Summary of Prevalence, Incidence and Neonatal Complications associated with GBS:

10% to 35% of women are colonized with GBS
    40% to 50% of babies born to colonized women are colonized when untreated (6)
    1% to 2% of these colonized babies develop EOGBSD (6)
    5% to 9% mortality rate in those babies who develop EOGBSD (10,11)

Using these statistics, if we take an initial group of
    17 500 to 50 000 pregnant women:
    5000 women will be GBS positive
    2000 to 2500 babies will be colonized with GBS
    20 to 50 babies will develop EOGBSD presenting as the following:
    - bacteremia (64% to 83%)
    - pneumonia (9% to 23%)
    - meningitis (7% to 12.5%) (9,11)
    1 to 4.5 babies will die due to EOGBSD (from the initial group of 17 500 to 50 000 pregnant women)

http://www.aom.on.ca/files/Health_Ca..._2012FINAL.pdf

There are two tables in the article which break down the risk factors and tell you what your risk is with each one, letting you know which are more "risky" risk factors, and which are less. They might be helpful to look at.

They also said that the chlorhexidine solution may be helpful in preventing infection in the baby, but a larger study is needed for definitive proof.

thanks Cricket that is awesome!!!

Hot- Thanks for the reply regarding the salt.

We had the pool blown up last time with a cover on, I laid in bed until it was filled which is the only reason I finally made it to have a waterbirth. We had a trial run last night to see how long it takes, it took nearly 40minutes to fill it up which is most of my usual labour...I loved hitting the water last time, so laying down to slow everything down is worth the wait.

I'm currently at the midwife clinic, and OMG I'm in love with these people! They're no-bull, on my side, and so supportive! The doctor is fantastic so far, he told it as it is and is so damn friendly...

who is the dr?

Dr Andrew S.lutzkin (I'm guessing without the dot that'd be censored...)

He heard how unhappy I was with Amelia's birth and how I blame myself, and basically told me its okay to feel that way but don't for one second blame myself as I am now. I really needed to hear that, much as I didn't realise. He told me I was "allowed" to be p**sed off - in those words He also cuddled a baby doll through most of our chat because Amelia handed it to him and was watching what he'd do

Just a quick note about the salt- didn't use any for labour or birth, but it was in my herbal bath after the delivery and my midwife recommended using it in the bath for a few weeks for helping the perineum to heal.

Glad your appointment went well, Teni sounds like you've found you're match.

For those talking about salt, I has no idea last time. Just used plain water.

Afm- finally found the perfect mw. I dropped the government funded program as I have heard too many bad stories lately. The midwife who I had last time isn't there anymore anyway and that was my main reason for trying the program again. Their transfer rate has skyrocketed too.
    I feel so calm with my choice, my mw is absolutely perfect for me and I feel so excited about the rest of the pregnancy

Subbing

Hi ladies

It's been a while since I've chatted in here. Life got in the way and I had to give up my love of birth chat. I hope to be able to pop in every so often... I miss the birthy chat in this thread. I'm excited to see so many babies on the way. I need to read up and catch up on everyone's news.

No salt in our birth pool either and I second having it blown up. I only got to use it for a few hours as well, before and after birth. We had the whole room set up for days before hand. Also handy to check hose connections and length as well.

Glad to hear about successful m/w hunting!

No salt in our birth pool either. And yep we had our pool blown up few weeks prior also and was good because we found it had a small hole so was leaking, DH fixed it though so was all good by the time we needed it. I remember I was overdue with DS and to a note in our mailbox telling is the following day they were turning the water off all day. I was like nooooo I need it in case I go into labour lol luckily I didn't as what a pain that would be!!!

ETA: have 12 week u/s booked for the 8th of may! Hurry up already! Lol

I think we had letter saying the electricity was going to be turned off one day when DS was almost here. in the middle of summer!
    our back up plan was to take the pool to the fire station cos they have emergency generator electricity.

Just subbing

Just thought I'd share this, since I thought it was kind of neat.
    I was out at the grocery store with the four youngest kids today and a older man came up to me and said "What a nice bunch of children you have!"
    And I said "Thanks!" And we talked a bit about kids, etc... And then he said "My daughter has six kids. Her husband is a firefighter, and he's delivered 5 of them, at home in their jacuzzi tub" And I said "That's great! Homebirth is such a nice way to have a baby, I think. We've had a bunch of ours at home too."
    It's always nice to run into someone who thinks that larger families, and home births, and even water births are great. And what are the chances that it would be an older man, met out of the blue at the grocery store!

double post

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast