Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Homebirth General Discussion #14

Yes I think it's normal to want different people at the birth and at the appointments. I also think you need a few options because midwives have other clients and lives that can prevent them from attending the birth. Why not ask for the backup midwife to be the one you want at the birth, then ask the student to be a support person. Then your primary midwife is the one you want for antenatal.

I have known I wanted my 'team' from last time since before I fell pg and thankfully feel strongly supported. It wasn't an option to have dd's team reunite for ds due to politics in the group, so last time was new again and that was ok too.

You just need a person who you feel safe with. With my midwife I get such a sense of relief when I see her. It's like coming home.

I wish I could use the same midwife as my last two births, but unfortunately she doesn't fly up to Queensland just for a birth (no idea why really haha)

My midwife may feel differently if he changes position all the time, but he's been stuck in this position for the last 4 weeks and hasn't budged, so I don't know if that means something is stopping him from moving position, or he's stubborn! I'll see the midwives tomorrow anyway.

I'm in the same position Arimeh. We've moved so if we have another baby I'll be having new MWs regardless. I am now FB friends with my MW and I love her more every day so I wish I was there still because I would have her again.

I'd love to have the midwife I had with DD3 and 4. Unfortunately, she broke her ankle badly just before I was expecting DS, and after her time off, switched to part-time work in a neighbouring practice. She was my favourite - experienced, capable, calm, and visits with her were always like a visit with a friend - lots of chatting about anything and everything, no feeling of being rushed, and lots of info and stories to share. My midwife with DS made me crazy, but the practice was very full and scrambling to fit me in, so I couldn't switch. She said the oddest things and was always second guessing herself. In the end, she knew what to do to deliver DS who was in a difficult position (brow presentation posterior) and I was thankful for that, but we never did click at all. My current midwife, who I also had for my last pregnancy, is closer to the first one - she's been practicing for ages. She worked across the border before midwifery was licensed in our province, and has lots of experience. I don't get quite the same friendly vibe from her as with my first midwife, but we get along pretty well. I was a little annoyed with her at my last birth though, because she kept wanting me to get out of the water! She wouldn't check me or break my water in the bath, (which had been done in previous deliveries at my request) and she was insistent on my moving into a different position for delivery, (which wasn't a problem before) and she was very hesitant to let me deliver the placenta in the bath. (in the end it came so fast, I was in the bath anyways, but had to get out immediately afterwards.) Maybe these are all things that kept me safer, and the other midwives were being a little sloppy - who knows? I also remember begging her to tell me how much longer it would be before I was done (must have been transitioning - it was tough at that point!) and she said "well.... you're not going as fast as I thought...." which was not a bad answer, but it made me feel like I was disappointing people, and that I should be going faster, and that it was going to be a long time yet, etc. (DD was born about 2hr after they arrived, if I remember correctly) Funny how those little things stick with you, eh? All in all though, I am happy to have her taking care of us during this pregnancy. She is doing a job-share with another younger midwife who I've met a couple times, and she seems fine. Common sense and down-to-earth. She may or may not be at this birth, depending on when I deliver. And then I have a second midwife who I like pretty well. She's the one who gave me all the info on GBS, and I really appreciate that! She will most likely be there as well.

But of a disappointing appointment yesterday, K&J were at a birth so I saw one of the other midwives. We just didn't gel together. She was nice enough, and I can't point to anything in particular that was wrong, it just didn't feel like she was the right person to be taking the appointment

All is well though, and I am going to have the morph scan after all. I wanted to discuss it with Kelly but instead just grabbed the referral and went on my way. No harm in it, and we might even get printouts for the first time this pregnancy

I think my favourite moment in the appointment was Amelia handing my mum a knitted vulva/vagina, complete with pubes Poor mum didn't know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by HotI View Post
    for those whose midwives are medicare eligible, do you think this affected your relationship at all?

how much did you get back from medicare for appointments?

would you go with a midwife who wasn't comfortable with breech homebirth? are there any conditions that would be a deal breaker for you?
    My m/w was not eligible last time, but is this time. I just need to get my GP to sign the referral form (which won't be a problem because my GP is supportive of my HB). Made no difference to my choice, but then, if I keep picking EDDs in the first week of Jan, I'm a bit limited for m/ws!

Not sure how much I'll get back, but at the end of the day, most of her fees I get back from my PHI. Thank goodness we kept the expensive cover, we'll practically break even over two years on HB payments.

My m/ws and the group they practice in support breech birth in hospital, but not at home. I haven't asked if it was a surprise breech what they'd do, but since they have attended I would guess it would proceed at home. They have a second m/w attending as well.

In Sydney, I think we're fairly lucky (now). Westmead has a vaginal breech clinic and a couple of the m/ws have visiting rights at that hospital. Alternatively, Dr Andrew Bisits (breech guru formerly in Newcastle) is now at RPA Randwick. If I was able to choose, I'd go with the latter, but I suspect the proximity of Westmead to my m/ws would probably win out. Mind you, as little as two years ago we had no options for vaginal breech birth here at all.

Had my first official m/w visit today and thanks to DD2 waking about seven times last night, I felt like complete crap. I am not enjoying pg with a toddler! I think DD2 might be my most high maintenance child. She takes after DP so much in personality. She'll make a lovely adult - now just to get her there!

16 wks now. Almost half way.

Jen that's great you have a few vagunal breech options.

Pg with a toddler is certainly interesting. I think it's more challenging than a newborn and toddler because of the lack if energy and nausea I get in early pg. can't believe you're 16 weeks already!

We have a couple of vaginal breech birth options in hospitals around here. One requires you to get the works- epidural, CAT scan, birth in OR etc etc. Another one lets you labour in a pool and then you have to birth in the OR but there are no more 'restrictions'. The whole thing still creeps me out as birth in hospital doesn't seem very safe for mothers or babies in my opinion. All that poking and prodding after birth. But at least you would go in with a private MW and crazy birth plan I guess. I think I'd look into freebirthing options with an unregistered caregiver if it came to that.

ETA: And BTW how the hell does having an epidural assist a breech birth?? Surely being flat on your back and closing your pelvis is a terrible position for breech birth?
    Last edited by meow; July 19th, 2013 at 07:29 AM.

I have heard about a vbb guru in melbourne too, and then i saw a breech birth video where he was the dr and it scared the crap out of me. so many restrictions on the women and interventions, and women are so grateful for having a dr that will 'support' vbb that they kinda have no choice but to accept what he says or face losing a chance at a vb.

Yeah, restrictions, epis, etc, seem counterintuitive for what we do know about breech birth. Ass-covering, to say the least.

I read a birth story in the latest HAS mag on a breech birth with Dr Bisits and his philosophy is very hands off. I'm pretty sure if you went in with an IM and clear birth plan you'd have a better shot at Westmead too, since I know our m/ws have collaborated with that ob before too.

You'd think they'd be more pro-drugfree for vaginal breech, considering it's even more important to "wiggle" baby into a good position, but there's so many standard interventions it's surprising anyone manages it! I'd be happy to give it a shot at home myself, but only if my midwives were.

Quote Originally Posted by TeniBear View Post
    You'd think they'd be more pro-drugfree for vaginal breech, considering it's even more important to "wiggle" baby into a good position, but there's so many standard interventions it's surprising anyone manages it! I'd be happy to give it a shot at home myself, but only if my midwives were.
    Pretty sure Jan doesn't do home breach, she prefers transfer. She's one of the more conservative midwives I believe, not that that's a bad thing.

Yep, I was going to add that I thought she wasn't comfortable with breech at home because I know L&B transferred under her care, but I couldn't remember if that was the reason or not. Obviously I hope that doesn't happen, but if I had to transfer I'd prefer it happened for a reason like that than something a lot more serious

After all my complaining about my appointments not coming around fast enough when they were three weeks apart, I went and booked the next one for FIVE weeks later

hahaha Teni...you are going to find that final week before the next appt drag lol!

I actually said to the receptionist that I wanted it four weeks later, but neither of us noticed she skipped a week when she counted it out lol - I don't mind, 22w is just as exciting at 21w. That is to say, not very exciting at all

New THREAD time

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718