Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Homebirth General Discussion #14

that is so super cool cricket...i wish i met people like that with those sort of stories!!

Re: strep test. didnt do it for DD2 or DD3. Although when i went into preterm labour with DD3 I requested to only be tested once I was in established labour and it was certain that she was definitely going to come out. they tried to test me then and there but then told me that I would be on bedrest and hopefully labour would stop (which it did). so i told them that there was to be no test done until i was well and truly in labour. I took an assesment of the risk/benefit ratio and realising that if born she would be prem and we wouldnt get as good a care (ie so closely monitored and one on one) in the hospital i felt that in the circumstance of her definitely arriving that the strep test had a place. but thankfully with complete bedrest for weeks i was able to stop labour

HotI: that would of been kinda cool to lug the birth pool to the firies hahaha.

Loulabelle: woo hoo!!! so excited for you!!! living vicariously over here hahaha

Teni: oh man! i am so so happy! what a wonderful guy!! is he through your midwifery mob?? they are so so lovely over there. i did my pregnancy yoga there and they were super cool. pity that i had to stop so abruptly with the preterm labour

Eenee: it'll be here before you know it!! such exciting times...wish i had another one to plan....even after a horror night like last night of being up every 1.5 hours

I am insane lol

I know it's usually once a month we're "supposed to" have midwife appointments until later on, but since we've had our first so much earlier than usual, I'm thinking have the next around 12w - six weeks away. Do you all think that's alright, or should I be sticking to one a month anyway? Is there anything they really do this early on? I'm just going by what I remember from hospy stuff, I wasn't even booked into either hospital until around 18-20w. Before that I just went to the GP and told them what I wanted them to do... It feels like I'm starting all over again!

Default Homebirth General Discussion #14

Nah, I personally don't think there's much to do until after around 20 weeks, aside from all the usual bloods etc if you choose to do them, but a GP can handle that. We only started at around 17-20 weeks I believe.

I usually don't see anyone until 10 weeks, and then again at 14 weeks and 18, etc. They don't do much, really. It's nice to hear baby's heart beat, and they did order some blood work to check iron levels, etc, but there was nothing too crucial. If you're feeling well, then I wouldn't worry about it!

Hi Everyone...
    Teni if you want to make another appointment go for it. You sound really excited and perhaps you need to go back and check in again. I have been different with every pregnancy. My third baby first homebirth I didn't get a midwife till I was 30 weeks, I went to a GP for rhesus tests in the beginning and and ultrasound referral but that was it. THis time after two mc I was in denial for about 16 weeks, I didn't want to see anybody until I made it past 14 weeks at least. But since then I have wanted t meet with my middy and get to know her a bit more before bubs arrives.

Birthroom is set up, I have to wash and sun some towels and put in my clothes and baby clothes on the shelves in there but everything is done. I have started washing baby gear, 3 loads to wash all the cloth nappies I have. Dear dear dear someone has got a cloth nappy fetish!!! I washed all the wool/silk clothing tonight, so tiny, it made me feel a bit excited. I have had some nice bursts of energy the last few days so I am getting things done while the energy is there.

Only about 4 weeks to go... yipeeee. Midwife this week and we also spend time with the backup midwife too, then it's weekly apts. I know the whole pregnancy is a process but I am always interested in the little niggly kinks that need to get sorted out emotionally in the end. Especially between my husband and I, every little hurdle that we overcome and meet eachother on builds a deeper trust in our relationship, it's so beautiful...

Hope everyone is traveling well x

not long at all Ladybirdflies!! eeepppp!!! so so excited for you!

I hear you on the ironing out at the end of pregnancy. it is so therapeutic and part of the nesting i reckon: to help solidify those bonds with those that will be there to love and support you through this transition of bringing a new person earthside.

x2!!!
    Last edited by Cassius2; April 29th, 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Just had 20w scan and everything looks hunky dory. And we didn't find out sex. Just another 20 or so weeks to go. The kicks of this bub are intense compared to DS who had an anterior placenta.

Oh my this thread has exploded with more delicious babies and mums.

I haven't 'met' lots of you yet, so excuse my rudeness in jumping in and saying a quick shout out to meow, who has been MIA for waaaay to long.

I am also thrilled to hear loulabelle and teni are liking your new care providers.

Too much info to read tonight so I will pop back when I've had a proper read.

How many of us are on our second or more homebirth? Do you find you "re-live" your labours/births when you're in that same spot? My home babies have been born in my bath, and I like to have a pretty much bath every evening when I'm pregnant (I'm often cold when I'm pregnant, and a warm bath before bed is SO LOVELY!) Anyways, I often lie there and look around the room and remember labouring and delivering, and sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's not so good, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I can only remember the transition times, which are always kind of miserable, and get tense and nervous about going through that again.... Trying hard to remember that those times are short, and mean everything is almost done!

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well!
    LBF - love the final preparations for baby! It's the best laundry to fold.
    WilliamsMummy - happy to hear you had a good scan. We're over the hill now - we can start the countdown!

HI Everyone

Congratulations williams mummy, glad the scan went well!!

Cricket, this is my second homebirth and we are in a different house, I am filled with such wonder of what will happen this time. THe room is all done and looks amazing, but I can't imagine where everyone will stand and what it will be like. I love the not knowing and the deep surrender to that with everybirth.

I had midwife and backup midwife apt yesterday, it was great and noisy with all the kids there. We made some 'plans' so many scenarios and options, so not holding onto anything but saying some things out loud to check we are all on the same page. My shortest birth was only 50minutes and I wonder what it will be like this time. I had some great ouchie contractions five mins apart today and I was thrilled, just saying yes yes... this happens on and off for about three weeks before birth, so today I really felt how close we are to baby time!! Even on baby number four, I feel like I am learning so much about myself and deepening as a mother and wife, gosh what a blessed person I am to experience this again!

Going to see the new Ina May movie this weekend, I cannot wait. Has anyone seen it yet?

grrrr! double!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
    Oh my this thread has exploded with more delicious babies and mums.

I haven't 'met' lots of you yet, so excuse my rudeness in jumping in and saying a quick shout out to meow, who has been MIA for waaaay to long.

I am also thrilled to hear loulabelle and teni are liking your new care providers.

Too much info to read tonight so I will pop back when I've had a proper read.
    Thanks!! I feel the same.. waaay out of the loop but I am super excited to see all these babes being born at home <3

LBF, I saw the Ina May movie at a preview screening last year and loved it. Kind of like a doco of Spiritual Midwifery.

Seen the doctor about my rash (see photo in my album) and he goes just let me consult with Dr google lol, well at least he was honest in not knowing haha but he had never heard of PUPPPS so he called in another Dr and she thinks its PUPPPs but wants to review me in a week.

Had 12 week ultrasound today. Bub looking all good (from what I can tell!) but seriously he started measuring uterus and stuff first...I'm like stop me stressing and show me a heart beat!

Quote Originally Posted by Eenee View Post
    Had 12 week ultrasound today. Bub looking all good (from what I can tell!) but seriously he started measuring uterus and stuff first...I'm like stop me stressing and show me a heart beat!
    Haha! Get to the important stuff dude!! So glad all is well

I just realised you're Em!! OMG, you're pregnant again! Congratulations. So wonderful to see you onto another beautiful HB

Quote Originally Posted by TeniBear View Post
    I know it's usually once a month we're "supposed to" have midwife appointments until later on, but since we've had our first so much earlier than usual, I'm thinking have the next around 12w - six weeks away. Do you all think that's alright, or should I be sticking to one a month anyway? Is there anything they really do this early on? I'm just going by what I remember from hospy stuff, I wasn't even booked into either hospital until around 18-20w. Before that I just went to the GP and told them what I wanted them to do... It feels like I'm starting all over again!
    I think a 6 week break at this point sounds fine. But I wouldn't keep leaving it ages between appointments. I did that with my MW and I regretted it as I was bursting to talk to her and form that bond early on... but she sort of forgot me a bit between our first and second appointments which were ages apart. In hindsight I would have paid the couple of hundred for a couple of extra appointments early on.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast