Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Homebirth General Discussion #15

Do you take magnesium? Brilliant stuff for a million things, including cramping, and it seems we use a stack of it in pregnancy as most women seem to end up deficient.

Meow is on the money. Magnesium and potassium. Go see a naturopath, they can give you supplements.

Yeh I wouldn't take potassium unless you've spoken to a professional, coz it can affect your heart muscles.

Default Homebirth General Discussion #15

I was skeptical to Williamsmummy, cos I am a nurse, but the dosages in supplements are the equivalent of eating a banana. They are over the counter meds from naturopaths who know how much we can supplement and be safe. Obviously taking large doses of vitamin or mineral is dangerous . But I am referring to the kind that is safe in pregnancy

I took them with dd1, because I got dreadful cramps that woke me from sleep early in pregnancy. It was horrible!!

I have magnesium so ill take it! My moms a naturopath and I'm studying nutrition currently. I feel stupid for not thinking of that haha thanks ladies!

Oh the joys of a mushy pregnant brain!!

You're entitled to mushy baby brain. That's why you lean on your village- we'll help out

i took a cal-mag supplement worked a treat for quite a long time last pg

Cal-mag has worked every pg for me. I get awful leg cramps without it.

I would classify a naturopath as one who would know how much you can take, so alls good.

Ok so the idea of blissful herbs for my gf's blessing way idea was great! It was the one thing she really wanted. But she did some work for Julie at blissful herbs and got blessed with a huge box of lovely herbs! So back to the drawing board!

Anymore ideas ladies???? Need help!

I've been taking a calcium/magnesium supplement for the past couple weeks and it has helped the leg cramps, restless legs, and pms/crampy feeling quite a bit. I think it also helps me sleep better. How/why does it work though? And if it's stopping muscle cramps/contractions, am I likely to go into labour later?

About birth and getting in the right head space - I was just reading this quote here on BB yesterday and it made me feel a lot better. I've been up and down about the upcoming labour - wavering from feeling OK with it, to feeling near panic. But I found this pretty comforting - from Abraham Hicks. The rest of the quote is a little too touchy/feely/mystic/whatever for my taste, but you can find it as a sticky in the Birth section here.

"Your body knows what to do. Every cell in your body is vibrationally readying itself for this birthing process. The cells of the fetus and the cells of your body are all in
    the perfect position and getting readier every day, they all know what they're doing. Trust it. All you have to do is stay out of the way. And the way you stay out of the way is by being happy. The way you get in the way is by being sad. The way you stay out of the way is by appreciating and basking and acknowledging positive aspects. The way you get in the way is by worrying and fretting..."

I've also been stressing about getting this baby in to the "perfect" position for birth, and worrying that if he's not, I'll have a terrible time, etc. If I felt him kick on the left, meaning his back was on my right, it would send a wave of butterflies through my stomach, thinking "oh no, he's going to be posterior...!" I'm not going to look at Spinning Babies any more. I'm going to keep sleeping on my left side and hope for the best. Baby is head down, nice and low and has room to move, so I'll just enjoy the kicks, wherever they happen, and let it be. Try to stay out of the way, and be happy.

Bella - do you want something practical, or a memento of pregnancy/birth....? Maybe the gift of a prenatal photo shoot? (If you can find someone semi-reasonable - prices can range quite a bit!) Ummmmm..... a baby sling or wrap? Special baby blankets? (I love my Aden and Anais swaddlers, but the price has gone through the roof since Prince George came home in one....) Birth and baby books? Art work for the nursery? Spa gift certificate for before or after baby?

....hic....

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    I've also been stressing about getting this baby in to the "perfect" position for birth, and worrying that if he's not, I'll have a terrible time, etc. If I felt him kick on the left, meaning his back was on my right, it would send a wave of butterflies through my stomach, thinking "oh no, he's going to be posterior...!" I'm not going to look at Spinning Babies any more. I'm going to keep sleeping on my left side and hope for the best. Baby is head down, nice and low and has room to move, so I'll just enjoy the kicks, wherever they happen, and let it be. Try to stay out of the way, and be happy.
    Yay! I am so glad. I think spinning babies and OFP can put unneccesary pressure on mums. Not every posterior birth will be hard, not every optimal position birth will be easy. I figure just move as your body tells you during labour. Let your hips and pelvis do their thing. Let baby finds it way out.

Bella, Pregnancy massage? I had one a few hours before DS was born and it was lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

Just in response to this. For my first pregnancy, I laid on my left side from about 20 weeks, I did EVERYTHING right. The consequence for me was that I ended up with a screwed up back and in lots of pain because I didn't listen to my body I listened to all the ofp experts. Baby was still lop when I went into labour. With my second I just did what made me comfortable. My back was great and I was happy. I trusted myself in all things and had a really relaxed pregnancy. I did go into labour with an op baby. Labour was 12 hrs and baby turned during labour and was born oa. If you want more support about that decision, read Rachel reeds, "in defense of the op baby" on her midwifethinking site. It is a good perspective. Sounds like you are already in a better heads space at the moment. So I will just say I think you are on the right track.

The reason taking calcium and magnesium supplements work cricket is because deficiencies of these cause increase in the excitability of both the nerve endings and the muscles they stimulate. Potassium deficiency can also be seen to do this but more often associated with muscle weakness.

New thread HERE

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617