Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Homebirth General Discussion #16

Default Homebirth General Discussion #16

Welcome to Homebirth General Discussion. Are you planning a homebirth? Or perhaps think that might be something you would like to know more about? Then this might just be the thread for you.

This thread is for general discussion about all things homebirth. Whether you are pregnant, TTC or just want to support those who are venturing on the path you have walked, please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences.

You might also like to check out these links:
    Having a homebirth in Australia
    Home Birth?Why It's Necessary By Ina May Gaskin
    Independent Midwife recommendations in Australia

Your Moderators of this forum are:
    Lily Dust - Moderator
    Jaycee - Moderator
    Teeki - Moderator
    Cassius2 - Moderator

Your Administrator of this forum is Rouge. You can contact her by email or if you prefer one of the moderators.

Moderating Team Contact Details

If at any time you'd like to make a suggestion (which we always welcome!), provide any feedback for this forum or make a complaint, please contact her by email or if you prefer one of the moderators.

We appreciate all your feedback as it does help to make our forums a much happier, relaxed place to chat! Your comments will be taken seriously and treated with confidentiality, so please feel free to contact us anytime!

You can find the previous thread HERE

Babies Arrived

- 2012 -
    Jennifer13- Baby GIRL born at home 4th January 2012
    Bella29- Baby GIRL born at home 10th January
    HotI - Baby BOY born at home 21st January
    *Ash*- Baby BOY born at home 14th February
    loulabelle - Baby BOY born at home 24th February
    Cricket - Baby GIRL born at home 15th May
    chocorama - May
    ...Em - Baby BOY born at home 7th June
    BellyBelly - Baby GIRL born 11th August
    Tanya - Baby BOY born at home 16th August
    phynna - Baby GIRL born at home 8th September
    lady_neon - Baby BOY born 27th September
    Ambersky - Baby BOY born at home 3rd October
    Cassius - Baby GIRL born at home 4th November
    Ice cream - September
    mirriumu - November
    Pumpkinzulu - Baby GIRL born at home 12th December

- 2013 -
    Sara - Baby BOY born 18th January 2013
    turtlejane - Baby GIRL born at home 31st January 2013
    Bellany - Baby BOYS born 14th March 2013
    Ree*Ree - Baby BOY born 18th March 2013
    Aimz - Baby BOY born at home 21st March 2013
    Beatrix - Baby GIRL born at home 7th April 2013
    Rubyshoes - Baby BOY born at home April 2013
    Dollyroux - Baby BOY and GIRL born 29th April 2013
    HomeStyleMumma - Baby GIRL born 8th May 2013
    ladybirdflies - Baby GIRL born at home 23rd May 2013

Babies On Their Way

sepata - September
    WilliamsMummy - September
    Arimeh - September
    Cricket - September
    Loulabelle - September
    Dot Face - October
    Eenee - November
    Sunnylove - November
    TeniBear - December
    *The_Mrs* - December
    Jennifer13 - January
    HotI - February
    Arcadia - February
    Glorious - March

"The reason taking calcium and magnesium supplements work cricket is because deficiencies of these cause increase in the excitability of both the nerve endings and the muscles they stimulate. Potassium deficiency can also be seen to do this but more often associated with muscle weakness. "

Thanks Eenee! So it's not likely that I'll "suppress" labour by taking them then, right?

In those amounts it shouldn't have an effect.

I would think if anything, it'll make labour less painful and more effective. I don't think it would have any impact on when you labour though.

Bella - thanks for sending me over to "midwife thinking" I've read some of her stuff before and liked it, but now I've finally bookmarked the page.

Arimeh - back on the getting baby lower thing - a mum on another forum was talking about this, and someone recommended getting a piece of stretchy soft fabric, (like a baby wrap, sort of) and then lying down on top of it on your bed until baby settles back, and then wrapping it snugly, but not too tight, around your belly to help hold baby in, so that he can move down into your pelvis better. Might be worth a try...?

AFM - feeling baby pretty low. Losing a bit of plug now and then. Bit of an acne break out. (ugh!) Waiting....waiting....waiting. Feeling like a time bomb, ready to go off any time, but no idea when. Not too uncomfortable yet, but I'd love to be on the other side of delivery soon, holding this bean in my arms, not my belly.

Very excited for you cricket! I go into labour a day or so after I lose my plug. Things are obviously changing in your cervix! Many many birth blessings love.

Cricket - he doesn't move down when I lie down, his butt is firmly in my ribs. Making me cranky. I think you will go first out of all us September mummies! Exciting!!

Sounds close, Cricket! Also sounds like you're in the right headspace now.

Sept is right around the corner.

Cricket: hopefully not long now.

So many September babies, how exciting!

Still really struggling at the moment and not sure what to do, have another MW appointment on Thursday so will speak to re again. My recent weight loss has put me back into all habits/mind sets of wanting to lose weight and too many familiar feeling flooding back...and not exactly healthy for me to be losing weight this stage of pregnancy I guess. Thank goodness for a private midwife whom I'm trusting enough to tell...feeling rather lost though.

What are we going to do when September's over? The thread's going to be so quiet

Eenee do you have a mental health professional too?? Who did you see when your ED was at its peak? I really think you and your MW need to get further assistance.

Cricket it does sound like things will happen sooner rather then later!

AFM it appears we are moving some time before babe comes.. Hopefully well before I am to fat to do anything but then again maybe that is a good thing! MS is still terrible which makes working hard.. I have to deal with a lot of smells that at the best of times make my tummy churn.. But now it is even worse :/

Glorious I was hospitalised for a few months at its worst. We are working on getting me to see someone but services here are all too busy.

Eenee I hope they get you in ASAP. Is there anything,we as your online ears, can do for you?

Quote Originally Posted by glorious View Post
    Eenee I hope they get you in ASAP. Is there anything,we as your online ears, can do for you?
    Thanks, because I refuse medications services are more reluctant to take me on and I feel like I don't matter. So very thankful my MW is the only one that seems to care.
    Listening is good, other than that I'm not sure what else can be done...just have to believe that all will be ok I guess.

Eenee - I really hope this ends up just being a little "bump" on your pregnancy journey, and that soon you are feeling healthy and well again.

Some bleeding (which really surprised me!) and mild contractions here today, steady for an hour or so, but everything has settled down again.... Just having the occasional mild contraction every 15-20 min now. My primary midwife is off this weekend - comes back on tomorrow morning. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
    Last edited by Cricket; August 26th, 2013 at 05:07 AM.

Cricket- Eek! It sounds like things are preparing to happen!

I have a question concerning where we will sleep after birthing at home. We are having the birth pool downstairs as our upstairs is cramped. Will I have the energy to climb the stairs right afterwards? Or should I figure out a way to make up a bed downstairs next to the pool?

It's impossible to say exactly what you will feel like after baby is born, but if you're like me, you'll feel exhausted initially, and want to just rest for a little bit, and wherever you gave birth will probably do fine for that. Then you might feel the after birth "high" and feel like you could climb a mountain. The stairs won't be an issue if that's the case. And, if you find that they are, send your DH or a midwife or someone to just grab a pillow and a blanket or two, and rest right where you are.

Still sitting here, with DH home, kids shipped out, feeling like a watched pot.... Occasional contractions, but nothing major at all right now. I told DH that the kids should come home, but he says he wants them to sleep over at his parents, just in case things pick up tonight. Moving them at 2am wasn't super great, from his perspective (and theirs!), last time. If all is quiet in the morning still, they'll come home and we'll carry on.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast