Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Homebirth General Discussion #16

Cricket! Thinking of you!! It might be time to start lighting candles and bringing baby into your heart.

Eenee, sending lots of hugs. I'm glad you have your IM. Do your family understand the strain you're under? I think you need lots more help!

The Mrs, I always feel shaky after baby is born and can't walk unassisted so I would struggle with the stairs. My second stage is fast though so my body goes into shock. Both times I have struggled to sleep but you need a comfy place to lie down. I would consider making a little nest near the birth pool with a mattress and pillows and blankets and some books or magazines or iPad etc so you can get cosy after baby is born.

i don't bounce back quickly after birth. i had a mattress moved down after the birth close to my birth spot and near the midwives.

Blessings for a beautiful birth, Cricket.

OMG Cricket!!!!!!! I knew you would be the first haha! Many blessings for a beautiful birth going your way xxx

Thinking of you Cricket. Actually, I'm stalking you! Whenever you don't post for an hour I keep thinking you're giving birth!

I was exhausted after giving birth. I needed to hop straight out the pool which suddenly seemed cold and then I wanted to lie straight down and then the after-birth contractions started and I was in so much pain. I was glad we had the sofa bed in the same room I birthed as I plopped straight onto that for the first 30-40mins. I would have been fine on the floor with a blanket and pillow under me though. After that I moved to the toilet and birthed the placenta then I went to my bed. It was all on the one level, though after birthing the placenta I had a little more pep and could have done the stairs after that. Baby was also attached to me still up until that point too so stairs would have been hard while being shaky tired and carrying the baby.

Meow reminded me. I actually spent a couple of hours just lying on the kitchen floor with a sheet over and under me waiting for my placenta. It was after this and i was helped to the toilet that i then collapsed back on to the mattress that was brought out. My house is all one level, but the hallway seemed too long for me to make it down to my bed. I wasn't sleepy though, despite being up all night and the student midwife bought me hot chocolate and vegemite toast to me on my mattress. It was nice just snuggling with DS, and knowing the midwives were right there if we needed them.

We had a fairly small house and I was at the opposite end of the house from the toilet so I pretty motivated to make the walk there to assist getting the placenta out. It took a while though, which lots of support. Once I was there I was about 2-3 metres from my bed so the final mile to the bed was easy. The MWs sat on the bed with me or else popped in and out but were very close still.

I think having a bed beside the pool is a good idea in case you can't move. Best to be prepared for that and be able to relax.

Ooh exciting cricket. Will be stalking.

Nothing here yet ladies. Did have one stronger contraction that started the bleeding up again. Baby is really low, IMO, but I don't think I've dilated a whole lot yet. Mostly just resting and enjoying the quiet house.
    DH has let me know that he's quite willing to help the process along in whatever way he can.....

Hahahahahahaha!!! I bet!!!!!!

many many birth blessings Cricket

Can i ask why y'all got outta the pool to deliver the placenta? I have birthed both in the pool....they float like jellyfish through the water

I was cold and sick of hanging around in the water. It suddenly lost of of it's appeal and I was tired and wanted to lie down.

I think I will have to get out of the bath to birth the placenta - I'm a bleeder! And I'm sure my midwives will want to keep a close eye on my blood loss, which has only happened after I delivered the placenta both times.

My placenta took over 4 hours. After a couple hours in the pool, i was tired and wanted to get out.

I got out of the pool with DD1 because she was getting cold. She wasn't in the water much and was wet and started getting goosebumps so I moved to the bed and did the placenta thing. Also, my waters broke as she came out and it was all mec filled, so the whole bath was a foul shade of green and not overly appealing to stay in for long.

I stayed in the pool with DD2, although it didn't come after a couple of pushes so I handed her off to DH and stood up to push it out and then just got out. Not really my thing to hang around in there for long after all is done.

I haven't birthed in water yet, but my mw said they prefer that I birth the placenta out of the water so they can monitor blood loss.

I took about 40 mins to birth the placenta. It wasn't coming in the pool before it started to cool too much. I had no contractions at all after DD2 was born but getting up and going to the toilet made it just fall out. I'm sure it was just me holding it in until then. I then moved to the couch for a rest, baby's checks and mine. After a little while I popped upstairs to bed. My muscles were sore the next day but I still managed up and down the stairs, albeit slowly! Never actually occurred to me that that might be an issue.

Worth pointing out that my labour was quick and I didn't lose much blood. I was very much on a post birth high. Tired, but it was about 2am before we went to bed. Lucky I'd had a nice long nap in the afternoon.

Thanks ladies! I haveno idea how ill feel because my first I had tons of drugs and an epidural so I was shaky for ever after and i tore badly. My second was a cesarean so the recovery was obviously horrifying. I'm most excited for this homebirth so I can feel semi normal in a day or two!

Agh, don't talk about placentas, it's the part I'm looking forward to the least I hate that plopping squishy sensation, give me a nice firm baby head any day

I have to get the images from "Hello Baby" out of my head. I will NOT be labouring through a cold windy night, and I will NOT snuggle up in front of a warm fire afterwards! Not only am I due in the middle of summer, we don't even have a woodfire Most likely I'll sweat my way through labour, then chug cold water afterwards

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast