Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Homebirth General Discussion #17

How is everyone??

Had my GCT today, wasn't as bad as it used to be. They seem to have improved the recipe so it's not as gross And the actual blood test went very well. It helps that Kelly is amazing at doing bloods, so I hardly felt it

We talked a bit about how I envision my birth, which was fantastic. Haven't really talked about it until then, and it felt good to be able to. We also had another flick through my notes from Amelia's birth - Kelly loved how I'd made some snarky notes of my own throughout, along with things I wanted to discuss

Amelia was a bossyboots again - when Kelly was doing my blood pressure, Amelia grabbed the Doppler and started pulling my dress up to put it on my belly In the end, Kelly just helped with the positioning and Amelia held it there Bub's high and head down at the moment, which explains why I'm feeling the swifter movements at the top and slower ones around the middle of my belly.

How's everyone else travelling? Any newbies joining us, I wonder?

At 35 weeks and baby's movements are starting to hurt every now and then :/.

Have the big things organised for its arrival like birth pool (oh crud just remembered need to get a liner), bassinet, MCNs, few unisex newborn clothes, nappy bag. Having a baby shower on the weekend too.

Feels good knowing I don't have to organise a hospital bag, might do one JIC of emergency though. Shall see.

Hope everyone's doing well .

I'm next after Loulabelle I believe, very start of November for me (edd on the 1st). Eek excited!

And just ordered the liner which cost me more than the actual pool itself. -_-'

Have heard on the grapeline that Loulabelle had her baby.

Such an exciting time, Dot Face!

either that was an expensive liner or a cheap birth pool Dotface

so exciting that you are so close now!! which reminds me that my Miss E is almost ONE!!!

Yeah cheap pool lol got it for $50 secondhand with tarpool and hose .

Oh and congrats to Loulabelle!

Congrats Loulabelle! Hope you can pop in sometime and give us an update and share your birth story with us.

DotFace - getting the stuff ready for baby is so fun, isn't it?

Teni - glad to hear that your appointment and GTT test went well. I never minded that drink so much either. Not great stuff, but nothing too terrible.

Caleb has been up and down lately - some great nights, where he's up to nurse every three hours, and then right back to a peaceful sleep, and then some bad nights where he's up every hour and grunts and squeaks and squirms all night long, no matter what I do. The past two nights have been more of the bad kind, so DH has taken the kids to church this morning so I can have a nap.

Has anyone read the "Stand and Deliver" blog? I just came across it, and am finding lots of stuff I like. The writer is a Dr. Rixa Freeze, and she is a mom of four, all home birthed and one (her first) a planned unassisted homebirth. She has her PhD in American Studies and did her dissertation on unassisted childbirth in North America. She has her birth stories and pics and video there, and quite a bit of info on various pregnancy, birth, and parenting topics. Google will find it for you if you're curious.

I didn't mind the glucose drink either. I didn't do it last time though. Still deciding whether or not to this time. Anyone have any strong opinions either way?

I suppose I could start thinking about a birth pool. I didn't use it last time but seems smart to have it just in case.

Discuss your risk factors with your midwife, Special. I am very low-risk for GD, so I've skipped the test in my past three pregnancies. If I had any of the risk factors (besides being over 25) then I'd be more interested in taking it.

About the birth pool - I haven't used one of the "real" birthing pools, but I sure do love my bathtub for labour/birth! I'd recommend it as an option at least!

...hic...

Kelly has a great article on how GD is more a statistical diagnosis than a medical one (if I read it right!) in the articles section from a couple of years ago. I was an abstainer for the previous two and will be again. I'd much rather pee in a cup later in the piece if the MWs are still antsy about it!
    Birth pools are lovely, even if you don't birth in them. We did a trial run the week before, in 2009, and that was great to do, so we knew how long we had for filling up for go time. I birthed in the FBC bath the first time and borrowed birth pool the second and will source one again for this one.
    Just popping my head in here now - nearly 15 weeks gone, and just need to confirm the back up secondary midwife, who'll be travelling from Melbourne. None of it will attract a rebate as none of them are insured, and the hospitals and GPs around here are under a strict directive not to collaborate...so much for 'collaboration'! They think it will get them in legal trouble if they do, but from what I understand it doesn't open them up to liability, just sanction from AMA (or maybe the AMA will threaten to pull their professional indemnity insurance, then it becomes a legal issue??). Anyway, my GP is sympathetic but unable to support (but says she won't leave me in the lurch...she's a bit hamstrung).
    So, not as straightforward, this birth planning, but we'll get there Literally, we'll be paying for this one from cattle sales, but we know its worth it, this time, where last time (first HB) I was still convincing DP about the merits of paying so much for a private MW team.
    I've had a username change, for those wondering who the hell I am!

Babies Arrived

- 2012 -
    Jennifer13- Baby GIRL born at home 4th January 2012
    Bella29- Baby GIRL born at home 10th January
    HotI - Baby BOY born at home 21st January
    *Ash*- Baby BOY born at home 14th February
    loulabelle - Baby BOY born at home 24th February
    Cricket - Baby GIRL born at home 15th May
    chocorama - May
    ...Em - Baby BOY born at home 7th June
    BellyBelly - Baby GIRL born 11th August
    Tanya - Baby BOY born at home 16th August
    phynna - Baby GIRL born at home 8th September
    lady_neon - Baby BOY born 27th September
    Ambersky - Baby BOY born at home 3rd October
    Cassius - Baby GIRL born at home 4th November
    Ice cream - September
    mirriumu - November
    Pumpkinzulu - Baby GIRL born at home 12th December

- 2013 -
    Sara - Baby BOY born 18th January 2013
    turtlejane - Baby GIRL born at home 31st January 2013
    Bellany - Baby BOYS born 14th March 2013
    Ree*Ree - Baby BOY born 18th March 2013
    Aimz - Baby BOY born at home 21st March 2013
    Beatrix - Baby GIRL born at home 7th April 2013
    Rubyshoes - Baby BOY born at home April 2013
    Dollyroux - Baby BOY and GIRL born 29th April 2013
    HomeStyleMumma - Baby GIRL born 8th May 2013
    ladybirdflies - Baby GIRL born at home 23rd May 2013
    Cricket - Baby BOY born at home 26th August 2013
    Sepata - Baby BOY born at home 31st August 2013
    WilliamsMummy -Baby BOY born at home 17th September 2013
    Loulabelle - Baby born September
    Arimeh - Baby BOY born 20th September 2013

Babies On Their Way

Dot Face - November
    Eenee - November
    Sunnylove - November
    TeniBear - December
    *The_Mrs* - December
    Jennifer13 - January
    Special - January
    HotI - February
    Arcadia - February
    Smoke Jaguar - March
    Bella29 - May

Mummas of Little ones who left too soon
    Glorious
    Ladybug

Welcome back Smoke Jaguar! i had to look at some of your old posts to work out who you are.

Had 20 week ultrasound today. Everything looks good. Am happy to have last external involvement this pregnancy, should be able to just grow my baby and birth it now.

Decided not to find out sex, so will have to wait now til February sometime.

Are you feeling baby move yet hottie??

I saw the midwife today and discovered baby is head down! I cried SO hard because I did not think this was possible and really thought my homebirth was going to be long gone. This means I will get MY birth!

YAY! that is great news The_Mrs!!

HotI: you have a much stronger resolve than I i can never ever hold out to wait to find out gender lol.

Special: i did the test with DD1 (didnt know you could not do it ITMS). then with dd2 and dd3 i did a bit more research for myself and long discussions with my midwife and opted to not to do it. risk factors were virtually non existent and we agreed that with the type of one on one care for mums and bubs that monitoring during pregnancy and post birth would be sufficient JIC something did arise ITMS.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast