Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Homebirth General Discussion #18

Default Homebirth General Discussion #18

Welcome to Homebirth General Discussion. Are you planning a homebirth? Or perhaps think that might be something you would like to know more about? Then this might just be the thread for you.

This thread is for general discussion about all things homebirth. Whether you are pregnant, TTC or just want to support those who are venturing on the path you have walked, please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences.

You might also like to check out these links:
    Having a homebirth in Australia
    Home Birth?Why It's Necessary By Ina May Gaskin
    Independent Midwife recommendations in Australia

Your Moderators of this forum are:
    Lily Dust - Moderator
    Jaycee - Moderator
    Teeki - Moderator
    Cassius2 - Moderator

Your Administrator of this forum is Rouge. You can contact her by email or if you prefer one of the moderators.

Moderating Team Contact Details

If at any time you'd like to make a suggestion (which we always welcome!), provide any feedback for this forum or make a complaint, please contact her by email or if you prefer one of the moderators.

We appreciate all your feedback as it does help to make our forums a much happier, relaxed place to chat! Your comments will be taken seriously and treated with confidentiality, so please feel free to contact us anytime!

You can find the previous thread HERE

Default Re: Homebirth General Discussion #18

Babies Arrived

-2012-
    Jennifer13- Baby GIRL born at home 4th January 2012
    Bella29- Baby GIRL born at home 10th January 2012
    HotI - Baby BOY born at home 21st January 2012
    *Ash*- Baby BOY born at home 14th February 2012
    loulabelle - Baby BOY born at home 24th February 2012
    Cricket - Baby GIRL born at home 15th May 2012
    chocorama - May 2012
    ...Em - Baby BOY born at home 7th June 2012
    BellyBelly - Baby GIRL born 11th August 2012
    Tanya - Baby BOY born at home 16th August 2012
    phynna - Baby GIRL born at home 8th September 2012
    lady_neon - Baby BOY born 27th September 2012
    Ambersky - Baby BOY born at home 3rd October 2012
    Cassius - Baby GIRL born at home 4th November 2012
    Ice cream - September 2012
    mirriumu - November 2012
    Pumpkinzulu - Baby GIRL born at home 12th December 2012

- 2013 -
    Sara - Baby BOY born 18th January 2013
    turtlejane - Baby GIRL born at home 31st January 2013
    Bellany - Baby BOYS born 14th March 2013
    Ree*Ree - Baby BOY born 18th March 2013
    Aimz - Baby BOY born at home 21st March 2013
    Beatrix - Baby GIRL born at home 7th April 2013
    Rubyshoes - Baby BOY born at home April 2013
    Dollyroux - Baby BOY and GIRL born 29th April 2013
    HomeStyleMumma - Baby GIRL born 8th May 2013
    ladybirdflies - Baby GIRL born at home 23rd May 2013
    Cricket - Baby BOY born at home 26th August 2013
    Sepata - Baby BOY born at home 31st August 2013
    WilliamsMummy -Baby BOY born at home 17th September 2013
    Loulabelle - Baby BOY born at home 17th September 2013
    Sunnylove - Baby GIRL born at home 2nd November 2013
    Eenee - Baby BOY born at home 22nd November 2013
    TeniBear - Baby GIRL born at home 21st December 2013
    *The_Mrs.* - Baby GIRL born at home 31st December 2013

-2014-
    Jennifer13 - Baby GIRL born at home 1st January 2014
    Arcadia - Baby BOY born at home 30th January 2014

Babies On Their Way

Special - January
    HotI - February
    Smoke Jaguar - March
    Bella29 - May
    Ozstar - May
    Sterla -August
    Meow - August
    e_p - September
    Tegam - September
    Last edited by HotI; January 30th, 2014 at 08:36 PM.

When I am on my phone, on tapatalk, if I click on the link to a new thread, it takes me to completely random threads.... Does this happen to anyone else??

Baby's drawers are all in place so I can start getting her stuff together. My list is shortening as fast as my remaining weeks. DP is under instruction to have an air compressor within a week so we can test the pool. Well and truly nesting here now, but not so much because the baby is close, more because we're trying to keep up.

Sister has booked her flights to be here for the birth. Just needs to figure out how to get her camera equipment here.

Hope everyone has had a nice weekend.

Oh how exciting Jen!!!! So close for you now! Can't wait to hear your news!

Afm- well I am struggling at the moment to keep a positive perspective on this pregnancy. My last one I was way more zen and happy. But I am 17 weeks tomorrow and still vomiting at times. I am already feeling heavy and tire easily. The ms weeks I could barely walk, and spent 90% of my time on my back. Anyway I am grumpy. And I am worried if I am this intolerant now, what am I gonna be like at 40 or 42 weeks?? *sigh*. I just wanna enjoy this, it may be my last, but it is taking its toll. I'm 34 this time, perhaps that is making it all worse? I dunno. Please send me some grateful vibes pretty please ladies??

Bella, I found the first 20 weeks hard work but I have truly enjoyed it since. I'm aged 30 this time compared to 25 with DD and I can certainly tell the difference! It's a resilience I think. Don't force yourself to be anything but how you feel. Once the sickness eases you'll find yourself suddenly in a different mindset. No idea about tapatalk sorry.

Jen I really need to get nesting but am so caught up with other stuff!!! Keep posting because it helps motivate me!

oh yeah, bella. I am struggling to find the joy this pregnancy, but still trying. and getting scared, because this is meant to be the good bit before the tough end bit.

it has been difficult to even think about the coming baby, cos im just wishing the.pg to be over. however, recently I decided on boy name and girl name- and DH.even liked them both, so that was a big step forward. also started cleaning out kid's stuff, and dropped first bag to charity bin, and that felt good too.

have had few chats with dd about the baby coming out, and it is kinda cool to watch her working things out. she is talking more about maybe being at the birth, so will see in a few months. I guess it will be exciting news for show and tell if she is there at the birth.

what foods are good to reduce swelling? I have carpal tunnel again, and would like to reduce symptoms if possible.

Hospy appointment all over and done with. It went fairly well, aside from two instances of people trying to be condescending

The reception women have each other "looks" when I explained why I was there (they didn't have my appointment in the computer) and the older one wasn't happy I didn't have a "real" referral from a GP instead of a midwife. Then they seemed to think I was transferring care, so I got to do a urine test and they gave me an appointment book that'll never be used

After an hour or so I saw some other guy, who I think was a midwife or a nurse, and he was alright. Just filled out some paperwork, had a bit of a laugh over some things, blah blah boring. I got a Bounty bag too, which makes up for not getting one from them in 2009/10

And then came the OB - one I'd never met before. As I said, he tried to be condescending But I wasn't having any of it so he was a bit confused. He said something like "I wouldn't recommend any homebirth because the risks outweigh the benefits" so I just went "Yep, I assumed that'd be your opinion, but I'm happy to go ahead with it and so's everyone else involved in my pregnancy." He was stumped, and just sort of spluttered at me for a bit. I was perfectly nice throughout, of course, just practising my kill-em-with-kindness, no-bull thing I think he tried to take it out on me when he was doing a quick check of bub and blood pressure too, he was a bit rough, but that could just be the way he is with all his patients. He left the room hardly even giving a sign we were done, so that just capped off my opinion of him. I'm glad I shouldn't have to see him again! Even if I transfer there'd be only a small chance of getting stuck with him.

Now on to have a nice couple of relaxing, all-about-me weeks before bub comes I still can't believe it's only a few more days until I'm (early) term! This has been such a boring pregnancy, I could do this for a few more months! (Remind me I said that in a few weeks once I'm over it )

Bella, I haven't really enjoyed this pg and I've had nowhere near the amount of complaints that you and other Mummas generally have. I just felt it more, closer to the last pg and even busier with a toddler and a primary school child. Lots more running around, no time to think or take a breath. I def felt the challenges were a bit more exaggerated this time, although I find my second tri to be more difficult physically. The days I would love to just have an hour to lie down and take a nap...! And the night time interruptions with DD2, esp at the start, really got me down. Not to mention, DP's studies this time around, leaving me on my own with both kids for some weekends and evenings. I wondered if it was because I'm older, but I honestly think it's just because I'm busier. I really do believe that women's bodies get stronger as they get towards 40, hence the great marathon runners at that age, so I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that I'm getting to old for this just yet. Plus, if we do have another in a few years...

Starting to feel a bit more worn out at the end of the day now, despite getting plenty of sleep. Pretty sure it's just me slowing down as I drag around an extra 25% on my poor body!

Just popping in to say a tentative hello.

I am 5 weeks pregnant with bub # 3, and hoping very much to have a homebirth this time. With DS I had an emergency c/s, then a couple of years later had an all natural, drug free vbac with DD at an independent birth centre. I have already contacted the midwife I had with DD and she is happy to have me again. When I meet with her at 16 weeks I'll talk to her about the possibility of me having a homebirth this time.

I've talked to DH and he is on board. He said it would just be like my birth with DD, except in our house, and this means we can have our other two with us to experience the birth too.

Anyway, very early days, but I thought I would introduce myself. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions in the weeks and months to come .

Welcome and big congrats sterla!

Thanks for all the empathy girls. I am really appreciating hearing the stories. My last time I think I had such a good run, that I am struggling with struggling with this one. But I will work on my attitude, and keep trying to maintain a good perspective.

Yay Sterla!!!!! Your homebirth would be amazing with Anna by your side, I just know it.

Bella - I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with this pregnancy, I've had a few rough ones as well so you have my sympathies. If you wanted to catch up for a cuppa any time, let me know

I've been somewhat avoiding this thread, its still hard to get my head around DS2's birth - so much so that I'm pretty much avoiding my midwife. I was supposed to go for his 6 week check with her, but I couldn't do it. I feel like a fraud for even coming in here and I'm not exactly sure if I should see someone about it or not. I had the MCHN come and see me the other week, they do some home visits up here in our area, and she asked me questions about the birth. Not only could I not look her in the eye while speaking, I had chills when going through what happened and I started to get all teary. Plus I went to a birthday party with DD1 a few weeks ago and the other mothers there asked me about the birth, and I got teary when telling them as well.

Definitely not a perfect end to my birthing journey, and I fear that I've damaged the kids permanently - DD1 tells me all the time that she is not going to have any children because "it hurts". They all heard my screaming that night (what can I say, a hole in the uterus hurts more than normal contractions do!) so now I just feel stupid for doing that to them. *sigh*

Anyway, thats why I've not been around in here......

Aw, big hugs, Arimeh. You have plenty of time in the future to talk to your DDs about the various birth journeys you've had and why this one isn't what you hoped for, or would wish for them. They're still young enough that the short-term memory will fade, but the way you talk about birth (once you've had time to process everything) will make a much more lasting impression. I know the biggest message I took from birth from my mother was her constant re-telling of my (somewhat traumatic and difficult) birth and not the relatively easy births she had after mine. And I still ended up here! So don't stress, you haven't scared/scarred them for life. You, on the other hand, have a lot more to deal with.

Sterla - welcome! Sounds like you'd be a great candidate for HB and to have a m/w you already know is a bonus. Having DD1 at DD2's birth was fantastic. Being at home after the birth is another plus and I think it really helps everyone bond together. I know I really felt the difference between my two births not leaving home. Our family seemed more of a unit immediately.

I'm not intending to have DD2 at this bub's birth at this stage. She's too young and too emotional. Either she'd want to get in the pool with me or she'd be upset watching me or both. I tried watching a birthing video on YouTube with her, a very mild one, and she started getting upset as the baby was coming out, even with minimal fuss! I think it'll all happen while she's asleep upstairs anyway, and she can just toddle in when she wakes up and meet her new sister. She looooooves babies and that will amuse her no end. Then I can pass baby to Daddy and give her a bf and her day will progress as normal, just with the added interest of a little sister. Fx!

arimeh :hugs: I have noticed you haven't been posting, and been hoping you doing ok. I think your story is an important homebirth story. it shows that sometimes circumstances change what happens, and the power of mumma and good support people who recognize when things are not going smoothly. I empathise with your feelings on sharing your story, I hated the mother's group 'birth story' chats, and couldn't participate, and just felt ****. it took me a long time before I could share with friends/ffamily and some still don't know.

go easy on yourself.

Oh Mel . Of course you still 'belong' in here. I can't even begin to understand how traumatic your birth was for you. I mean, I know the details, but I cannot even begin to comprehend it in any real sense. I did notice how hard it was for you to talk to the MCHN. Your little man is only 2 months old, your birth is still very fresh. I think time and talking about it when you are able to will help. And I am always, always here for you - you know that xx

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone .

Hugs Mel. I think what you are dealing with is really normal given what you have been thru. That was a really tough birth. And i think it will take you time to process it. Especially since you have lots to keep you busy and not a huge amount of space in which to just sit with it and let it be what it is. When you have time and space maybe do a formal debrief. Either with your midwife or with someone else who can help you to unpack it all and look at it. Your feelings are valid and understandable. Big hugs mamma. And I would love a catch up!

Arimeh. I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, so just big squishy s

Hey ladies. I made a huge post but then we moved to a new thread so I think it was missed. Hope everyone is doing well!!

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast