Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Homebirth General Discussion #18

Default Re: Homebirth General Discussion #18

The_Mrs spinning babies website had a story of vbbac2 with a bicornate uterus today. thought you might be interested. if you can't find it, i can send you the link.

I recently heard that it is better to not have the pool fully blown up for a long time before filling (even though thats what we did), there is higher chance of punctures or something when you fill it. I will have mine pretty close to blown up though, and just need a blast to make it tight.

I stored mine in the shed on a blanket. It's where the air compressor is too.

Start filling it before you think you will need it. (get someone else to i really mean) YOu can always top it up with hot water, if it turns out to be too early.
    Last edited by HotI; December 2nd, 2013 at 09:44 AM.

Hot1- I read that story today!! And loved it

Oh wow! i have missed so much with our move out of melbourne and losing internet for way too long!

Eenee: YOU HAD A BABY!!!!!! Congratulations!! Sounds like it all went awesome....you HAND PUMPED your pool??!! dude, you must have the best and strongest guns in town after that hahahaha!

it sucks butt that DH is dropping the ball. that is not fair. especially given the not so easy pg journey you've had. does he always tend to go a bit distant after a baby is born? i know that my DH suddenly feels the need to fix everything that is wrong with our house which drives me bonkers as it makes him totally unavailable to help me out with the new baby...but it passes. it's like he needs processing time. but that also means that i need mothering time too: which is something i have never had. might consider a post natal doula or something if there is a next time.

SJ: argh! so uncool that the support network is just not there for you it is such a sad reflection on our society that what should be a time of togetherness and specialness (growing and birthing babies) is, instead, a journey fraught with judgement, fear and isolation. I mean, there are supportive places and people out there, but in general, the environment in which we bring our children into the world kinda sucks. i felt that isolation this time around more acutely as i too have found the lack of belly buddy group activity a bit sad. and despite living in what is almost the HB capital of victoria (just behind the country town i have just moved too lol) at the time, i knew no other HBers in the area and would of loved loved loved to have had other women and families to connect to on that level. also, being my third, there was just less celebration of the pregnancy and upcoming baby in general which i found confronting. there was no blessingway or connection/anticipation by my community: it's almost as though they felt that because it was my third that i didnt want/need it to be still special?? maybe?

Teni: you are awesome. so happy that you were able to get along to the booking in appt. I thankfully have never had to do one as my IM has an arrangement with the womens for that paperwork stuff. it wouldnt really suit my PTSD to have to go in, but i guess if i did have to i would cross that bridge....maybe...could i keep calling in sick at the last minute??

Jen: so close! sounds like you might end up with a bedtime birth then if you would prefer DD2 to not have to be there!

Sterla: welcome! so exciting! planning a HB is so much fun!

Bella: i found my third pg the most challenging. so much less time for recuperation. my MS lasted a lot longer and was much more evident. i lived in seabands for 22 weeks lol.

The Mrs: i can highly recommend the blog 'birth without fear' as they have fabulous stories and support for HBACs the big fear of uterine rupture must be scary. i guess it may be worth keeping in mind that there is a bigger risk of it happening in a primagravida woman who is induced...and they do that allll the time in hospital without emphasising the rupture risk IYKWIM. have you spoken to your midwife about your fears yet? it can be very cathartic to do so (and apologies if you are freebirthing...i have been out of the thread loop for too long!)

AFM: well, have just moved to a new town where the HB rate is 22 times the national average DH is keen to give the HB services a go...me, less so haha. I was so rocked by DD3s first year of seizures etc that i am yet to feel strong enough to have another...despite the awesomeness of having a gaggle of little people underfoot.
    Last edited by Cassius2; December 3rd, 2013 at 01:25 PM.

Ahhh, been watching birth videos for a good portion of the day and I feel sooooooo relaxed and calm about this birth, here in this moment. So good to take a break from my busy head

I got together most of what will go into my transfer bag last night - but I can't find the actual BAG I wanted to use I'm sure I won't need it for transfer, but some of the stuff will be used after the birth in any case - baby's first outfit etc. - and I want to have it all together. Ooh, new thought, I might pop a wrap in there too so I can wear baby in the hospital But which one?

Ok, am working on my alternative plans (if my ultimate plan doesn't happen), and want to have some people that i can call on (if midwife gonna be awhile, dh at work, need help with kids....). So, i am looking at people who live close to me, and i have someone in mind, but i'm not sure how to address it with her. It seems a bit wierd to say "so, what's your thoughts on homebirth?", but i kinda want to know where she is starting from before i actually ask her if she wants to be on my list.

How have other people started that conversation?

I had couple of dodgy comments and eyerolls today 'you are not doing that baby at home thing again, are you?' followed by discussion on why i should be in hospital bc i have a hernia. ?? neh, whatever.

Teni, i had all my stuff in one place, but not actually in a bag. Just had a bag kinda in the same area so it could be packed if needed.
    Last edited by HotI; December 4th, 2013 at 04:41 PM.

teni: i had all my birthy stuff in a bag that could be dragged either into the birthspace or into the car. i had another wee little bag with all my hippy birthy stuff stuffed inside the main bag so that i wasnt throwing bubs beanies all over the joint while trying to find clary sage oils and the like in the lead up to labour etc.

how much does placenta encapsulation cost? is it dependent on no of capsules or set price? (I have big placenta).

any recommendations for Melbourne based people?

ta

My sister usually charges $150, and it is usually just per placenta, not weight based etc. but talking with melb girls last time, they said it was closer to $250-$300 with the people who they got quotes from.

I encapsulate mine myself...really need to get around to doin it! As really needing it right now!

Totally and utterly exhausted...

Well, I've made the bold decision not to bother with a post-maternity (aka hospital) bag. Partly, I can't be bothered and partly I just don't see the need this time. It'll just be more of a PITA to have to unpack it afterwards or dig things out. I am very much into sorting things out and having it the way I want it pre and post birth at home now. It has been driving me nuts that we have stuff lying around, etc, and we are almost on top of things now. The last thing I want is an extra bag in my recently-cleared wardrobe/bedroom to bother me!

Getting all scripts and oxygen sorted this week. DP is getting the air compressor, picking it up Thurs at this stage. Then he can sort out the hose attachments, since he wants to redo it. Counting down here now. And quite pleased that the end is close. Feels like it's been a very busy couple of months to get to this stage.

I'm not sure of placenta encapsulation fees. My m/w does this, if I did end up with a decent bleed, I'll get her to take my placenta when she leaves and do it for me. If all is good, I won't bother. I'd be more concerned the placenta pills would accelerate my already overwhelming milk production!

Incidentally, I'm still managing to bf DD2 without a noticeable change in supply or change from milk/colostrum atm. I think it's getting to the stage where I'll be worried if I do notice a change - that it might indicate impending labour! I am starting to be a bit more assertive at ending a bf, just because I don't want to have to start when her baby sister is here. At least she'll be used to Mummy saying, "bye, bye, boo-boo" by then, so if I feel time is up, she can toddle off.

Thinking of you, Teni. Beautiful birthing vibes your way.

I don't think any transfer/post-labour stuff is making it into a bag here now either - I really can't be bothered trying to find the bag I want, and then making it all neat like I wanted to... Bleh. It's at least all in one spot now, so can be shoved into whatever bag is handy if I do transfer.

Sooooooo, been feeling a bit "off" today, started messaging PZ about it, and now I'm having small teeny tiny twinges :eek: I'm not holding my breath, I know it could still be ages until anything actually happens, but I REALLY hope this turns into something and bub comes tomorrow morning. It'd be wonderful to have another "10th of the month" birthday in the house I can haz labour vibes pleeeease?

Soooo many vibes! I've put dinner on early, bathed the kids and I'm considering jumping in the shower, just in case

Oh Teni! sending beautiful birthing vibes your way! Light a candle and open your heart to this babe coming earthside. It won't be long now.

Afternoon all, this is my fifth baby but what I'm hoping will be my first home birth... I have wanted one since my first baby but lived in an area where there was no one available to home birth.
    But have decided this is my final baby... So it is definitely something I don't want to regret later down the track that I never did despite desperately wanting it!

My last baby was "5 weeks early" according to ultrasound but 37 weeks according to my LMP which the doctor ended up agreeing with once baby was out and checked over so there were no complications there even though she was little ( barely 5pound!) (shes now 14months) baby before her was early term 37weeks and he was 6 pound 7 (he's now 2and 2months) DS2 was 9pound 11 and born 2days over due DS 7 pound 6 and born a full week over.

Absolutely no tearing excessive bleeding or any intervention of drugs etc at all through out any of my labours.

So hopefully this means the midwife I choose will agree to a home birth... Or I can at least get in to the birth centre...

I live just outside Toowoomba Qld. I am 7+1 today due july 27th and morning sickness is HORRIBLE.

I did read through the previous posts and am already so excited to hear all the stories and share mine with you all.

To all the mums getting ready to deliver I'm sending you some lovely birthing Ju Ju and hope its an easy happy birth for everyone xo

Hmm, so I've started timing these "twinges"/small cramps, and they're following an odd pattern. 30-ish second length, then an hour and a half, a minute-long one, twenty minute break, another 30-second one, and repeat. So nothing really substantial, no pattern that would usually indicate actual labour, but a definite pattern of sorts. :-/

Welcome ms taira good luck finding a mw, pretty sure there are ones out Ipswich way... Not sure if they service toowoomba or not.

Tenibear- how exciting it is all happening for you!! Do you know how baby is positioned?? Is it possible baby isn't well applied to the cervix or something and sitting high? Not that I worry to much about that stuff, but I notice in labours where things start out slow and intermittent that it can be due to funny possi, or baby sitting up high, which is fairly common with second third fourth babies etc. anyway wishing you many birthing blessings and a joyful birth. Xx

Last time a MW checked, baby was head down but a bit to the side (sort of between oblique and normal cephalic position, if that makes sense?) but I've felt a couple of large movements/flips since and *hopefully* he or she has moved into a better position. Still not engaged as far as I can tell though. I've got an appointment today anyway so we can check again. Though of course I'm hoping everyone will already be here by then and I'll be holding bub

Yay!! That would be lovely . Good luck honey, and I hope you get some good rest in the meantime.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast