Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Homebirth General Discussion #21

Default Homebirth General Discussion #21

Welcome to Homebirth General Discussion. Are you planning a homebirth? Or perhaps think that might be something you would like to know more about? Then this might just be the thread for you.

This thread is for general discussion about all things homebirth. Whether you are pregnant, TTC or just want to support those who are venturing on the path you have walked, please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences.

You might also like to check out these links:
    Having a homebirth in Australia
    Home Birth?Why It's Necessary By Ina May Gaskin
    Independent Midwife recommendations in Australia

Your Moderators of this forum are:
    Lily Dust - Moderator
    Jaycee - Moderator
    Teeki - Moderator
    Cassius2 - Moderator

Your Administrator of this forum is Rouge. You can contact her by email or if you prefer one of the moderators.

Moderating Team Contact Details

If at any time you'd like to make a suggestion (which we always welcome!), provide any feedback for this forum or make a complaint, please contact her by email or if you prefer one of the moderators.

We appreciate all your feedback as it does help to make our forums a much happier, relaxed place to chat! Your comments will be taken seriously and treated with confidentiality, so please feel free to contact us anytime!

You can find the previous thread HERE

Default Re: Homebirth General Discussion #21

Subsrcibing...

Kelbell, my MW is about 2.5 hours away form me and we are preparing for the possibility that I might birth without her. I will be having a chat with my doula abouthow she feels about thatl.she has attended sveeral freebirths. I totlly get what you are saying about ambulance officers. I would call them if something went wrong.

That's why I had a hb with my 3rd as it was going to be quick, my Mw trained DH and I what we should do and most importantly said trust my body to do what it wanted. We ended up free birthing as she didnt make it and an ambulance was never suggested or called. This pregnancy the midwife has reassured me she won't miss the birth, she said she is happy for a million false alarms the week leading up to bubs (as that's what I do) she said she was just happy to keep coming for long cups of tea and sleeps on my lounge. But in saying that she is very causal about me just birthing the bub by myself and has never mentioned an ambulance.... I'm having my 'birth' planning meeting in the next few weeks so we'll see if its mentioned then...

Babies Arrived

-2012-
    Jennifer13- Baby GIRL born at home 4th January 2012
    Bella29- Baby GIRL born at home 10th January 2012
    HotI - Baby BOY born at home 21st January 2012
    *Ash*- Baby BOY born at home 14th February 2012
    loulabelle - Baby BOY born at home 24th February 2012
    Cricket - Baby GIRL born at home 15th May 2012
    chocorama - May 2012
    ...Em - Baby BOY born at home 7th June 2012
    BellyBelly - Baby GIRL born 11th August 2012
    Tanya - Baby BOY born at home 16th August 2012
    phynna - Baby GIRL born at home 8th September 2012
    lady_neon - Baby BOY born 27th September 2012
    Ambersky - Baby BOY born at home 3rd October 2012
    Cassius - Baby GIRL born at home 4th November 2012
    Ice cream - September 2012
    mirriumu - November 2012
    Pumpkinzulu - Baby GIRL born at home 12th December 2012

- 2013 -
    Sara - Baby BOY born 18th January 2013
    turtlejane - Baby GIRL born at home 31st January 2013
    Bellany - Baby BOYS born 14th March 2013
    Ree*Ree - Baby BOY born 18th March 2013
    Aimz - Baby BOY born at home 21st March 2013
    Beatrix - Baby GIRL born at home 7th April 2013
    Rubyshoes - Baby BOY born at home April 2013
    Dollyroux - Baby BOY and GIRL born 29th April 2013
    HomeStyleMumma - Baby GIRL born 8th May 2013
    ladybirdflies - Baby GIRL born at home 23rd May 2013
    Cricket - Baby BOY born at home 26th August 2013
    Sepata - Baby BOY born at home 31st August 2013
    WilliamsMummy -Baby BOY born at home 17th September 2013
    Loulabelle - Baby BOY born at home 17th September 2013
    Sunnylove - Baby GIRL born at home 2nd November 2013
    DotFace - Baby BOY born at home 9th November 2013
    Eenee - Baby BOY born at home 22nd November 2013
    TeniBear - Baby GIRL born at home 21st December 2013
    *The_Mrs.* - Baby GIRL born at home 31st December 2013

-2014-
    Jennifer13 - Baby GIRL born at home 1st January 2014
    Arcadia - Baby BOY born at home 30th January 2014
    Special - Baby BOY born at home 6th February 2014
    HotI - Baby GIRL born at home 23rd February 2014
    Smoke Jaguar - Baby GIRL born at home 18th March 2014
    Bella29 - Baby BOY born at home 13th May 2014
    Ozstar - Baby GIRL born at home 20th May 2014
    Sterla - Baby GIRL born at home 30th July 2014
    Meow - Baby GIRL born at home 26th August 2014

Babies On Their Way

e_p - September
    ladybug - September
    Tegam - September
    phyrephly - September
    kellbell - September
    Last edited by HotI; August 27th, 2014 at 12:05 PM.

My m/ws didn't make it to DD3's birth but I made DP hang up on 000. Lol I didn't want them coming, my m/ws were on their way and on the ph. I trusted that a fast birth would be a good birth and we were fine. My m/w sent a closer m/w to get to me ASAP. My doula also arrived very soon after the birth. As long as I knew they were coming I felt okay. Poor DP wasn't, but he did what I said and got through it.

If I have another I will have my primary m/w again but a much closer m/w as well. I had two m/ws for both of my previous HBs but clearly I need someone who can get here in about 15 mins, not 45.

I will also be calling my m/w to come as soon as cx start! I won't be riding out 'early labour' waiting for things to get serious.

I cannot get my head around a birth being so quick! You ladies rock! My labour with DD was 36 hours from first contraction to her being out! As a result, my midwife has never mentioned anything about what to do if she didn't make it in time haha!

There are so many variables, Sterla. My best birth emotionally was not the fastest. And I know which one DP preferred!

Every birth is it's own achievement and journey. I am inspired by mamas who work hard at birth to achieve the best outcome for themselves and their babies. I love reading birth stories of all kinds. Women are amazing!

I have had quite a few MWs raise concerns about making it to this birth. It's because we live on the border of two "regions" and most of them either live right up north or way down south of us and there is TERRIBLE commuter traffic here so they could actually have a hard time getting to us quickly and given it's our third they're all aware it may be speedy. But I've had a fair bit of heads up of early labour and progression before so this time around we'll likely call them to come in earlier labour than we have before.

AFM... still unsure Sterla. I wish I had an obvious connection to one MW over the other. The first one we communicated really well and I felt very confident in her competence and experience in this area. Her knowledge of all the hospitals, resources etc is very strong and I find that very reassuring in case of transfer or needing medical care at any time as we don't know the area or the American system as well and I think making sure we're supported in that way would be a good thing.

The second MW has perhaps a more 'earth mama hippie' kind of vibe which I really connected with. She exudes calm and love and all the spiritual stuff I was looking for. But for all that I'm having trouble knowing for sure if her 'trust in women' is really that solid because my previous MW 'trusted women' too but seemed to lack confidence in anything slightly off the norm. She could be nothing like my previous MW but do have some fears of "what she ends being like that?". She told me she watches all of Lisa Barrett's youtube videos which I thought was pretty cool.

I guess I feel like the play it safe side of me is leaning towards the first MW but then I'm a sad to let this wonderful crunchy MW go!

Subbing

Well, I've just chosen the first MW. I don't think I'll still feel settled over all this until I start having real appointments with her. Ugh. Hate how much one mess up can do your head in and it has me second guessing everything!

That's great you've made a decision! I hope she turns out to be the perfect fit for you xx

I think that sounds like a great choice meow! Clever you for making it so fast

Great that you've made a decision, meow. Sounds like the right fit for you atm.

Sounds like a great choice :-)

That's awesome meow. To be honest, it sounded like she was the better fit for you, just from how you described her. I hope that she turns out to be everything you need.

Thanks xx I feel excited to see her and get going and I think I would have felt a bit anxious still with the second one so I'm sure it's the right choice. I've always sort of got straight to it and told her heaps while chatting so far so I think she's going to be a good fit.

Sorry i didnt reply earlier...i reckon you have made the right choice. but this is my personal perspective only that it really is a requirment that the MW i work with has a good understanding and knowledge of the hospital system as if i were to transfer or need their services i dont want to be the one exploring it all and organising it all ITMS. i want my MW for that to protect me from them at my most vulnerable moment. when i did have to go in twice this last pg it was super awesome because Nic did all the calling for me

Sterla: 36 hours is a champion effort! I am in the position where for DD3 I quietly wished for slower birth after DD2. DD2s birth was perfect and gorgeous but it went too fast and i wanted to hang on to some of that fun...i kinda got my wish 3rd time around with an extra 15 minutes

Yep, I totally agree with you Cassius. We have had healthy pregnancies and labours thus far so I don't envision needing to transfer but if I did that's when I REALLY need the MW. So I wanted the one I had most confidence in in the most serious cases IYKWIM. Even the littler things like needing a good LC or something- this one has been around the area so long she knows them all and knows the best and I trust she can make me excellent referrals. And she's still very crunchy with her homeopathics and all that stuff. I certainly don't need someone to Kum ba yah next to the birth pool so personally the crunchiness only needed to go so far.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast