Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Homebirth General Discussion #22

Default Re: Homebirth General Discussion #22

I got the vitamin K for my DS because his birth was not great and he head prong things stuck on during labour, plus all the blood sugar monitoring after the birth etc so we just did it. I cannot even remember if I did the oral or injection. I wasn't going to but that was how the birth went and what I thought was best given how it all turned out.

My girls were home birthed and there was zero trauma and so I didn't do it.

Turtledove - I am in NZ and am very thankful to whoever it was that devised our midwife led pregnancy and birth system

Freya, the insensitive comments sure do keep on coming, most from strangers which is worse because who are they to comment on my life . I am sorry people think it okay to say things like that to you.

I met with a midwife today. I need to chat with DH when he gets home but I know she is the one if we go ahead (99% sure it will). I had an appointment with another MW next week but just from phone conversations and email, she did not feel right so I just cancelled and she seemed a bit annoyed, I thought it best not to waste our time but her reaction made the choice valid.

I miss chatting about birthy stuff in here....

I had my first "what hospital are you birthing at?" question from a person at playgroup today (my first time attending). I had a moment of 'ugh here we go' then I said 'I have a private midwife and will be birthing at home'. She was pretty interested in asking questions like if the boys will be there and then we got to talking about water births. I felt a bit bad after ward that I automatically went into get-ready-to-defend mode but lets face it - negativity surrounding home birth is more common than open minds

Ive looked into getting the placenta encapsulated and will be booking that in soon. Ive been very up and down emotionally lately, its been a rough year, so Im hoping it will help keep things calm and steady after bub arrives.

Ive got a few more baby things organised (like laybying the carseat) but otherwise there really isnt a lot to do until Im hitting my due date. I am going to start a 'Positivity Wall' in my birth space, not entirely birth related but just positivity in general to try and keep my mood up and thoughts happy for the next 14 or so weeks.

Speaking of organising birth spaces; when do you start getting organised for the birth - from 37wks? earlier? leave it til the last minute? What exactly do I need to do that my midwife wont?

Yes, birth space prep! I've been wanting to ask that question! What does "birth space" mean to you, how do you prepare, practical and aesthetical things, and what is your timeline?

I thought of starting a new thread for that question, as I am sure other ladies planning homebirths in the future will be interested too, rather than have the topic lost in a big thread like this

Freya, oh, I dread that question too. Especially after the initial reaction from my in-laws. It was only this past weekend that we told the uncle, and he lives over our back fence, so will possibly hear me if I get vocal in labour! He took it well enough, tho I think he would have liked to have been told earlier.

Artechim, there's a lot to love about NZ! I lived in there for 12 months, and would happily do so again!

Thanks ladies for your input on vit k. Very helpful

Not much happening here!

I started another thread on the topic of birth space prep to answer my questions... And hopefully Freya's as well

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ration-198764/

Sorry turtledove! For me cos it was in my bedroom, it was a late prep thing. I will see if I can find you a few pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, so somewhat rude photo, but it is a shot of the lights and pool behind me. I think they told me a rude joke.

Here is another. Put them all together and I guess you can see the space a bit more.

Just rambling here. I made up my birth space to look pretty to the eye, with fairy lights, and then added in things like birth flags as special momentos. I also used the babies dresser drawers to hold pictures and canvases that women sent me that were lovely Nd special to me, and a small prayer space for my hopes and dreams to be written etc.

It's not letting me view the pics maybe I don't have enough posts?

Would love to see the fairy lights, flags, etc!

Oh, I have no idea why it is being so crap! Hmmm.... Hang on, if you would like to see my birth video, you will see it. Go google d ocumenting d elight, ed dies birth video YouTube. You will see me and my two little ginger sweeties . And our birth space of course. There are pictures if you go to dd's blog and read my story that I put there. No idea why the pictures didn't work. I'll try again tho.

I can see your pictures here, Bella. I think you need to have 100 posts before you can see posted pics?

That's a bit dumb. I'm definitely not going to make it to 100 posts before this bub arrives! I can understand why they do it tho.

We set up the pool last night. I didn't really want to, I'm still in denial! But hubby was keen, he said it will help me feel more in the mindset.

It's in our lounge/family room, which isn't the calmest room of the house, but it is the most practical. Near the kitchen taps, door for draining, and it's not on carpet. It would have been nice if we could have used our bedroom tho, it's much more intimate. Any tips to help make it more personal?

Hubby must have been right about getting in the mind space. Been having regular tightenings since 3:30am. Still in denial tho, and just a little bit nervous! Can I get a hug?

My birth pool was in the kitchen! I had window behind me with curtain closed. I had fairy lights along top of curtain. I strung another elastic cord across the room and hung a funky celtic design sheet off it. I also had some beautiful bunting that some friends made, with gorgeous sayings or encouragement written on them. I typed out some phrases i liked and printed them on card and had them hanging off the curtain. These weren't obvious when the curtain was open.

on the night, we moved the kitchen table out and set the pool up. closed the curtain, and spread out the celtic sheet and it created a cozy space.

wishing you a gorgeous birth.

Turtledove

After blackouts with the stoms last week, going away for a week and coming home to more blackouts Mon & Tues. I finally emailed the midwife I met with to say I want to go ahead with her

wahoo Kazzo! i love knowing that moment you lock in your team

Turtledove: hi! and sending you many birth blessings xx

Those cramps did progress... very quickly! Our bubby is here! Born 10:20pm on Tuesday 2nd December, in the water, in the caul, at home. A little man. He's perfect, and I've fallen in love all over again

Thanks for all the encouragement ladies. I'll be back soon to chat more birth stuff, but for now enjoying these lovely newborn snuggly cheeks!

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast