Thread: Meeting homebirth midwives

Default Meeting homebirth midwives

My local hospital apparently supports homebirth. They have a team of midwives who come to your home. I don't have to hire an IM, which is great for us financially. I like my local mw, who is on the homebirth team.

I am 29+5 and so far, the team rang in November to tell me they'd rather I went to hospital. I said no, explained why. They said they'd contact me before Christmas and do extra visits. Then nothing. I'm chasing up, called Wednesday morning, spoke to the local mw, not mine, who was to contact the hb team and they'd call back yhat day. Nothing. Chased again this morning. Nothing.

Is this normal? What happens when I'm in labour and need to contact the team? Do I call, freebirth, then go see the gp a few days later? Just feel a bit like they want to say tough, no hb team visits, hospital or nothing now. But I do work in a bullying environment and maybe that has affected my thinking.

Any ideas what should happen?

Default Re: Meeting homebirth midwives

They should be following up that is rediculous.

When was the last time you saw your midwife? Do you have her direct number you can contact and get some answers

In one way it's a good thing because if they aren't visiting you they can't try to coerce you into doing things you don't want to do, but at the same time you need to know if you're going to have their support or not. If they don't want to support you, fine, but far out, at least give you the courtesy of telling you that they don't want to and not leave you in limbo

Cat, my mw has a team number I called on Wednesday. I see her next on 10th March, 34w. Will call again next Wednesday. I work Monday, Tuesday, Thursday so can't call then.

Trillian, I don't know if these people are abusive or human. I need to know. I don't meet them pre-birth, I don't know, I have to freebirth. And while I'm very happy with that being an option, DH and I are not happy about it being the only one. They have no choice though, my midwife told me screw hospital: I say I'm homebirthing, they have to attend, those are the rules. I like her.

DH is already talking about hospital transfer and hospital birth if the hb team keep this up. Only if I am unconscious or about to die. And tbh, dying would be better for my mental health. But we've agreed he cannot override me unless I'm unconcious, which is the legal ruling here, only he didn't know that last time.

Let us know how that goes Xox

They rang on Sunday and tried to get me into hospital again. Nope.

Meeting someone in person at 35w and having the d*mn homebirth as I am not going to be abused again. Do not trust hospitals. This one they want me at took a urine sample "for urine" from me once. Well, that test would be positive, wouldn't it? No communication. Don't trust them.

Now a letter, informing me of a hospital appointment on Thursday. No idea why. DH abroad too, so just me. Probably for the best as I'll let rip.

Can you not go to the appt? I have a horrible feeling they are going to give you the run around

Forearming myself. 10w left of the antebellum period so I need to spy out the other camp.

Freebirth looking more likely.

I wish it didn't have to be this way for you hun.

Me too. Hoping that I'm mistaken and I get a positive experience tomorrow. But still going in armed.

Obstetric appointment was fine. Aside from my panic attacks. But everyone bar the homebirth team seems to support a hb for me. What is wrong with the world?

I have been following this bread - as I myself would love a HB when the time comes.

Have they said to you WHY they don't want to support you in a HB? They must have a reason - not that there is any excuse to treat you so terribly.

I am so glad the OB appointment went well.

GBS positive at 8w. Was not told they would be culturing the swab taken, just that they were checking for blood (suspected miscarriage, thankfully all was ok).

Have not had second test, will have urine test at 36w to see if I am clear or not. Either way, I won't have the abs as that means hospital and cannula inserted and will lead to interventions. But the information will inform other options and postnatal monitoring.

if you are having another test, have you looked into how to get rid of gbs? i am sure i read an article on here on garlic and other methods

Hopefully the swab at 36 weeks will come back negative and you won't have to worry about AB's in labour or potential complications for baby afterwards.

Good luck!!

Just urine test at 36w. Previous test was contaminated and unreliable.

Been eating lots of garlic and yoghurts, but brief research on garlic pessaries has warned me off doing that.