View Poll Results: What has your experience been like with Implanon?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great, happy with it.

7 28.00%
  • Not good, but not bad either.

7 28.00%
  • Not a good experience at all.

11 44.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Implanon: Pros & Cons

Default Implanon

When you started using Implanon:3 months ago on the 16th of this month to present

Any issues with insertion?:The local anesthetic hurt the most. Almost freaked when the nurse told me to feel it after she inserted it. I had some discomfort and mild pain with my arm for a few days after. And a big bruise for a bit.

Any side effects or problems?:Havent had any bleeding or any sign of a period since the period ended that I had it inserted on. Ive been moody and depressed alot and I seem to be pushing people away. Still get PMS around the time I should get my period.

Would you recommend to others? Why?: Yes I would recommend it to other, although everyones different, I have had a pleasant and relatively good experience

When you started using Implanon: March 2009 I think to August 2010 - had it taken out early to TTC

Any issues with insertion?: Not really, the local stings a bit and I came up with a nice bruise with mild discomfort until the area settled down - maybe about a week or so?

Any side effects or problems?: A little bit of random spotting here and there which was more irritating than a serious problem, only ever enough for a pantyliner. Once that settled, no issues at all. No periods either, which was the big thing for me as I really don't like getting them. Once removed it took about 6-8 weeks for regular cycles to return and about 6 months of active TTC before falling pregnant.

Would you recommend to others? Why?: I'd recommend it to anyone that generally has a good response to things like depo or the mini-pill, especially if you're like me and suck bigtime at remembering to take pills on time... Implanon has the advantage I guess that if you do have a bad reaction, it's easy enough to remove and it clears out of the system relatively quickly. I'd go back on it again..

I had Implanon for the full three years, inserted in 2003. No issues with insertion or removal at all, but my experience with Implanon was horrible, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. I gained almost 30kgs within a few months of having it inserted (with no significant changes to my diet or lifestyle), going from just over 50kgs to nearly 80kgs. I became very depressed and was diagnosed with clinical depression within 12 months of having it inserted, and attempted suicide over six times in the three years I had it in.
    As far as my periods, they went from being pretty regular to all over the joint - sometimes I'd go for four or five months without so much as a spot, then AF would show up and stick around for 6 weeks. It was impossible to plan anything (eg holidays, beach trips etc) as I never knew when it would come or when it would finish.

When I had it removed at the end of the 3 years, I went from the upper 70's (kgs) right back down to 52kgs within three months, doing absolutely nothing but sitting on my bum (I had moved in with my boyfriend and wasn't working at the time - my diet had changed a little but I attribute the weight loss to the Implanon removal as I've never gained or lost weight like that in my life, it's the only factor I can think of that could have caused such drastic change in such a short amount of time). I didn't feel so crappy any more, stopped taking anti-depressants (which weren't really helping me anyway, tbh) and felt 100% better within weeks - I was back to normal and had almost forgotten (or given up hope) that I would ever be like I used to be. I never realised the Implanon was to blame until a couple of years ago when I started reading horror stories online, and asked my new GP, who said that he agreed the Implanon was more than likely the reason I had such an awful 3 years - he was surprised my old GP hadn't picked up on the changes and recommended its immediate removal (I was using it purely for birth control purposes and there is so much else out there that I could have tried).

I know some women have a great time with Implanon, but it threw me so far out of whack, I will never, ever try it again and I would warn anybody considering it to have a very in-depth discussion with their Dr before having it inserted, and to keep an eye out for side effects and review their Implanon every few months to make sure it's still the right choice for them. It definitely wasn't for me.

Sorry you had such a poo of a time with it hun. Definitely second the in-depth discussion with the Dr when starting out on ANYTHING for the first time, and being vigilant for changes in mood/behaviour/whatever. I had a similar experience with the combined pill, not so much with the depression, weight gain and crappy periods as whoa talk about aggresssive! I was so aggro on it that I was picking fights in pubs and getting chucked out, an absolute horror to live with and very nearly got sacked from work. Continually feeling like I wanted to punch anyone who so much as looked at me wasn't fun, but the doc when I asked about it didn't really take me seriously. So I stopped taking them. Instantly back to normal, but it *did* result in my darling DD not long after...

If starting any new treatment (hormonal or not), keep an eye out for weird stuff, talk to your Dr and if they don't give you a satisfactory answer, keep asking or get a second opinion.

When you started using Implanon: Aug 209 - removed Jun 2010
    Any issues with insertion?: None at all
    Any side effects or problems?: Deep vein thrombosis in calf, pregnancy symptoms - we actually did a HPT because they were so bad. Very Very cranky
    Would you recommend to others? Why?: I would not recommend but I also would not tell them not too. I have no AF at all for the year I was on it and besides my side affects I didn't fall PG. I do wonder if it has affected my fertility though even if they say it doesn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12