Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Implanon questions

Default Re: Implanon questions

I had one before we got married. I didn't have it in for the entire 3 years, just a bit over a year. I didn't have AF on it at all, didn't notice any change in libido. I got it removed as after about 6 months I started putting on weight, I really think it was more fluid retention as the extra kilos kind of just disappeared once it was gone.

I don't know anyone who has fallen pregnant on it and I know of quite a few people who have chosen this over iud or the pill. I'm pretty sure it is 99.9% effective, so if 1000 women use it one woman could possibly fall pregnant. As for the science behind it, the hormone is released slowly over the 3 year period, that's all I really know!

At least it is simple to try out and remove if it doesn't end up being right for you, good luck!

So true hestia won't know unless I try and it appears to be fairly easy to get removed if need be.
    Pz, my experiences with the pill make me wonder if this would be better than going back on the pill. Also I'm not a fan of having something in my uterus long term (that isn't a baby anyhow)
    Might have to make an apt with the gp

I had three, was one of the first in Australia to go on it apparently. I had breakthrough bleeding and migraines and was on antibiotics all the time on the pill and they didn't want touse the depo injection before having kids. Never got my period on it, the first one I lost weight out some on with the second. The third was only in for a year before dh got the snip. I think the last one which was after kids my body rejected I got sick with bad sinuses and kept getting cysts in my wrist and once it came out it was stuck and had tissue stuck all around. The first two were fine coming out. For me it was a a good choice not all that sure how it works I know I did research before getting it though but we are talking a long time ago now, probably around 14 years. It was out almost a year before I fell pregnant.

Thanks br!

So I made a drs apt for the end of the month, so 2 weeks time. I explained to dh, that we have this time to really talk about the options and work out what is best for us. This time also gives him time to include him in the decision process.

So just got back from my gp. In his opinion, the mirena is the better choice. However he couldn't convince me that i would be able to handle having an iud.
    So I now have a script for implanon, but have to wait until the 14/5 to get it in.
    Apparently the rod has a higher dose of hormone, because it has to go through the body, the iud has a smaller dose because its place in the site.
    Because of the higher dose of hormone, it will can alter the cycle more, create more bleeding etc.

The plan for me, is to get this for now, and if Im not happy with it, then we'll try the iud.

how did you go bb?

i had implanon inserted yesterday, and it is pretty sore today. if i use my arm it feel like a needle going in to my muscle. is that right? how long til it settles down?

From memory it's the same gear as in the depo injection but slow release. So if it doesn't suit you take it out and it's out of your system unlike the depo which has to wear off.

I had no periods for just over a year and then all of a sudden irregular very heavy ones. Got it taken out under general anaesthetic due to incorrect placement of it by original dr.

Big pain in the butt!! I'm sticking to the pill from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by HotI View Post
    how did you go bb?

i had implanon inserted yesterday, and it is pretty sore today. if i use my arm it feel like a needle going in to my muscle. is that right? how long til it settles down?
    Hey hotI,
    Omg, yeah the pain the next day (and couple after that too, I kept on knocking it which didn't help much) hurt heaps. It settled down within the week, but my bruise stayed a little longer. It was a little tender when touched after that, but once healed it was all good.
    But for me it has been worth it. My body has responded to it really well, less side effects than any other contraceptive I've used. The only down side has been it has increased my appetite, I've put on a few kgs, but yanno, I can get rid of them when I'm ready to.
    Otherwise, it's been awesome so far. Af wise, she's visited once and it was less pain, less duration than before too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12