Thread: Elective induction or not??

Default Elective induction or not??

I'm toying up with the idea of asking to be induced and just looking for experiences/advice. I've been lucky so far that my two previous births have been straightforward, natural births so I know I am able to do it and normally wouldnt consider an induction, but this time around, things are a bit more complicated:

Bub has a medical condition and so I am delivering at a city hospital an hour away. DH works in the city, so if I went into labour and needed him to come home first, it will take us at least 2 hours to get back to the hospital. My last labour was only 4 hours long, and I went from being 4cm to DS being out within 1.5hours. So I'm worried that we won't make it to the hospital in time. Part of me is wondering if I'll feel more comfortable being induced so that I don't have this worry of making it to the hospital in time.
    The other thing is that it may well be bub's that makes the decision that she needs to come out now and i end up being induced or having a cs. And I'm wondering for my peace of mind, if having the date set for an induction will help with the worry of how bub is faring inside.

Honestly, I wouldn't be induced unless medically neccessary.

Inductions have their place however I wouldn't be choosing to if it wasn't medically neccessary. Is there anyone near by that could be on "stand by" in case you needed them to drive you to hospital?

I agree with Jaycee, you could always ring an ambulance.

Regards,
    Dianne

My DS (second of my three children) was induced for similar reasons. He had some medical issues and by the time I reached 39 weeks the mental and emotional strain was simply too much for me. I was concerned for the health of my baby and very stressed about delivering outside hospital as we lived an hours drive in peak traffic and my first labour was very short. Ultimately, I decided that the best thing for myself and my baby was to get him out. I have no regrets and the birth was a straightforward vaginal delivery.

Ultimately, only you can decide what the right thing is for you. Consider the pros and cons and discuss it with your ob - who is hopefully someone who's opinion you trust! I felt no pressure at all from my ob to be induced, it was entirely my decision.

My initial reaction is to advise to wait it out and let baby choose it's birth date. But that may be because my experience with being induced wasn't pleasant, and my two natural births were awesome.
    Your emotional health is a viable reason to induce. As are the other reasons you've said. Though I suggest, maybe just wait a little longer, and see how you feel in a week/few weeks. You could request an induction anytime, and if you're unsure about it now, maybe just take a wait and see attitude.
    Good luck either way. I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

I was induced with DD2 at 36 weeks due to her health. I was really nervous. I'd had a straight forward 3 hour birth with DD1. For me (and this won't be the case with everyone), I found the induction no different to my first labour. The contractions felt the same and were easy to cope with (although i had an added complication that woth every contraction her heartrate dropped signifcantly if i was upright so infortunately i had to lie on my side the whole time). She arrived in just two hours. The relief I felt when that pregnancy was finally over and she was ok was amazing.

I had a similar dilemma with DD3, although there were no medical issues involved. With DD2 I went from 4 cms to her on my chest in 15 minutes so I was very worried that we wouldn't make it to the hospital on time - we had moved house since her birth and are now an hour from the hospital.

DD1 was induced and while I have no regrets about her birth, DD2's subsequent spontaneous drug free delivery was by far the better one.

In the end, I decided against an induction. It seems to be the general consensus that third babies are the ones that keep you guessing, so I was reluctant to opt for an induction when chances were good that she wouldn't be as quick as her sister. DD3 took her sweet time - hind waters broke around 8am but I didn't go into established labour until 6pm that night so there was plenty of time for the hospital!

Good luck with whatever you do.

My experience with induction ended in emergency c/s. So, from a personal viewpoint no- I wouldn't reccomend it. Can you stay somewhere closer the the hospital? Or have someone on standby? Or call an ambulance?

It really is your decision, but be aware that the more your labour is interfered with, the more likely it'll end in c/s. Also, being induced will mean constant monitoring, and limited movement/pain relief options. You won't be able to get in the shower/bath.... or move very far from the machine because of all the wires. For me, this was almost intolerable. But again, only you know what is right for you.

My experience with induction ended in emergency c/s. So, from a personal viewpoint no- I wouldn't reccomend it. Can you stay somewhere closer the the hospital? Or have someone on standby? Or call an ambulance?

It really is your decision, but be aware that the more your labour is interfered with, the more likely it'll end in c/s. Also, being induced will mean constant monitoring, and limited movement/pain relief options. You won't be able to get in the shower/bath.... or move very far from the machine because of all the wires. For me, this was almost intolerable. But again, only you know what is right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by forshelby View Post
    Also, being induced will mean constant monitoring, and limited movement/pain relief options. You won't be able to get in the shower/bath.... or move very far from the machine because of all the wires.
    I'm really sorry your experience was like this, but mine was very different. I was in and out of the shower and bath the whole time with either periodic monitoring, or as things progressed wireless monitors. Inductions don't always have to mean you're confined to a bed. Likewise, not all inductions end with more intervention - I had an epidural but that's because I was totally knackered after 24 hours of labour and I needed some sleep. Other than that, there was no intervention whatsoever.

I know not all inductions end so well, but many progress with no need for any further intervention at all.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Induction of Labour - The Hidden Dangers of Labour Induction

Have a read, then decide if the cons are worth the pros.

If it was me, I wouldn't. Artificial oxytocin doesn't work like natural oxytocin (doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier), so you wont get the benefits that you would in a natural labour. Any intervention can increase your chances at caesarean section, then you have a surgical recovery to deal with too, with your other kids to take care of.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; March 6th, 2013 at 03:45 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

You could always consider a stretch and sweep (if all is well and favourable) around 38 weeks then stay close the hospital for the following few days, if that's possible.

I went into spontaneous labour with both my girls but I did have a S&S with DD2 and my waters broke 3 days later. It was 1pm and she was born after just 37mins of active labour, which didn't start until almost 4pm.

I've now had two fast births and my OB expressed concern the day after DD2 was born about how fast a third labour would be. At my 6 week checkup, he told me he'd suggest induction with a third baby but just breaking my waters, nothing else. I honestly think I'd agree to it. The thought of giving birth at home, in the car or the car park does not interest me at all. It scares the day lights out of me to be honest! But I'm not interested in a full induction either, especially as both my girls have arrived spontaneously at 38 weeks. So yeah, the most I'd agree to would be either another S&S or having my waters broken. Providing all was favourable though.

Good luck with your decision.

Part of me wants to advise you to err on the side of caution and not choose induction until 40 weeks particularly because you've not been induced before. That said, I can completely understand your reasoning for it - having both complicated pregnancy AND fast labour experience; in the end it is entirely your choice to go with whats comfortable for you.

My first two babies were induced early (pre 38 weeks) due to medical complications and neither labour was over 3 hours. My third baby was a spontaneous natural labour after a normal pregnancy at 40wks and he came in 2 hours, if I had of stayed at home like I wanted instead of letting DH drag me to the birth centre he would have been a bathroom baby

With this pregnancy Im facing growth issues and GD, so even though my OB is happy to wing it and make decisions about delivering when we need too I am seriously considering booking an induction at 39wks for emotional reasons as well as the presenting issues. I am feeling very out of control with this pregnancy and the mental strain parenting three other children and dealing with the complications is draining me. Ive been induced twice before with perfectly positive outcomes so its a little less 'up in the air' for me.

Good luck with your decision!

Sammy, i live an hour away from hospital, and my partner also works 40 mins away, and so i had a few plans for if i went into labour when he was at work.

Birth is one of those things where people are often really chuffed to be asked to help out if needed. My neighbour (an older man) offered that he could drive me, or we could borrow his car (if our car broke down at the wrong time) if we needed to at any time. It wasn't my first preference, but it was certainly nice to have an other option should i need it.

Do you have any friends or acquaintances who live locally who you could call on to take you to your hubby or to the hospital?

take care

Default Re: Elective induction or not??

I was induced for both my pregnancies, DD1 was gels only, waters broke 2hrs later on their own with no further intervention no constant monitoring no pain relief and i was in the shower right up until the top of her head was starting to show after which i moved to the bed and birthed her on all fours. Total labour was 7 hours.

DD2 i was already 4cm dilated from a S&S but no contractions so i asked for my waters to be broken. My OB broke them at 730am and i was in established labour by 10am. Again, no further intervention was required and labour was 5hrs.

I agree with LuluHB that not all inductions end " in a cascade of intervention" sure I may have just been 'lucky' but i think that having a great support network plays a huge role. I had an OB who was very hands off and happy for me to do my thing and i had a doula as well as my DH all of which i think helped me have two minimal intervention vaginal births.

At the end of the end of the day it's a decision only you can make. Good luck

Of course not all interventions result in a cascade... not all people get gastro when it goes around too But statistically, its happens and increases your odds. Depends on what odds you want to take and what you're happy to accept. Just because it doesn't happen to us, doesn't mean it can another.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...tting%2A-8593/
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

I booked an elective induction (for 38+5) for my DS2 for a variety of reasons - mainly anxiety. Just having it booked in reduced my anxiety greatly. My waters actually broke spontaneously the night before anyway but as labour did not start I had syntocin. I didn't enjoy my artificial labour/contractions and elected for an epidural (I also had an epi with DS1) but all other parts were great and far less stressful than the anxiety I felt during the last weeks of pregnancy! I would definitely make the same decisions again under the same circumstances.

Only you (and your DH) can make this decision, and whilst you need to consider the possible ramifications of intervention, the anxiety you are feeling is real and valid and its ok to choose induction in consultation with your OB.

Sorry I didnt get a chance to write what I wanted to as I had to go to chiro for a bad headache.

I included the link to Sue's story because I think its important to remember that the advice we give (it didnt happen to me) can sometimes result in decisions that dont unfold like we meant it to.

There are good reasons for inductions, but lots of not so good too. Just have to weigh up the pros and cons and what you're happy to accept.
    Kelly xx