Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 18 of 21

Thread: Elective inductions

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,729

    Default Elective inductions

    Just wondering if we have the right to ask for (and actually get) and "elective" induction at or before my EDD for psychological reasons? Can they refuse?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    pakenham, victoria
    Posts
    3,660

    Default

    I did!
    I originally wanted to be induced at 36 weeks and im sure if I had of pushed I would have gotten it but my ob convinced me into another week. He originally wanted me to go to term

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skybie View Post
    I did!
    I originally wanted to be induced at 36 weeks and im sure if I had of pushed I would have gotten it but my ob convinced me into another week. He originally wanted me to go to term
    Were you public?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In Bankworld with Barbara
    Posts
    14,222

    Default

    I know of women who have - both publically and privately. I think it may be harder in a public hospital if you have no *real* reason for one kwim, but I think considering your situation that they would probably do it.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    I know of women who have - both publically and privately. I think it may be harder in a public hospital if you have no *real* reason for one kwim, but I think considering your situation that they would probably do it.
    Thanks Trillian. I'm seeing my MW tomorrow and want to have an honest chat about it. I know there are dangers, increased risk of instrumental delivery, emergency cs, greater use of pain relief. But if birth causes me to "break" I'm going to be an awful mum.

    Thanks for all the help guys, I'll let you know.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    4,203

    Default

    I've been offered one too this time - going private.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In Bankworld with Barbara
    Posts
    14,222

    Default

    Sometimes I really think the benefits to a person mentally outweigh the risks of doing it. Besides, they are only *risks* not things that will definitely happen. You're not stupid, you know what you're doing and I think when you talk to the MW that she will be understanding of where you're at emotionally. Good luck

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    2,160

    Default

    I did, but that was privately. My OB agreed that my mental health was an important factor.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    pakenham, victoria
    Posts
    3,660

    Default

    yep, waspublic

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,729

    Default

    Well, they are offering weekly cervix checks from 36 weeks and will discuss "social" inductions from 39 weeks onwards if my cervix is favourable. It isn't a definite, but it is nice to know they are going to give me the choice if I need it. Which is what I NEED. I don't need the induction date, I just need to know that they are looking after my baby, my body and my mental health. So I think I'm breathing for the first time in a few weeks.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Just a thought - if they're not keen on a medical induction, you can always try acupuncture. THe lady who I see gets referrals from the local hospital to induce women, b/c she's got such a good success rate of getting women into labour. You'd have to find somebody who specialises in women's health/conception/preparing for labour etc. May be an option if the hospital aren't keen??

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Scottish expat living in Geelong
    Posts
    5,572

    Default

    I don't know your circumstances but I'm glad you have had reassurance that psychological reasons are considered very important when it comes to deciding on an induction that is otherwise not medically indicated. Does your hospital have an emotional support programme that you could access? Some public hospitals have really good mental health midwives who specialise in helping women who need a bit more support and they can often help ensure you get the support and treatment you need and can help fight your corner for issues like "social" induction. It may be worth asking about this.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    I don't know your circumstances but I'm glad you have had reassurance that psychological reasons are considered very important when it comes to deciding on an induction that is otherwise not medically indicated. Does your hospital have an emotional support programme that you could access? Some public hospitals have really good mental health midwives who specialise in helping women who need a bit more support and they can often help ensure you get the support and treatment you need and can help fight your corner for issues like "social" induction. It may be worth asking about this.
    Yes they have one midwife who specialises in this... and I can meet up with her at 36 weeks and maybe talk about induction when she is available. Either way I'm just relieved that at least the discussion happened and we can go on from here.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In Bankworld with Barbara
    Posts
    14,222

    Default

    Tiem to get cracking with the EPO capsules then I think

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,900

    Default

    I remember them talking about this at the antenatal classes before DD1. They said they do do that but it has to be very serious. I don't know your situations but I'm sure if you talk to them they'll help work out what's best for you and the baby

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Between concrete walls
    Posts
    1,885

    Default

    I asked to be induced with DD with a private obstetrician in a public hospital, based on psychological factors, and she agreed. I did have an irritable uterus though which made it easier for the hospital paperwork

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne.
    Posts
    5,673

    Default

    i have had a private elected induction.
    how did you go with your appointment?

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
    i have had a private elected induction.
    how did you go with your appointment?
    Appointment was good . We will see how things are going closer to the date, but they are OK with "social inductions". I hate that term for induction on psychological grounds... wish it wasn't considered social but medical. Anyway, ranting won't change that .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •