Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Doc told me yest they will prob induce me because of my age......is this normal?

I'm going to say one word - Doula. Get one now. It will be worth every cent and make your birth what you want it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

There was lots of hoo haa in the media about this a few weeks ago, I was one of the people interviewed for the story. Have a read of this:

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

There was lots of hoo haa in the media about this a few weeks ago, I was one of the people interviewed for the story. Have a read of this:

Inductions and women over 40 | Herald Sun
    Last edited by BellyBelly; May 5th, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

I think the others have discussed abt the need/in this case potential no-need for induction. But if you do end up having one it doesn't mean you need to be strapped to bed. Just perservere & push for options that could let you move around. I was induced but had natural birth. But I was lucky because my IM guided us through what to ask/question. We knew a bit already but could never know 100%. Simple things like - wireless monitoring (if they need to monitor), can they monitor intermittently instead of continuous monitoring, can I shower to manage my pain, etc. the key is ASK & question. Don't be dishearten. All the best!

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk.(Occasional fat fingers syndrome might occur)

Even if you didn't want to employ a doula for birth support, a doula can help with the birth preparation. Writing a proper birth plan and making informed decisions can be overwhelming, a doula can help with this.

Your calmbirth will help you will labour techniques, the more you relax, the less it will hurt. Deep breathing and water can make an enormous difference, as can calm support people. Staying home as long as possible, and allowing yourself to slip into the zone. If you feel you need an experienced support - do consider a doula you click with.

A doula can also provide information support (as well as emotional and physicial if you want it) for you and your partner.

Any intervention requires consent, which is where the informed decision comes in. Starting now, as you work on your birth plan, is when you make your informed decision. This way if you get 'fed up', the temptation of an unnecessary intervention (for convienience) is easier to avoid. You can remind yourself that it is not medically warrented. And 39 is hardly old.

It is also important to understand what risk really means. Studies may show an increased risk of still birth...but it is important to know what this really means. You are not 'overdue' before 42 weeks - the due date is Estimated - not Expiry. So follow your instincts, make informed decisions in your birth plan and make sure your birth team is on board.

xoxoxo
    This is your Journey. You don't need permission, or to 'be allowed', to birth your way.

thanks Ladies! and thanks Kelly for the article, it was very helpful. I am taking my mum with me next visit so that will help me to speak up (aren't mum's great!) and I feel like I have information enough to ask questions and to push for 'medical' reasons why they believe it is a better way to go, and then challenge them on it ;-)

as you're going public & will prob see a diff ob next visit you may find that the ob doesnt mention it or think it's necessary. well, that was my experience! otherwise, start psyching yourself up to ask questions/say no.

fwiw ive been induced & had a spontaneous labour & they were very different. if you can avoid the induction that would be good but if it does happen, you can get lots of good advice here to help make it as positive as possible

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I ws 41 when I held off on induction and my baby was born still. I think listening to drs might sometimes be sensible. There was no reason to induce me except my age. I held off for three too may days to induction and lost my baby.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12