Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive induction stories.

Default Positive induction stories.

I know this site isn't overly pro-induction, and not am I. Unfortunately my reality is an induction booked in for Tuesday morning. I'm petrified of being induced. I've read all the cons of being induced, why we shouldn't be, what can oh wrong etc and is am scared.

DH is convinced that my fear of being induced is why this labour isn't happening.

Can I please have some positive induction stories to ease my worry? Give me something positive to focus on and relax my fears?

I had such a beautiful easy birth with dd that I am scared that this will be horrible now

Ease my mind please!

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Default Re: Positive induction stories.

Just a quick one from me.. I was booked for induction on the Wednesday, at 1am Tuesday my waters broke but were mec stained. I arrived at hospital at 2.20am and had no contractions. At 9am I had a drip put in, I was being monitored so on my back feeling a bit helpless.
    At 10.30am contractions had started and were intense but spaced about 5 mins apart, I asked for an epi and I was only 1cm. At 12.30pm my body was pushing epi wasn't working and my midwife checked at I 10cm, 27mins later DD was born.
    I think everyone is different, I didn't want to be induced, I didn't want to labour on my back and I didn't think I'd want an epi!! But my story was amazing in my own mind and i really think it was a positive induction story. Others might not think it was great but it can be a bit about what you make it too
    Goodluck and fingers crossed you will naturally go into labour beforehand so you don't have to worry xx

What are the reasons for being induced? As that can change how the induction goes.

And in no way can you be forced to have an induction so if there isn't a medical need you can opt for further monitoring instead.

I wasn't induced, but had the fear as one had been booked. DD3 arrived 7 hours before induction was due to start.

With DD1, I had an AROM and the labour was intense, but all went well

Hi little O! I have a positive induction story with my daughter, a stillbirth at 37 weeks (the not so positive bit). I was induced at midday, and only needed the gel. My body kicked into gear and took over quickly, dilated nice and slow and I gave birth to my 7 pound 6 ounce bub a gentle 11 hours later, no scratches, tears or dramas, apart from the obvious loss we were grappling with. It was a beautiful calm, not so painful birth. My experience was nothing like the horror stories you hear, nothing to be feared. Things sometimes don't go to plan, and I learnt that that's ok of course all our preference would be a natural birth, but accepting however your birth cookie crumbles makes you the best possible mum you can be
    Wishing you a beautiful outcome, however the birth journey is xxx

My best friend was induced at 41 weeks. She had her waters broken and was put on a drip, she made sure that the drip was put up nice and slowly, she had control ( to a degree) of how fast the drip went up.. She said it helped her mentally prepare for the contractions to get worse.. She had nothing but positives positives to say.

I was induced at 40weeks after my water broke but no contractions. I was induced at 1400 and baby was born at 2330. I found that the drip made the contractions come on quite fast and got stronger really quickly but the up side was that I dilated quick too, ended up asking for an epi at 5cm, then I rested till it was time to push, baby was out after 30min pushing, personally I was expecting the entire labour to be much worse than it was (my first baby) and wouldn't be scared of being induced again.

I was induced at 38 weeks due to PIH.
    I was 1cm on Tuesday night when the gel went in and was 2cm early the next morning but not contracting so they broke my water. Contractions hit hard and fast every 2-2.5 minutes and I asked for an epidural 6 hours later when I was 3cm and thinned. Contractions slowed then as I wasn't active anymore, so a drip was put on to help things along. 5 hours later I started pushing and it look 2 hours to push him out. This is a positive story though because I don't look back on it negatively even though it is not the birth I wanted. I was at peace with not having the spontaneous and drug free labour I wanted because I believed it was best for us and I think that helped.

I've had 2 very positive post date inductions With both the induction kicked things off but after that things just progressed as normal. DD1 I had 1 lot of gels and went into labour, DD2 I had AROM and that was all I needed. Labours were 2.5 hours and 4 hours. I had an epi with DD1 but pretty sure that wasn't caused by one dose of gels LOL, and just some gas with DD2. Really they were just like spontaneous labours but.......well, scheduled!

I had a great induction with t first bub my waters broke and I was induced the next day because my labor didn't start it was 5hours from drip in to baby out and only 5 mins of pushing it was pretty fast and furious bit I'm guessing that's how my body works cause my second bub(not induced) was an hour labor , for the first I did have peth and tens machine and found it much the same as my non induced labor I guess it just depends how ready your body is

My 1st labour was a gel only induction, and my waters popped on their own and labour established itself so no synto required and lasted 7 hrs from start to finish.

2nd labour i was already 3cm dilated from a previous s&s so i requested an AROM and labour established in 2.5hrs so again no synto was required. 5 hrs from start to finish

I had a really good induction due to IUGR in twin 2 @ 35 weeks. I arrived at hospital at 6:30am had my waters broken and had the drip Put in. Twin 1 was born at 12:35 and twin 2 at 12:39. Labour was intense, especially towards the end but manageable.

I actually was less tired then with my first as I didn't have all those hours of labour to get exhausted in, if that helps. No pain relief and I actually felt very powerful afterwards. I used hypnobirthing to help me.

I had 3 inductions. All were fine. I didn't have any pain relief with 2 of them.

I've had 3 inductions

DS1 - was induced for post dates at 41+2. My hardest induction but also my first birth. Had 2 lots of gels put in overnight which did nothing so had drip start in the morning at 7am. It was intense and I asked for epi but I managed to still sit upright on a chair watching oprah or something equally trashy even with epi and constant monitoring. I was told I had a wonky pelvis and DS was facing the wrong way and not to expect baby till 7 pm at least and I'd probably need help/intervention. How is this positive?? I had a positive mind. I wanted to prove that doctor wrong. I stayed upright on that chair as long as I could, then they took me to break my water and I had DS at 4pm. I managed to turn him and push him out in 55 minutes, and he had his hand against his face.

DD I was induced because of GD and they weren't going to let me go over my due date. I had gels put in at 8pm at 39+5 I was having contractions at about 12am and I had a baby at 4:35am. My second labour was half the length of my first.

DS2 as you know I was induced because of PROM but as it turned out was a tiny hind water leak. I was totally angry and over it after staying in hospital overnight, having hardly any sleep, contractions which did nothing and then being told the next day that I had to wait for my 7am induction as they were super busy. People having babies everywhere and 5 women including me, lined up. I got turfed to another hospital and the induction with the drip begins at about 12pm. I sat for ages. Was having 8 - 10 contractions in 10 mins but didn't feel a thing! Was still laughing and chatting. They thought I was a superhuman as the intense drugs were making me contract but I didn't feel a thing! I was 3cm still at 6pm, and when they checked me they could feel my waters still intact. Doc broke them then it was all on. I think they turned off the drip my labour progressed so fast and I had ds2 in my arms at 8:02pm.

Like I've said before chick it was just like my engine was down and I needed a jump start (a special friend told me that when I was upset about having to be induced again). You have to surrender and keep a positive mind. You can make things the way you want them if you let go and take it as it comes. When the doc for DS2's birth asked me what my plan was.... I told him my plan was not having a plan! That I want to roll with it but obviously stay positive and that's what I did and it was a positive birth. All 3 of them were.

Hugs x

I've had two inductions. My first birth story with DD is on here somewhere, and while it wasn't the birth I hoped for, the induction was easy and simple. I haven't posted DS's birth story yet as it's written on the laptop and I'm never on it, but it was so simple. I'll give a bit of an outline for both.

DD was 11 days overdue when I was induced. I had a new Dr as mine was on leave, and I had midwives changing all over the place. I saw them read my notes but they didn't pay attention. I had gels inserted at 8pm. I was checked the next morning, had no progress, and bang, c-section already mentioned. I get angry just thinking about it. More gels inserted and I made them leave me alone. 12pm another check, not enough progress, they want c-section. Again made them leave me. DD did her thing and was born at 5:45 that evening.

So while the birth could have been better, the induction itself was simple. No drip, no arom. Just the gels, and getting pushy people off my back. If I'd had the midwife I had for DS, with DD, I have no doubt it would have been a very different experience.

With DS, I did everything to avoid induction, I didn't want the same thing again, I wanted to know I could do it myself. But, there was no denying the size of this baby. I hadn't gained weight except for the bump, and that looked like it could have comfortably held two babies. The measurements were all huge and I was beginning to be in pain. The difference this time was I'd had the same midwife from the beginning, she knew my story and my fears, I trusted her 150%. She lied to her supervisors to get me more time, so when she finally said she needs to advise induction, I knew it wasn't something she took lightly. We did two s&s to try and get me going, and it almost worked, I lost my plug and had half a day of contractions that eventually went away.

So anyway, I went in and had the gel tab inserted at 8pm. Slept pretty well, and woke with contractions at 6. Waters broke at 6:30 so I asked them to hurry my midwife and told DH to get in asap. It was fast and intense, DS was born at 8:50 - less than three hours after I woke. But the induction itself was just that tab, again no drip or arom.

If I could give any advice, the first part would be to find out if they'll insert gels with a syringe, or use the tab. If labour gets going they can remove the tab so that it doesn't unnecessarily intensify things, but you can't remove the gels. Secondly, make sure you trust the people you're with. Don't be afraid to say no, or have DH say no. If you don't want the drip, don't take it. Don't let them push you into anything just because you're not fitting their timeline - DD's birth is evidence that things can happen on their own even if it's not as quick as they think it should be.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to keep asking your care providers questions beforehand so you know exactly what will happen.

I've had 3 inductions. DD1 was gel in the evening, AROM in the morning and then syntocinon drip. Labour was hard and fast, 5 hours from AROM.
    DS was gel in the morning, SROM and low dose syntocinon. Labour was 4 hours from gel.
    DD2 was gel in the morning, SROM and the MW delayed the order for Syntocinon on my request - it was not required. Labour was 3.5 hours from gel, Ob missed the delivery!

I would recommend asking for a slow and gentle induction. Given you are post dates and most likely ripe and favourable, I would ask for gel first and a few hours for your body to do it's own thing. If things aren't progressing, I would personally agree to AROM and again, some time for your body to labour naturally. Only after that would I agree to the Syntocinon - in my experience, this is what kicks you into hard and fast labour and gives no time to slowly get into the right head space. If you do need the Synto, ask for it to be started on a very low dose and increased slowly.

My first birth was traumatic (distressed bub, extensive episiotomy, failed ventouse followed by forceps forceps) but this was actually due to DD being wedged into the left side of my pelvis and unable to descend. My second two births were fantastic. You can have a great birthing experience when you are induced - just ask for them to take it slow and gentle!

Good luck, it won't be long now until you are holding your baby!

I was induced at 34 weeks with DS, The induction was easy, i just needed the drip as my waters had already broke.
    My labour was less than an hour, so it was hard & fast but it was a really positive experience for me

Induced at 38 weeks with my first born due to being an IUGR baby. I needed 2 lots of gels before things started moving along. I ended up having an epidural and pethadine with him. I was told at 3pm that I'd probably still be there at 11pm that night. Hubby went out for a smoke, came back in and 8mins later Kameron was born at 3.20pm roughly. I lost a lot of blood and was close to having a transfusion, but that didn't eventuate.

Induced at 37 weeks 6 days with my 2nd born due to being an IUGR baby. Only needed 1 lot of gels. I had a pethadine injection for pain relief which did nothing. I tried the bath, but couldn't get comfortable. I asked for an epidural but it was discovered I was 8cm dilated, after being told by my midwife not 5 mins before that I was only having braxton hick contractions.

Went into natural labour with my 3rd child, and had a drug free birth. They broke my waters.

So being induced was fine, but yeah compared to natural labour it's more painful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast