Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Say no to induction or just try to bring on birth naturally?

It has been on my mind for 6 months to reply back to this thread seeing as I just dropped off the face of the earth after writing it...

In a nutshell, I went off to accupuncture, and the following morning, labour began. It was a long labour and a beautiful home birth. Unfortunately my gorgeous baby son had some respiratory distress at birth and we were transferred to the local hospital (him for investigation, me for placenta removal). They determined that he was born with a congenital abnormality so, while I was in theatre, arangements were made to transfer him to a major children's hospital where he had surgery the following day and spent a month in the NICU. It has been a challenging road since then, but our baby boy is hanging in there quite well in spite of the frequent trips to hospital. Sorry it took me so long to post this; I really valued all your support for my original post and wanted to give an update.

Amber xx

Thanks for the update, Amber. I'm glad you did go into labour naturally, and that you got your beautiful home birth. Sorry to hear about the complications... I guess that's what the hospitals are there for! It's good that your little boy is hanging in there now. I hope he continues to improve.

Last edited by forshelby; July 23rd, 2013 at 07:40 PM.

Default been told i have a 8.4 pound baby at 37 weeks ..they want to induce me

Quote Originally Posted by AliBaby View Post
    I refused induction at 10 days over. I was scared of being induced that it would lead to further interventions and possible c section. The doctors pushed my induction date to 42 weeks and I said we could re-access then If baby wasn't here as all monitoring was fine. You have no idea, well actually I am sure you do, How hard it was as I just wanted the baby out. I walked everyday, inserted EPO capsules and 2 days later I went into labour naturally. Dd came early the next morning, so on the 13th day past dates. It was a natural labour and birth.

Stick to your guns if you don't want to be induced. Have some info to back you up is d a support person to go with you to your appointments who will speak up for you if needed.

Hi I was after some advice..
    This is my firsy baby I`ve been trying for many years.
    I`m 42 with gestational diabeties so in the eyes of the hospital staff in a HIGH risk category.
    I have my heart set on a natural birth, I`ve been doing hypno therapy and yoga to prepare for the birth .
    Now I`ve been told my baby is 8.2 pounds and I`m 37 weeks so .... The doctors are extremely keen to induce me,
    I`ve read some awful things about being induced and the high raate of women being induced then a few hours into the labour having a ceaser-due to the body not being ready to birth naturally.and the hormones given don`t prepare the body like the natural on set of birth.

any advice?
    Merci and many thanks.

I too was scared of induction and went into natural labour at 40 + 4, giving birth early the morning after. Now I don't know if it was coincidental but I had been doing the following things in the days prior to labour -

Lots of walking (or waddling!)
    Fit ball bouncing
    Massage on the pressure points relating to labour- inner wrist and just near the ankles
    Nipple stimulation. I was in fact stimulating my nipples when I felt my first gentle contraction!

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad you got to share that amazing birth with your son before the whirlwind started. All the best to you both- you sound like you're doing a wonderful job mama xx

Quote Originally Posted by jjaney View Post
    Hi I was after some advice..
    This is my firsy baby I`ve been trying for many years.
    I`m 42 with gestational diabeties so in the eyes of the hospital staff in a HIGH risk category.
    I have my heart set on a natural birth, I`ve been doing hypno therapy and yoga to prepare for the birth .
    Now I`ve been told my baby is 8.2 pounds and I`m 37 weeks so .... The doctors are extremely keen to induce me,
    I`ve read some awful things about being induced and the high raate of women being induced then a few hours into the labour having a ceaser-due to the body not being ready to birth naturally.and the hormones given don`t prepare the body like the natural on set of birth.

any advice?
    Merci and many thanks.

I'm so sorry you are having all this pressure, when you should be surrounded by love and support.
    Induction for predicted baby weight has been shown to NOT lead to better results for mum or baby, just an increase in interventions and c sections.
    Henci Goer has some great evidence based articles on the benefits and risks of various interventions during pregnancy.
    Do you have support people who can be strong and help you to make your voice heard?
    I would be asking the drs for information on the risks and benefits of any intervention they are offering, and the risks and benefits of waiting.

good luck

Amber - thanks for the update. Glad to hear your birth started naturally (acupuncture is wonderful!), and it sounds like you've got an amazing little boy who is doing well in spite of the challenges he has experienced. Wishing you and your baby boy all the best.

Jjaney: Predicted birth weight is such a subjective thing. For some, their bub's birth weight is as predicted, but for many others, their bubs' birth weights are considerably more, or less than guestimated. Honestly, no one can accurately know the weight until your baby arrives. I had my third son at 39, he was two weeks overdue and I was induced (he was being stubborn, but he and my body were ready for birth and he arrived quickly with gel-only induction). He was 4.5kg and I birthed him without a drama.

I have heard there is a growing trend to induce "older mothers". I've heard of two cases here in Brissie recently where the women were induced before 40w purely because of their age. I can only speak from my perspective, but I birthed just the same at 39 that I did at 35 and 37 (and I had gestational diabetes while pregnant with my first son).

I also understand that some bubs whose mums have GD have a heavier birth weight. I'm sure that is sometimes the case, but sometimes it isn't. DS1 (I had GD) - weighed 2.9kg at 39w3d. DS2 (no GD) - 3.6kg at 39w6d. DS3 (no GD) - 4.5kg at 42 weeks (but presumably was heavier than the other two at 40w). No rhyme or reason to the birth weights of my children although I was probably more conscious of my diet when pregnant with DS1.

From what you've written, and assuming your GD is under control and there's no concerning medical issues with you and bub, I'd stick to your guns and not be induced. Honestly, there is a time and a place for intervention ... you just need to question if THIS is the time and place. Where babies are concerned, the medical profession is risk-adverse and afraid of potential litigation, to say the least. Your body, your baby, your choice. Your belief in yourself to birth your baby naturally will also go a long, long way towards you achieving the birth you want. So good on you for going down the path of hypnotherapy and yoga. A good support team who are in your corner and back your choices will also be worth it's weight in gold. This forum is also a fabulous source of support and insipration which can only help to empower you and fuel your confidence. Good luck and keep us posted.

Default Thank you for the support and general incouraging words xx

Quote Originally Posted by AndiE View Post
    Amber - thanks for the update. Glad to hear your birth started naturally (acupuncture is wonderful!), and it sounds like you've got an amazing little boy who is doing well in spite of the challenges he has experienced. Wishing you and your baby boy all the best.

Jjaney: Predicted birth weight is such a subjective thing. For some, their bub's birth weight is as predicted, but for many others, their bubs' birth weights are considerably more, or less than guestimated. Honestly, no one can accurately know the weight until your baby arrives. I had my third son at 39, he was two weeks overdue and I was induced (he was being stubborn, but he and my body were ready for birth and he arrived quickly with gel-only induction). He was 4.5kg and I birthed him without a drama.

I have heard there is a growing trend to induce "older mothers". I've heard of two cases here in Brissie recently where the women were induced before 40w purely because of their age. I can only speak from my perspective, but I birthed just the same at 39 that I did at 35 and 37 (and I had gestational diabetes while pregnant with my first son).

I also understand that some bubs whose mums have GD have a heavier birth weight. I'm sure that is sometimes the case, but sometimes it isn't. DS1 (I had GD) - weighed 2.9kg at 39w3d. DS2 (no GD) - 3.6kg at 39w6d. DS3 (no GD) - 4.5kg at 42 weeks (but presumably was heavier than the other two at 40w). No rhyme or reason to the birth weights of my children although I was probably more conscious of my diet when pregnant with DS1.

From what you've written, and assuming your GD is under control and there's no concerning medical issues with you and bub, I'd stick to your guns and not be induced. Honestly, there is a time and a place for intervention ... you just need to question if THIS is the time and place. Where babies are concerned, the medical profession is risk-adverse and afraid of potential litigation, to say the least. Your body, your baby, your choice. Your belief in yourself to birth your baby naturally will also go a long, long way towards you achieving the birth you want. So good on you for going down the path of hypnotherapy and yoga. A good support team who are in your corner and back your choices will also be worth it's weight in gold. This forum is also a fabulous source of support and insipration which can only help to empower you and fuel your confidence. Good luck and keep us posted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12