thread: Stretch and sweep experiences

Add MummaBee on Facebook

Feb 2010
    NSW, Australia

Lightbulb Stretch and sweep experiences

Hi everyone in BB land having a stretch and sweep performed tomorrow at 11am little bit excited and been doing a little bit of research but would love to hear some first hand experience. Do you think it worked for you? How long before labour started?
    Do you think its fine for me to take myself? I live about 10min away so not far at all.
    Any advise?

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

Hi
    Why are you having an S&S? It can be a bit uncomfortable, yeah, and sometimes painful even - it depends on the person doing it and the state of your cervix.
    It can be effective at getting things started, but only if you're close to labouring on your own (as with most induction techniques), which is why I asked why you're having it done now. I had one at 42 weeks with DD and labour began the next day. I suspect it only brought things forward by a day or two at most
    You shouldn't have any issues taking yourself there and back, no.
    All the best

Jan 2009
    Mooroopna

I had one while in earlly labour it sped up contractions Good luck tomorrow

Add MummaBee on Facebook

Feb 2010
    NSW, Australia

Well I guess the doctor suggested it to get things starting to move as he seems a little worried about the impending Christmas lol, not that I care at all about when he wants things done.
    I felt I took the time to research it and it seemed to be quite a natural induction method with no real consequence to baby as long as its performed due date and after?
    I felt sure of my dates and thought why not....but I also believe I am looking forward to meeting my little one soon so would agree to getting things moving.
    Would love to hear why it may not be a good option, should have asked earlier than now doh

Jan 2006

Don't misunderstand me Bee, not having a go at all. There are some possible risks to you - injury to the cervix for eg - though *if* this were to happen, it would most likely be mild. Mostly it's just a discomfort that may not actually achieve anything.
    It's up to you - it's your body!
    Of course you're keen to meet your baby, totally understand that. Sometimes though when doctors & midwives want to hurry things along it isn't always with your or the baby's best interest in mind, you know? It should't be about them and what suits them, it's about you - your body and your baby.
    All the best

Add MummaBee on Facebook

Feb 2010
    NSW, Australia

Thanks for your reply thats exactly why i was asking, wanted some experiences and its nice to see both sides of the story because its so easy to be caught up in the want baby here now. Thinking possibly of saying no until 41-42 weeks he is away over christmas but I dont think I will go that far i dont know i just should do whats best for me and baby but feeling confused as to what that is.

Jan 2006

Do what you feel is best for you and bub, right here, right now. Don't worry about when your doc is away. He won't be there with you labouring anyway - they just show up at the end right?
    It is hard to know what's right, but that's parenting, hey? Just feel right in yourself about your decisions.

Jul 2007
    BrisVegas

I genuinely hope it goes well for u and that baby is in good position to birth tomorrow. Personally this was the only poor decision I made. I should have checked baby not OP. I won't agree to this again.

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2007
    Queensland

I had two with DS1 - about 8 days over (did nothing) and also about 10 days over. I had DS1 at 12 days over - just was just ready. I don't think the S&S did anything for me. My midwife said that contractions should start within 24 hours if the S&S was going to work.

You need to decide how far overdue you are willing to go. 14 days was my limit so the midwife said we'd give 2 S&S a go before going to "full on" induction later. BTW DS2 was born 7 days late - some people just take a bit longer to bake a baby - we were sure of our dates as they were both IVF.

It is not too bad - to be honest the worst bit was the MWs hands/knuckles putting pressure on my outside bits. Fine to drive yourself. Take a few deep breaths and practice some happy visualizations while they do it.

Dec 2006
    between the mountain & the ocean

I haven't had one, but my best friend did with both her babies. It didn't work with the first baby but with the 2nd she was already 2cm dialated and after S&S she gave birth the next day. Both babies were 2 weeks over. Good luck in your decision.

Oct 2007
    Brissy

I had one with DS - Id had no pre-labour, but was 41wks and about 2-3cms already when I had the S&S.
    DS was born 6hrs later so it definitely worked for me!!

Feb 2008
    Gold Coast, QLD

I believe I had one when I was induced at 37.5 weeks and they put the gel on. I was 2cm dilated already but it hurt so much and I felt a bit violated.

It's not something I would voluntarily do.

--'--,--'--<@
    Jude 07/10/08 | Lilac 16/06/11

Add MummaBee on Facebook

Feb 2010
    NSW, Australia

Hi just thought I would pop in and let you know what happened doc said bub had not engaged so I decided that the s and s would not work so told him I didn't want it.
    I have another appointment on mon so I told him he can have a look then and if I was dilated he could do one.

Jan 2006

Sounds good MB Hope you have your baby before then anyway!