Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waters broken and then birth with nothing else required? Anyone?

My sister did with her second DS. She had a slow leak and was booked in at the Birth Centre so the midwife offered to break her waters to see if they could avoid a transfer. She went into full blown labour in no time and her DS was born in the bath an hour later

Oh, and I'll be in the same boat as you next time. My first labour (posterior) was 9 hours by my clock, 6 hours established according to the midwife. My second was 37 minutes Both times I had SROM. I don't fancy a home, freeway or carpark birth AT ALL and nor does my OB. I'll be getting my waters broken next time to avoid an unassisted birth. Others wouldn't agree but it's certainly what DH and I will feel most comfortable doing.

Thanks everyone.

Taurean - you're exactly in my situation so thanks. Good to know I'm not completely nuts to be considering this.

Quote Originally Posted by LuluHB View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Taurean - you're exactly in my situation so thanks. Good to know I'm not completely nuts to be considering this.
    Not nuts at all! Unexpected homebirths (or on route!) aren't for everyone. I should have said we'll only be breaking my waters if I'm favourable, which it sounds like you are Both my girls came at 38 weeks (38+5 and 38+4) and I had a S&S at 38 weeks with DD2 and I was 2cm dilated and my cervix was very ripe. So I think our plan would be for an internal at 38 weeks and take it from there.

HTH. Good luck hon, whatever your decision

DD2 was induction by AROM (and nothing else). It was done at exactly 40 weeks, everything was very favourable at 39w 3 days (cervix starting to dialate, very low, soft and stretchy, ob felt me contracting while she was checking but I had no idea ) although she hadn't engaged at all at that point (my babies tend to float up high until labour kicks off). I had my waters broken at about 9am, was in established labour at 1pm and she was born at 5:30pm with the bath and gas for pain relief. So 4.5 hour active labour.

I totally understand your fears about the location of the birth, I ended up being induced for other reasons, but it was a huge load off my mind that it meant I would be avoiding a roadside birth, or having to take DD1 with me in a taxi while I was in labour cause I couldn't take her with me in an ambulance, or the many other possibilities that were on the table if I had of gone into labour during the day.

ETA - I missed the question about what was the labour like. It was great! After my waters were broken it was really just a textbook spontaneous labour with a gentle build up, short transition and not much pushing required.
    Last edited by Sagres; April 15th, 2012 at 11:25 PM.

It's so interesting to read all of the different stories. I was induced with my first which ended with an emerg c.s, so they couldn't induce me with my second. I was overdue and facing an elect c.s. I was 2-3 cms already dilated, so they broke my waters to see if I could get into established labour. The hospital had a pretty tight timeframe for getting into labour for a VBAC and I was pretty stressed out about this and had an awful midwife on shift, so I didn't progress any further.
    I think if your body is ready and you have good support around you and previous natural deliveries, then you probably stand a good chance of getting into labour if they broke your waters (?)
    Good luck with whatever you choose to do and i hope it all works out for you!

Just thinking about this again, are gels an option you would consider again? For my DD1 (induction again, this time for a totally different medical reason) we planned 2x doses of gels about 9 hours apart then breaking my waters about 4 hours after the last dose, but 1 lot of gels was enough to get me started. This was at 40+3. So actually the gels might not be instead of the AROM, it could be used in addition to it.

I'm not sure I'd need the gel Sagres. I'm already 3cm (or at least I was 3 weeks ago - don't think you can go backwards?) and I don't think they use gel beyond 2 - not sure though. I know my 3rd birth should be much easier than my 1st, but with my DD I had the gels and got absolutely nothing. I guess that's my big concern - do my babies hang in there with toes and fingers dug in resisting to come out until they're ready, which is why I had such a long, involved induction with my first, or is the experience I had with DD going to be a one off?

DH and I were talking about this again over the weekend and he's thinking what we should do is get to 40 weeks and then talk to the OB about when he thinks we should book in for AROM. Not sure how I feel about it - one day that sounds like a really good plan, but then the next day sounds awful. Maybe by 40 weeks I'll just be so over it that I'll be happy to go with anything???

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the responses.

Yeah good point, gels probably aren't going to do anything you haven't already done on your own!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12