Thread: 20 month old refuses water and bfing like a newborn.

Default 20 month old refuses water and bfing like a newborn.

Wll the title says most of it. It started about 2 months ago. Up till then she was doing pretty much what dd1 did and was gradually reducing. I would forget, she would forget and slowly she was weaning herself. Then about two months ago she got quite sick. Temp 40.4, which put her off food for about 2 weeks, she refused all but breast. Fine no worries. Then she pushed out 3 molars. Once again, lots of boobies. Then we went to the uk. Lots of changes fine, but she was still having water. Whilst we were in the uk she started to change from just wanting lots of boobs, to wanting boobs and wanting them every half hour at times. Today, she refuses almost any water. She used to ask for it at dinner times, and now she just isn't that interested. She down right bawled when I tried to get her to have some water this arvo. She had about three sips this morning from my cup. I think she has a few more teeth coming. So I think it is comfort too. She also has a runny nose again. On top of that, I am 5 weeks pregnant and whilst I have milk still and I'm not to tender, I don't want her on my 24/7.

So any thoughts on how I handle this? I want her to go back to a slow wean. I don't want her this obsessed with my boobs.

Tia.

changes in my kids' feeding behaviour has been the first sign of pregnancy for me. I wonder whether she is trying to boost supply, and yout breasts are not responding as well - but she keeps trying.

distraction is probably your best tool, and keeping active so you are not sitting where you usually have your feeds. can you freeze some fruit icypoles or add freshjuice to getwater to get her interested again? bubbles or stickers or running around outside might get her mind off boobs for awhile.

with dd, I changed to set feed times (rather than whenever) during pregnancy. it helped me mentally cope with them when I was feeling touched out. I wasn't trying to wean, but from here she dropped feeds towards the end of pg and it could have been an opportunity to wean.

my ds is also pretty clingy atm so maybe some of the behaviour is just the age, and breastfeeding is where your LOs focus is.

hang in there

Me too - re pregnancy. DD was about 17.5 months when she started seriously refusing on an ongoing basis and in hindsight that was the first early sign of this pregnancy.

Thanks girls. I worry she is gonna get dry if she keeps at it like this refusing the water...