Thread: Benefits of breast feeding after 2 years?

Default Benefits of breast feeding after 2 years?

I am currently away (for the first time in 4 years) with my DH. And consequently, my 2 year old (and 3 months) is going without her bedtime BF (the only one she has now). I am wondering if now is the time to stop. Probably not, cause I don't think either of us are ready, but it would make the bed time routine a lot quicker!
    What are the nutrition benefits, if any, of BFing after the age of 2?

It continues to offer the same health benefits as always. Tailored bacteria to respond to the gut flora you have passed on. Stem cells to aid in growth and development. Immune defense. Nutrients such as calcium, vitamin D, essential fatty acids, blah blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by meow View Post
    It continues to offer the same health benefits as always. Tailored bacteria to respond to the gut flora you have passed on. Stem cells to aid in growth and development. Immune defense. Nutrients such as calcium, vitamin D, essential fatty acids, blah blah blah.
    It's the Vitamin Blah that really make them grow.

The immune benefits are still there too, and past two years they're likely to be in more and more contact with sick toddlers/preschoolers. My DD1 bf until almost four and six mths after she stopped she had her first (and only) ear infection. I don't think it's a coincidence. She's now 7 and that's the only time she's ever had to go to the dr for illness. I think bfing built her immune system to be as strong as possible.

I’m interested in why you think the bedtime routine will be quicker without a breastfeed - nature’s “knock out drops”. Have you ever experienced the bedtime routine of a non breastfed 2 year old. Those bedtime stories are as boring as bat**** and they will know if you miss a single word! and the curtain calls for 1 more story, another drink, just one last kiss and cuddle - I just could never hack it. 10 sucks and you are free......

Good point!!! I have a four year old. I know what you mean!!

I also think that the bond extended breastfeeding builds with your little one is invaluable. I'm a great believer in the security that you give a child leads to them being confident and independent as they grow and breastfeeding (even a toddler/child and even once a day/night) is so much more than just nutrition, although these benefits are great. There aren't many studies out there for breastfeeding older children but there are so many women who do carry on for many years, we just don't see it in public much. For those who want to read anything more there's a book called Breastfeeding Older Children by Ann Sinnott. Personally, I would always stop when you are both ready (and you'll know when that is), then there are no regrets either side. You'll still have milk even if you don't always feed every single night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamadoula View Post
    I also think that the bond extended breastfeeding builds with your little one is invaluable. I'm a great believer in the security that you give a child leads to them being confident and independent as they grow and breastfeeding (even a toddler/child and even once a day/night) is so much more than just nutrition, although these benefits are great. There aren't many studies out there for breastfeeding older children but there are so many women who do carry on for many years, we just don't see it in public much. For those who want to read anything more there's a book called Breastfeeding Older Children by Ann Sinnott. Personally, I would always stop when you are both ready (and you'll know when that is), then there are no regrets either side. You'll still have milk even if you don't always feed every single night.
    Thank you. X

Default thmadu Sayce

The benefits are still the same

I saw an infographic that said that the immune properties are greater in the toddler years. I guess it is because a toddler running about is coming into contact with a lot more germs than a baby who is generally close to you ITMS.