Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to feed a brand new baby

Default Re: How to feed a brand new baby

That's a good idea to use ultrasound during a feed. FX it all goes well for you :-)

Redgum I had been thinking of you and wondering how things panned out. So glad to hear things are going well!

Awesome effort! Please let us know how the appt goes - sounds very interesting.

So, I went to the Paed Surgeon last night. Was really happy with it. I loved the fact they did the ultrasound to see how DS fed off the boob before snipping his TT. Looking at the ultrasound he was doing "ineffective" sucks and was taking a long time to get what he needed. poor little guy, he loves the boob so much he was happy to work hard for it.... So needless to say we got the TT snipped. His now "re-learning" how to feed, his a bit all over the place ATM, which is normal. So I am expressing after every feed as well. She said within a week I should be able to fully drop the comps. She said if his poos are yellow / mustard that means his getting the hind milk (which they are so I am really happy about that) and if they are green its only the foremilk. She also said that they can snip the TT but if a bub has a high palate it's very unlikely they will BF effectively and DD has a high palate, so it makes me feel better that I did my very best with her and it was just the way of the world that she didn't BF properly. I am feeling really positive after last nights appointment. So we will see... Apparently this is the only place in NSW that ultrasound a feed and I absolutely love the idea, I didn't want him to have a procedure unless it was absolutely necessary.

Oh that sounds like a great outcome.

So, I went to the ECC today and met with the LC, I wasn't confident that DS was latching / sucking properly and wanted to get some tips / reassurance. I was right, although it wasn't hurting me he was still sucking ineffectively due to the latch. I have got him latching well now on the left side, but the right is going to take time, his never been great on that side - despite the fact I have better supply over there??!! She has advised me that he wasn't sucking that well as he was still sleepy and full from the last feed so has asked me to drop the morning comps and only try comping him in the late afternoon when my supply lags, and then to try and let him go max 4 hours instead of waking him at the 3 hours so that he wakes up "really hungry" and will suck better... So we will see...

I haven't read the other replies so sorry if I repeat anything.

Best advice I ever got? When in doubt, whip it out. Feed on demand. Feed back to back for hours, days, whatever. If bub is crying and unsettled after JUST having a feed, and it's not wind, just whip it out. Don't worry that you don't have enough milk because of this. Cluster feeding although exhausting is absolutely normal and happens at various stages, but especially in the beginning. Lots of skin to skin. Build a nest, climb in and stay there as much as you can in the early days. Just feed, drink lots of water and eat fresh fruit and veg. Pump if you need to. If baby is very sleepy in the early days, wake him/her 3hourly to feed. Ideally a newborn will feed very often.... (Ideal for them, not us )

Good luck!

I found the ABA to be fantastic. even though I was still feeding my 2yo when DS arrived, I had to learn how to attach a newborn all over again.

Well I'm very excited, had DS weighed, I only comped him a little bit over the past week and his gained 220g in a week so from today I'm not going to comp him anymore. So we will see how we go next Monday. I'm very proud of all my hard work & of my DS for sticking with me.

Great work redgum! Well done!

Wowee! That is very impressive weight gain.

Yay Redgum! That's brilliant news.

That's awesome!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12