Thread: Lumps weeks after weaning

Default Lumps weeks after weaning

I recently weaned ds at 26 months and have not fed for two weeks now. Yesterday I woke up with sore lumps in my left breast feeling a lot like blocked ducts. I tried massaging and expressing in the shower, but in the past I have used a baby/child to fully drain the blockage.

I am concerned about expressing too much and stimulating supply, but also leaving the lumps could lead to mastitis. How much do I need to worry about expressing at this stage? Should I focus more on the lumps or on minimizing stimulation?

I would focus a bit on massaging them down and using hot compress to release. i would worry that expressing might confuse things?? But then again, if you are getting flushes and shivers, then i would pump it out.

sorry not much help, but just offering what i have done in the past

P.S. WTG on that BF journey!!! amazing!

Thanks Cassius! Yes it's been 4.5 years continuously breastfeeding for me (although only a few months tandem feeding). My poor boobs are confused I think!

I've messaged my midwife too who is an LC to see what she says.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

No advice but just wanted to say wow and well done!!

Arcadia, how are you going? Feeling? How are the lumps?

Hiya OP! Feeling ok but lumps are sore to touch. My midwife suggested frozen cabbage leaves, so I'm going to try that. I expressed a little last night to ease the pain and will prob do the same this morn. I know I will stimulate the milk but one problem at a time is all I can handle!

Thanks for checking.

An electric toothbrush (or ultrasound if needed) can help break down lumps too.

take care and congratulations on an awesome breastfeeding journey.

Maybe pumping a little a few times s day might help. It might stimulate milk, but if you lessen the amount you pump every day hopefully it will help your bb come to term with the cessation of bf.

Default Re: Lumps weeks after weaning

I had the same thing. I expressed a bit each day to make things comfortable and stave off mastitis and gradually wound it down over a period of a couple of months.

My dr explained to me that with long term BFing it can take a while for your breasts to stop producing. I didn't dry up completely til 2 years post weaning (drops only at the end)

I should add - the difference between pumping to relieve vs bubba feeding is huge. Don't think you'll encourage supply because the volume is totally different so your body will definitely adjust

I see this has been rebumped lol cos I was thinking didn't you just have a baby haha

Hahaha what a rookie mistake!!! I'm sorry I didn't realise this was an old thread!!