Thread: Self attachment

Default Self attachment

Because I only ever ended up feeding with shields with dd1, she never really self attached to the breast.

Obviously dd2 is still too little for that but I was wondering what age do babies learn to put themselves on? Did you just let them or did they just do it themselves? Do you ever get attachment issues when they do?

Default Re: Self attachment

I did self attachment from birth. With my second and third DD's i lay them on my belly and they crawled up to the breast by themselves, you have to be patient and them take their time but eventually get there. It's amazing!!

With DD4 I followed a technique where you lean back in a sitting position and lay them on your shoudler they then scoot down to the breast all by themselves it is also incredible, and a little bit quicker!! You could probably google breast crawl and self attachment to the breast. I had some wonderful DVDS but have since given them back to midwife, I could find out the names if you like?

Your baby is not too little or too old to try self attaching, a whole new breast feeding experience!!

Baby led attachment was what helped DD and my attachment right itself. This time around I'm trying from birth.

I've been trying this at the suggestion of the LC last week. Not at every feed, but it has helped DS2 get a better latch (less painful). I just lay back and let him go, guiding him to the side I want him to feed at.

Yep, they can do it from birth, but may need some help/support from you to get in the right spot. If you lay back - you definitely don't have to sit bolt upright with your feet flat on the floor as some nurses are still insisting - make yourself comfortable and put baby on your chest she'll probably just do it.
    As she gets older and stronger, she'll be able to sit up and do it without that assistance from gravity that comes when she's on your chest.

How do they get enough breast in their mouth without us putting it in there? I'm so scared to just try it because of all the damage had last time.

For a baby that has been attached by its mother, what age do they normally attach themselves? My Cousin's baby is 9 months and she pops herself on, but my cousin can't remember when she started.

there are some links here
    As mammals, we are programmed to seek out and attach to the breast from birth. These instincts remain intact for at least the first 3-4 months.
    You know how babies tend to stick their hands in the way and grab at the breast when you're trying to attach them? And how they kick with their feet. And their head falls back if you don't hold them in tight...? and they lick their lips and stick out their tongue, bob their heads and turn them side to side? these are all things babies do to find and latch to theh breast that work really well if you lay back and put baby on your breast. if you're sitting upright, they all work against the feeding process, requiring mum to override her baby's instincts and do it for them.
    On your chest, using gravity to hold them down, they use their hands and feet to move into position - they crawl - and locate your breasts, then lift their heads and using their tongue and mouth and cheek they find the nipple and latch. just like that.

My dd damaged my nipples lots in the early days too but I remember when she was around 10 weeks I was talking to Dh and she just sucked the nipple in herself. So from then on I just let her self attach.

The other two have self attached from birth.