Thread: 12mo wont eat like she used to :(

Unhappy 12mo wont eat like she used to :(

ok so Miss A has regressed in her eating habits so badly
    she only has 3 bottles a day. and barely grazes throught the day. i dont know what i did wrong, she was eatnig so well. Eating a lot of our food as well as 'her' food!!
    she's been teething alot tho (has all her baby teeth except the 2yr molars)
    i need some help, im starting to really stress out.

i think i should also add that since she's stopped eating so well, when i make her somethingfor dinner (ill try giving hers omethign of ours then if that fails i make 'her' food) if she wont eat that i give her yoghurt, or cereal.. and sometimes..custard i know, i know and i know this is grounds for picky kids with bad eating habits "if i dont want what mum makes me i just wont eat it and she'll give me something i do like" i was talking to DH about it and he just said "dont give hre that other stuff then" and what am i supposed to do then? let her starve? ok so she has her bottle before bed.. but still..
    im at a loss, i need some super mummies to come and help me lol.

she won't let herself starve hun so don't stress too much. It could be she's waiting for the 'sweet' things to come out when she doesn't eat what she is first given..maybe try giving her what she is supposed to eat, if she doesn't eat it then take it away and offer it again in 30 mins/1 hour. Babies, like dogs (lol), won't let themselves go hungry so once she realises that is what she has to eat then she will probably eat it.
    But they are going through a lot of developmental things (mentally and physically) so that could be affecting her appetite as well.
    I know DD has days where she will only eat one thing off her plate, like the mashed potato, and won't want to eat anything else, but then the next day will refuse the potato and only eat the carrot or something

Hun, I hate to tell you this, but your DD's eating habits may go to pot for another 18 months or so. And it's nothing you're doing - promise, so please stop beating yourself up. I'm no expert, but my DS1 is a shocker when it comes to eating.

I've talked to many other mums of older toddlers, and it seems many of them have kids who go through a picky/fussy eating phase. Unfortunately our DS1 is still going through it, and he's 2 1/2. He ate brilliantly as a baby, but around 14-16 months of age, he started to get fussy and wouldn't eat some foods. It's hit and miss nowdays - he'll eat a whole meal one night, and won't touch it the next - or the next. I give him vegies every night - he'll eat carrot or broccoli for 2 or 3 weeks, then won't touch them for 2 or 3 months. No kidding. Interestingly, he eats well at daycare - peer pressure!

When he's being particularly fussy, I try and get DS1 to graze during the day - that way if he doesn't eat all his lunch or dinner, I know he's still eating. I often wonder how they can still have the energy they do when they don't eat, but apparently toddlers don't need to eat much to keep their batteries recharged. Sigh ... if only we adults worked the same way!

Having said all that, if you have any concerns for your DDs health, then get her checked out by a dr to make sure it's nothing more serious.

But if she's happy, healthy and drinking (bottles and water), then it sounds like she's a normal toddler. Um, dare I say ... "Welcome to the fussy eaters club"

sweetheart, you have done nothing wrong at all.
    I have a 4.5yo who still has phases.
    Sometimes it's as though toddlers can live on air. I promise you that unless there is something seriously wrong she will not let herself starve.
    I'll give you a great example. My little guy (who has had all his teeth including 2yo molars since 11mo) decided a while ago that he would eat nothing else but frozen peas. I kid you not. That is all he ate except BFs for a full fortnight. Soon he had forgotten that and was back to eating proper food.
    My number one tip in surviving toddlers eating frustrations is don't make it a battle. No matter how much you're seething with frustration on the inside, smile and cheerfully maintain your stance. If they get one iota of an inkling that there might be opportunity for a fight, they'll dig those little heels in lol.

thanks so much girls.
    Youve all made me feel so much better I know i have to stop offering her sweets, so that she only gets sweets if she eats her dinner. or whatevs.
    Every baby needs their own instruction manual haha!!

I agree they need their own manual instruction book and a switch to turn them off too

DS has definitely had phases and teeth was a major contributing factor.

My tips (and feel free to ignore them)
    *definitely don't make it a battle cause then it becomes a way she is testing the boundaries and asserting her resistence.
    *avoid the sweets/sandwhichs after tea - or at least make it every 2nd/3rd night, try to reoffer her tea an hour so later. I have had DS finish eating his tea after an hour or so. I also went through a period that if DS didn't eat his tea then I would offer the sandwhich/yoghurt etc... when I realised it was becoming a nightly habit that I put a stop to it.

Goodluck, hope she starts eating better for you soon.

Just subscribing ............. living in this world too !!!!!!