Thread: 3 meals a day?

Default 3 meals a day?

DS is 8 months old now and has been on solids for a few months now but he only has one meal a day and sometimes a few chomps at something I'm eating, he's not interested in having more right now BUT I've had a few people tell me, mainly women in their 50's about how he's old enough now to be on 3 meals a day. He's been in the 95th percentile for weight pretty much from day dot so I figure he's not starving and he's never been sick and is always full of energy so I don't think he's unhealth. Mainly I get told after I say he still wakes up once or twice a night and takes about half a bottle before he goes back to sleep. It's always "Oh if he had more solids he would sleep better, he'd have a full tummy, you're doing this to yourself" It's gotten to the point where they buy me baby food for him even though they know I prefer to make his myself and it just sits in the cupboard unused . Should he be on 3 proper meals a day or is it okay to keep letting him have a proper dinner and some snacking until he wants more?

Default Re: 3 meals a day?

Babies wake at night to feed, that's pretty normal, and sometimes they just wake up regardless of how much food you stuff into them because they also *need* comfort, reassurance, company, etc, etc.
    He sounds like he's doing extremely well on what he's getting! These well-meaning people are wasting their money buying him baby food, I think.

"Food is fun until they're 1" is how it works. Are you BFing? If so, breast milk is completely adequate nutrition in the first year. My DD would "snack" on solids for the first year and get most of her nutrition from BFing. I'm sure it works the same with formula too if you aren't BFing

Personally I'd offer food/whatever you're having several times a day, but I wouldn't worry if he's not interested or eating much. 'Food is fun until they're one' and all that.

And as for the night waking and feeds being *because* he's not having three meals, they're just talking out of their you-know-what's!

DD3 is nearly 10 months old and doesn't have 1 meal, let alone 3. She doesn't wake through the night though, her weight is in 25th percentile from day 1. She has zero interest in food and I just offer her food each meal, picks at it, but not much gets swallowed!

Ah good, I thought it was okay but first time mum paranoia you know? Though I guess it won't be a waste of money, they seem convenient to take when I'm out and i can always pass them on, no point wasting them