Thread: 4 month old the size of a 6 month old

Default 4 month old the size of a 6 month old

I'm off for DS5's 4 month immunizations tomorrow and will ask the nurse then but thought I might ask for some opinions now. He has just turned 4 months but weight and height is that of a 6 month old (a bit more actually) and he is exclusively breastfed at the moment. I'm wondering what the thought is of trying him with a bit of food? He feeds at 8am, 11am, 1pm, 4pm, 6:30pm and then 10ish and usually once or twice during the night. So what do you think should I offer some solids at some point throughout the day?

he sounds like he is doing beautifully on breastmilk. Is it worth complicating the issue with solids - particularly when current guidelines are to start solids at 6 mnths and he has such a great pattern? Was there a reason you were keen to start early?

His size i really not important...He is 4 months old, I wouldn't offer him any solids at all. Especially if there is no indication he is ready for them.

My little guy was the same. Well, actually he still is!
    He's 5 months now and still is feeding a lot like your little guy. He will stretch out his feeds every now and then but for the moment he's happy with his breastfeeds and to be honest, the hassle of introducing solids is something I don't want to begin at the moment

A couple of people have mentioned it so thought I would ask what opinions you ladies have as although I respect the women who have suggested it I feel you guys are a little more knowing

I think mostly because he is sitting up, has been for a few weeks, and rolling over and generally seems more in line developmentally with older babies and that is why it has been suggested. I know he is doing beautifully just the seed had been planted and thought I should at least ponder it and see what others think

There is an enormous amount of pressure to start solids early. If your baby is smaller its ?you mustn?t have enough milk you should start solids? If he?s larger then it?s ?you won?t have enough milk to keep up? (despite the obvious evidence to the contrary) You baby is not feeding very often - something tells me he doesn?t need to - he?s just doing just great with what he has. And as I mentioned Australian guidelines recommend solids at around 6mnths - I think I?d just not and smile at your friends and keep doing the amazing job you are doing.

I'd wait until he's showing signs that he's interested in food, if he's watching what you're eating as you put something into your mouth etc and hold off for awhile longer til then. He may also have that reflex which pushes the tongue forward and the food out of his mouth if you start earlier than when he's ready, anyway. I held out with our third bub last year, b/c just b.feeding is so much easier (especially if he's a great weight) than having to start solids.

When I took my little man to the gp for his 6mo immunisations, I was told that the average 1 year old weighed 10kg... Connor weighed 10.5kg. Exclusively breastfeed, completely happy & healthy.

I agree with the other posters, don't stress about solids yet...

DS2 was in a size 1 by 8 months old ... he's not actually *on* the charts ... exclusively bf to 6months, happy healthy and perfectly normal ... no stress here

My little man is just shy of 4mths and we haven't even contemplated solids. He's not showing any signs at all and I cannot be bothered But he's big too - hasn't been weighed in a while but is already wearing size zero.

If he's happy on BM, go with that

my DS who is 4 now, was the same as your little man, he was huge, everyone commented on it and how he must be ready for "real food" from about the age of 3 months!
    He was exclusively BF until he was 7 months, then we started Baby led solids (steamed vegies he could hold and chew) but not really forcing the issue.
    He showed plenty of interest in food, always eyeing off our food etc, but I just went with what I felt right for me and BFing exclusively was just so easy and hassle free LOL, he was always putting on plenty of weight and even when we did introduce solids he was more interested in boobies

Thats just my experience though.

Default Re: 4 month old the size of a 6 month old

That sounds like you have a good thing going.
    Personally, i'd wait until he really wants food- or swipes your toast one day