Thread: Is this an allergy?

Default Is this an allergy?

DS2 had egg for the first time at lunch time today. When I was changing his nappy before bed I noticed his tummy and a bit of his chest was red. No other symptoms and he is his usual happy self.
    He does suffer from a bit of eczema, but it has never looked like that.

Could this be a mild allergy??

Default Re: Is this an allergy?

It could be an allergy, if you give him egg again you may find it is much worse (if that's what caused the rash) as most kids actually react the second or third time having a food rather than the first. That's at least my understanding.

I would seek medical advice before offering egg again so you are aware what to do if there is a bigger reaction

Does it look hive like? My ds had an egg allergy until he was 5. He would get hives but it would take a few hours after exposure to start showing.

It was almost 7 hours after eating it, and no hives, just redness.

I took a pic, hopefully it'll work... There's a dry skin patch, but that's eczema, as is the redness around his mouth + a bit of dribble rash.

ImageUploadedByBellyBelly.com.au1405595774.558637.jpg

Could be allergy or an intolerance (different beasts). Also eczema and other atopic dermatological conditions are closely related to allergies and intolerances - a mild reaction can manifest in eczema etc and children with allergies or intolerances often have skin conditions too. That said DD1 who is allergic to egg and peanut, does not have any dermatological issues.

Thanks lovely ladies... Appointment booked with the doc on Monday.
    Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Update: Egg allergy confirmed by an allergist. Peanuts & fish also tested (just in case), but they were all clear.

He tells me an egg allergy is the 'best' one to have because most kids grow out of it.

The eczema and egg allergy tend to go hand in hand apparently.