Thread: BLW for 2mths not swallowing much

Default BLW for 2mths not swallowing much

We started BLW solids at 6mths and have happily moved to 3 'meals' a day (even when sleeps don't line up!)
    I know DD is still young (8mths) and babies can go 1 step forward 2 steps back with all skills when mastering them, but she really seems to politely spit out more food than she swallows at the moment. She also has no teeth as yet
    Should I be concerned?

Probably not
    Is she growing well, hitting milestones, etc? If so, then there's nothing to worry about at all.

I didn't really notice DD actually getting much in and through til 9 months - I knew when she was getting it thanks to her nappies lol. In the beginning I guess it's just learning about holding the food, getting it in her mouth properly, how to chew and swallow. She's learning all about flavours and textures, and when she's ready she'll eat it It won't be long until she's eating almost as much as you!

DD didn't really ingest much until 9-10 months. By 12 months she was a passionate foodie!

DS1 on the other hand fell in love with food the day he met it and shoved it in by the fistful!

They're all different. She'll get the hang of it!
    Last edited by Santosha; November 4th, 2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Fixing autocorrect!

Nope. Sounds totally normal.

For a while, you can expect around 50% if the food to be on the floor, 10% on the tray and seat, 15% on the face, hands and hair, 15% on the clothes, 5% on the bib, 3% inexplicably on the wall and 2% eaten (though sometimes they just store it in their mouths).

Thanks ladies. (Love your description peanutter!!)
    Reassuring as always. DD is powering on in all other regards, but she had upper lip and tongue tie (revised by laser). It's nice to see her tongue poke out but I just wondered about swallowing. Will w&w for another couple of months.

Peanutter you have described our dinner time perfectly!!