Thread: Changes in Poo when starting solids

Default Changes in Poo when starting solids

I started DS on solids a week ago with Paed advice and we are going really well - better sleeping etc and DS seems to love it and is clearly more satisfied, but have noticed a change in poo in the last 24+ hours. Rather than the BF liquidy poo's DS now is poo-ing little soft nuggets (that his butt cheeks squash into little pancakes) and today he has done about 5 of them, He seems to strain a little when pushing them out

Is this normal? Last night he woke himself up needing to poo which he's never done before

We have only had farex (for breakfast) and mashed banana, mashed pumpkin and mashed potato so far

GP said to ensure he is hydrated to keep the poo's soft, and his body/digestive system is just adapting to the change in his food

I think the frequency of his poo-ing is what is worrying me - what happened Poo-wise when your bub started solids?

Thanks
    Naomi

More poo with solids is definitely normal - especially for bf babies. Soft should be ok, but hard pellets are not good. As your dr said, lots of fluids are still needed to stop constipation, and because food shouldn't replace milk at this age. If the milk intake has dropped since you started solids, I would cut back on the solids and increase the milk.

Also, banana and potato can both contribute to constipation in the early weeks, so perhaps you might want to leave these out for now until things have settled down.

Thanks MR, appreciated - I have been BF as normal, and only giving two small solids feeds in the morning and late afternoon

I was wondering if the farex was the issue, but I only introduced the potato on the weekend (sunday) and it was yesterday that the poo changed so the timing is right to suggest the potato might be the key, I might just stick to pumpkin for the next few days, He seems fine on banana (it was really ripe)

That sounds like a good plan Naomi. Farex can contribute too, but it does sound more like the potato in this case.

Ahhh, all good now, I gave him a little pureed apricot yesterday and that seems to change the poo back to normal

i was going to say too that banana.potato and farex may constipate, orange vegies are great for preventing constipation
    glad the apricot worked