Thread: Constipation or getting used to new feeling?

Default Constipation or getting used to new feeling?

DS2 who is 7.5 months has been on solids (BLS) for about 6 weeks now; he loves his food. But since then he gets upset when doing a poo. The poo is formed and plasticine (sp?) consistency, but not pellety. The first time this happened I cut out all banana and carbs (bread/pasta/potato) and just gave him fruit and avocado until it cleared (again; not pelleted). Last week I started giving him his bread crust for breaky and lunch and some pasta/potato for tea again together with the fruit and avocado and we have the same problem again. He didn't go for a few days, was straining but no poo, so I gave him some brown sugar which got things going; again plasticine consistency but not pellety. He is still breastfed on demand; mostly 5-6 feeds in 24 hours. I just don't know if he really is constipated or would he just be getting used to doing a more formed poo? Do I keep cutting out the carbs or keep giving him small amounts and wait until he gets used to it?

I'd say it because it the new sensation. Both of mine have gone through adjustments to. DD2 now stops and grunts and goes red in the face even though she does a pathetic little one.

A good stool will be combined, and slightly wet, so if it touches something it leaves a mark.

I've found I can't give her certain foods to many days in a row, like banana, cause she would start to do pellets. As they get older though they can start to tolerate things like banana every day. To begin with I just restricted what she had each day and spread it out a bit, now she can pretty much it anything any day.

Thanks Studymum, good to hear that some other bubs need some time to adjust too.
    DD2 now stops and grunts and goes red in the face even though she does a pathetic little one
    this is exactly what DS2 does; you think he'd filled up his nappy, but there is hardly anything in it and he then continues to scream until i change his nappy. They are funny little critters...

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    but there is hardly anything in it and he then continues to scream until i change his nappy
    Same here with DD2. Yet DD1 is happy to sit in her own poop for ages, and when I ask is in denial that she has even done one and hides.

Yep Ds does this too! And the grunting... Gosh it cracks me up!
    Are you giving him some water with his meals? I find that helps to keep things a bit softer and easier for DS.
    Mango is good too

Studymum - DS1 is the same as your DD1, he doesn't worry about a pooey nappy; that's why I was worried about DS2 screaming. They are all so different and like to keep us guessing.

Helle - Good idea. He does get some water with mealtimes, but I haven't been giving him too much because I don't want him to cut down on BF. I will try giving him more water.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Studymum - DS1 is the same as your DD1, he doesn't worry about a pooey nappy; that's why I was worried about DS2 screaming. They are all so different and like to keep us guessing.

Helle - Good idea. He does get some water with mealtimes, but I haven't been giving him too much because I don't want him to cut down on BF. I will try giving him more water.
    He shouldn't do... DS drinks a about 180-200ml a day of water and is still a booby machine! He'll know what he wants