Thread: Cow's Milk...fact or fiction???

Default Cow's Milk...fact or fiction???

My son is 10 months old....and I thought it was ok for him to have cows milk in his cooked food (just not as a full bottle) IYKWIM. I just told a friend about a great recipe I was going to try for his dinners and she totally freaked out cos it has cows milk in it....roughly one cup spread out over 5 dinners. Is that really ok or not??

So far the main thing I have been wary of are honey, nuts and eggs. Are they the main danger ones??? Feels like the rules change every week lol

My MCHN said it was fine to use cow's milk (instead of formula) in cereal for her, so I guess in his dinner it would be ok, it's not like he will be drinking it straight and it's not a huge amount.

You're not supposed to give them cows milk before 1, but I think that means don't give them a big cup of milk IYKWIM. I have been putting butter and milk into his foods since he was about 9 months. mostly things like butter in mashed potato etc.

I thing its a trial and error thing. Why don't you make your recipe and then give josh one serve. freeze the rest. Wait 3 days and see how he goes, you'll know if it's not working.

HTH

Meh, my boys have eaten meals with cows milk ingredients since they started solids and they are all just fine! Even had it with cereal. I just think they mean as a main source of liquid you shouldnt use it til 12mths as their bowels and stomach arent matured enough to cope with large amounts til then.

Cows milk is not to be given in place of breastmilk or formula before the age of 1 but it is fine to use in cooking from 6 months, along with other dairy products such as yoghurt and cheese.

i was talking about this with MCHN on friday - DD loves vegies in white sauce - she said it's fine, provided you keep an eye out for reactions to it. DD gets a bit bound up if she has too much dairy (it has cheese in it as well) so we just have to make sure to limit how much she has. i think the worry is about people replacing BM or Formula with cows milk too early. in cooking, it should be fine (especially as a lot of the lactose etc is broken down by the cooking process)

just keep an eye on your kidlets - if they have any sort of reaction (bound up, loose movements) they may not be ready for it yet.

Thanks guys That all pretty much confirms what I thought was the case....so after reading this Ive given Josh the meal tonight and as Ella suggested, Ive frozen the rest so I can wait n see how he goes.

It made sense to me that it would be ok, since he eats other dairy like cheese n yoghurt without any problems