Thread: Extremely bad wind after starting solids

Default Extremely bad wind after starting solids

DS, 6 months, started on solids a week ago. First it was banana, then carrot sticks, cucumber and yesterday some roast veg (sweet potato and carrot). He is ready in the sense that he is chewing and swallowing, but I don't think his digestive system is ready.

He has been Satan Spawn, basically. Takes several hours to get to sleep and in the process gets overtired and screams. He has awful, I mean awful wind and wakes within half an hour to screech like a dying vulture and does a series of massive farts. This goes on ALL night.

He won't feed because his wind is so bad, so on top of the extreme overtiredness and wind, he's also pretty hungry.

This morning the diarhea began.

I thought starting solids was supposed to be fun!?

What do I do? Continue and somehow cope? Stop and try again in a month? Or offer different foods? Help, this sucks

I think most kids take awhile to adjust to the intro of solids. I just watch bub and if they seem to be struggling, give them a day or a few days for their tummies to be ok again and then try again, and go slow for a little while.

DS was readier earlier than DD in wanting to put food in and swallow, but his digestive system reacted more, and so I chose to slow down in what I was offering. DD took longer to ingest food, but still when she did, she was unsettled for awhile while everything adjusted to all these new sensations and functions.

That gives me hope. When did their tummies settle?

how much are you offering in a day? maybe just offer once during the day?

Spock had problems after starting solids, would wake at night every 1 - 1 1/2 hours, screaming, arching, not settling. we fixed it by not offering her any solids after 430 pm. I haven't limited what I am giving her though, only when, so from when she wakes up to 430 its a free for all and she can have whatever she wants, and will get breakfast every morning and atleast one main meal (sometimes 2) and a couple of snacks (depends on what we are doing and what I am eating). she doesn't eat much, we do bls, so I just put stuff in front of her, she probably only eats a tablespoon, maybe 2.

food is fun until one. There are also plenty of people out there who don't offer solids until bub is 1. BF is still your bubs primary sorce of nutrition. so as long as you don't cut back on they bf, solids are just a bonus. so don't stress if he isn't having much. if he is happy go for it, if not, take a step back.
    good luck!!

I started my kids with breakfast first and gave them a week or so to get used to it. First food for all of mine was pitted prunes - if anything is going to block them up it won't be prunes Banana is often suggested as a first food but it can cause constipation. I also give yoghurt early on to line the tummy with some good bacteria which seems to help if they are having gas issues.

If he is still happily BF then I would personally just forget about solids for a couple of weeks and try again. It really isn't worth the bother for a six month old when it isn't particularly needed.

Perhaps try stopping or at least winding back for a bit and see what happens? He wont' suffer any at this age for the lack of solids while you continue to breastfeed.

Thanks for the suggestions.

We are doing baby led here too, offering once or twice a day. When I remember lol

I think I'll let his tummy settle for a couple days, and then no food after mid arvo. Sounds like a good move.