Thread: how long before not eating solids matters?

Default how long before not eating solids matters?

My bubba boy is almost 7 months he hates solids! He isn't into pur?ed stuff so have tried chunks he can hold but he still refuses and chucks the food off the highchair, cries, screams and clenches his lil mouth shut and if he does take a tiny bit in he spits it out!

How long can babies go without really eating? I don't want to push him and end up with him having issues. He is a big bub at 9.2 kgs so isn't wasting away but not sure how long he's going to be like this. I started trying solids 1 week before he was 6 months. My daughter took food fine from bout 5 months and was 3 meals a day by 6 months

Food is fun til they are one

Formula or breast milk is a babies main source of nutrition in the first year (or more) of life. They don't need food til they finish with formula or breast milk. Its all about practice & getting them used to eating. Building them up over the months til they're eating enough to get everything they need.

Watch him. If all is well, I wouldn't worry for the time being. Certainly, milk is the most important source of nutrition till 12 months, so at this age most babies wouldn't be eating much anyway. It's about the experience.
    Precisely when babies *need* food is variable. Some time between 6-12 months the iron stores *start* to run out, which is why we have the 6 month recommendation. That doesn't mean all babies need other sources of nutrition from 6 months. In fact, many are just fine not eating till much later.
    Am I right in remembering food allergies or sensitivities?

Both of my boys took a good 13-14 months before they were consistently interested in solids and even then it was hit and miss until closer to 3. At 7 months I was lucky to get one meal a week into them (at least that's what it felt like), they were absolutely, totally not interested regardless of how or what was presented, unless it was BM. They're both great eaters now, the bigger one particularly, so I would definitely not be worrying too much yet. Breastmilk or formula is still the main source of food for littlies until they're 1 - don't let MCHN's or anyone else scare-monger you too much, if all his other developmental stages & weight gains are good, then he's probably fine. your DS probably hasn't researched what his big sister did, so he won't have realised that he's stressing you out because he's different. Just like my guys still haven't read the "sleep through the night" books. my philosophy with my boys was that as long as I was offering healthy options, it was up to them when/how much they chose to eat.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Food is fun until there one. AND Parents provide children decide.

Keep offering things to him if he doesn't like it you can't force him. Just give him pieces of steamed vegie etc and let him expolore in one time. DS1 was nearly 9 months before he was eating anything worth counting as an amount of food.

BF or FF is the main source of nutrition until they are one, so try and not stress and go with the flow offer things of your plate and see how you go.