Thread: Ideas please :)

Default Ideas please :)

Dd is 7 month old and I'm wanting to introduce some casseroles with meat. She has had the little squeezy pouch things with chicken and beef with no problems, but i would like to make my own. I have googled, but lots of recipes have all kinds of crap in them! Just some simple, healthy recipes if anyone has any TIA

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Default Re: Ideas please :)

Google one handed cook they have some awesome baby ideas.

Thanks Joeve

My lovely little lunchbox has baby led weaning recipes, I am making stuff from there's everyday. Otherwise Annabel Karmel is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
    My lovely little lunchbox has baby led weaning recipes, I am making stuff from there's everyday. Otherwise Annabel Karmel is good too.
    Saffy I looked at Annabel karmel and almost all her recipes you had to use a packet of her food. Plus I can't access some recipies unless I subscribe or something like that. But i did steal a few good ones

Also, is there anything aside from nuts that is a definite no go for 7 months. And I have been giving her textured foods like oats, mashed veggies. When can I give her things like toast fingers and stuff like that? She has 2 bottom teeth so can chew bits off, i worry she will choke on something. When I give her rusks she will grind one side with the teeth until the top pops off and gets stuck in the roof of her mouth! So I have to watch her...

Oh sorry I have a book of hers that is all stuff made from scratch.
    You can definitely give toast, you can give anything except nuts and honey. Try crumpets or English muffins, I think my dd ate them before actual toast.

The my lovely little lunchbox blog has a lot of vegetable fritters that are good finger foods for beginners, eg pea fritters, carrot fritters, easy to make and eat.
    She shouldn't choke on toast, usually if they put too much in they gag and it comes back out. I freaked out the first time it happened but you get used to it really quickly and it's just a normal part of learning to eat. My DD has been known to shove about 5 grapes in her mouth at once, they just get ejected after she realises she can't swallow them all lol.

The other book I use sometimes is a women's weekly one called healthy food for babies and toddlers or something like that, I got it at one of those cheap bookstores for a few dollars, it's good as well.

You can give her anything that isn't an obvious choking hazard - nuts are ok, so long as they're not whole nuts that might lodge in the throat, for eg. Honey is the only thing not recommended before 12 months due to possibility of botulism.
    If she's chewing and swallowing then she's ready to eat and can probably handle just about anything (and anything she can't will get spat out, that's what the gag reflex is for).

I didn't do BLW (no way, i would have been panicking with every bite!), we started on purees at 4 months and so far so good But I'm excited to try some new stuff besides vegetables and fruit. I just saw a young girl at safeway loading up her trolley with jars and sachets with her bub. I felt a bit sad for her

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Tasha I was exactly the same. I progressed from puree to mashed banana and avocado that I gradually let get chunkier. Then at 10 months I gave her toast lol
    I was a huge choke panicker
    I still am but I'm gradually trusting her gag reflex a bit more
    You need to be comfortable otherwise your stress will transfer to her

Just out of interest, I heard from a woman who works answering 000 calls that there were only 2 cases of choking in the past 10+ years in WA - both adults. It's something parents worry about - quite understandably - but rarely actually happens. Gagging happens a lot, however. If they're making noise, then they're not choking as they must be getting air. That's what I always reminded myself.

This is the second time doing BLW and it's just great
    They have amazing gag reflexes and will spit anything out they can't swallow

DD2 has for an example
    Toast fingers with Vegemite
    Banana whole
    Papaya. Paw paw . Mango . All in pieces whole .
    All the veggies in whole pieces she can grab on to cooked
    Yogurt
    Cous Cous
    Fish

Anything easy to pick up or grab on to
    Avocado

Just about anything we eat .. No meat as we don't eat it but everything else
    Last edited by CinderToriella; February 12th, 2014 at 08:28 PM.