Thread: Mix feeding mumma's

Default Mix feeding mumma's

DD is really keen on her food. At 6 1/2 months old she'll try anything and is also happy to be spoon fed muesli in the morning. My question is mainly to the mumma's who mix feed.
    How do you fit solids in around bf and bottle feeding etc?
    DD wants to go back to sleep after 90 minutes of being awake.
    This is what this morning went like:
    Bf
    Bottle
    Nappy change
    Breakfast
    2 Books
    Bed.

How do you fit solid in? DD loves her sleep too so playtime is kinda limited.

FL, because it's so important to me that my supply is maintained, and that any milk volume that DS drops because of the solids is formula, not BM, I do a BF immediately before every solids feed, and offer a formula top-up immediately after each solid feed (theoretically, anyway.) What actually happens is that he has a BF, then solids, and doesn't want any formula after a solids feed, but he like milk before going to bed, so I offer both boobs (which have almost nothing in them at that point, most times) and then formula again until he's satisfied.

This is a plan of my own devising, because no-one can tell me how to do it with mix feeding and maximising supply.

He's taking about half as much formula in 24 hours now (200-250ml), being on three meals a day, than he did immediately before we introduced solids (400ml/24 hours). He certainly loves the boob, still, and sometimes before naps or bed will go for a few sucks from the boob (for the comfort) to a few sucks on the bottle (cos he's still hungry), and I hold the bottle close to him so he can pull it to his mouth while BFing, if he wants it.

DS is mostly awake for longer than your DD, about 2 1/2 - 3 hours now, though that first wake period in the morning tends to be shorter.

So our morning goes -
    BF in bed as soon as DS wakes
    Nappy change
    Breakfast
    Formula offered, and rejected after 2 sucks
    Playtime, or I go for a run with DS in the pram
    BF+Formula, then nap OR falls asleep in the pram (without having had any formula) while I'm running!

Other cycles in the day are usually -
    Wake up, play, BF, solids, play, BF+formula, sleep. (We call it the PEPS cycle, Play, Eat, Play, Sleep... the extra feed before sleeping isn't part of the plan, just part of the reality.

I'm really interested to hear what other mix mammas do, too. I also wonder how many of us there are who need to offer BF and F throughout the day, as opposed to the mix feeding where they have a bottle of formula at night/at CC or whatever, and fully BF the rest of the time.

At 6.5 months DS was having more feeds than solids. He was formula fed so he had formula for an early breakfast and then again around 10am. At lunch we gave him solids, followed by milk. In the evening we gave him solids as well as his milk but it wasn't very much solids. It was around 8 months that he started really enjoying his food and we started cutting back on his milk.

It's funny, I never thought I would forget a moment of how I did things with DS when he was young but the memories of this time and how I fed him are starting to become a little hazy. LOL.

Mmm.. Food for thought Pholi and Aussiegirl.

Pholi, you've really got me thinking about alternative ways of organizing liquids and solids. When I get around to it I think I'll post the same question on the bfar site and see what other mumma's do too.

I'm hoping Nickle (shame we cant tag) and other mix feeding mumma's will add to the discussion on here.

Bumping

Here I am!! FL, I'm such a ditz.... I found that book, but never PM'd you!! I'm so sorry, if you still want to borrow it PM me and I will post it on Monday.

As for the feeding routine, I always prioritised the breast as it was so important to me to maintain my supply. So we would wake up and have a BF in bed which would satisfy Miss P. We would get up, nappy change and usually Miss P would sit in the high chair with some food to nibble on whilst I had a cuppa and tidied up. We did BLS, so maybe a piece of toast and some banana. Miss P was very keen on spoon feeding herself from a very young age, so maybe some yogurt as well and bugger the mess! We would then have a bath/shower and dress. Now, I also have to school aged children, so we would hop in the car and do the school run. If Miss P was hungry I would BF her at school (the sling was great, could BF and deal with the other kids or listen to reading), but usually she was ok to wait until we got home. I would sit on the couch and offer another BF, usually one side. A short play on her play mat or similar then offer the other breast. Often, this was enough and Miss P would be ready for bed, but if she wasn't satisfied, I would offer a FF top up.

Awake from sleep, snuggles on the couch and often she would seek another BF. Nappy change, a play (on the mat, a book or just scooting around the house whilst I cleaned!) then into the highchair for lunch which could be anything - a sandwich, left overs, some fruit. Depending on her mood, possibly a short play and then a BF, both sides. If she was not satisfied, I would offer a FF top up. Afternoon sleep, then usually I would wake her for school pick up. Into the car still sleepy, pick up the big kids then home for a BF whilst the big 'uns told me about their day. My two little babysitters would then take over while I prepared dinner or did whatever I needed to. Sometimes a walk or a trip to the park, then home for dinner. Babysitters looking after Miss P while DH and I cleaned up, then usually a BF on the couch. Stories and cuddles with the big kids, then usually a long BF while DH and I watched telly. Often Miss P would fall asleep (I don't mind feeding to sleep), but if she didn't seem satisfied, a top up. Off to bed...

We co sleep and have an 'open bar' policy, so I slept with my PJ top open and Miss P helped herself overnight. It doesn't suit everyone, but I'm sure it helped to maintain my supply. I also demand fed during the day, so whilst I have described a typical day, there were often days with extra BF's or days when we were out so the routine might be different.

As I said, I prioritised offering the breast so I only offered Miss P formula top ups if she didn't seem satisfied. By the time she was about 8 months and actually consuming a decent amount of her food instead of playing with it or wearing it, we were pretty much down to 1 FF at the end of the day when I didn't have a great supply left. Miss P has always liked to cluster feed in the evenings and I would often watch telly for a couple of hours while she snoozed on the boob. If I took the boob out she would wake up and re attach!

You are doing an amazing job! Soon enough, your DD will be eating more solids and will only need your BM and you can ditch the top ups. I kept offering FF until about 12 months and then just solids and BF's. Miss P is now 2 and a half, a great eater... and still on the boob!! I worried so much about maintaining a BF'ing relationship - now I wonder if she will ever stop!

Mix feeding can be hard work, trying to find the balance and the time is tricky! My advice at this stage is to always offer the BF as a priority. Solids at this stage are about exploration more than nutrition. If your DD is tired and won't make it through solids, then BF, then FF - skip the solids and offer a top up if the BF doesn't satisfy her. Be led by your DD's cues, watch her weight gains and have confidence that you are doing it right!

Thanks Nickle. I can see that both you and Pholi did bf then food then formula if required. I think I'll eventually do the same but I'm a bit nervous/ anxious to do it at 6.5 months old.
    She's having muesli and yoghurt and milk for breakfast and sometimes a nibble on some fruit/ cruskits/ veg is etc if she's awake when they're on offer.
    Feeds take at least 40mins for both sides and a bottle so it seriously cut down on time to play/ wash/ eat solids and I'm starting to find it hard to include solids too!!
    DD has 5 ff feeds a day at the mo (always after a bf except for her supper feed which is just ff) plus feeding to sleep several times a day.
    Btw I ended up buying that book and found it good in working through some of the strong feelings that were coming up.
    Back to the top ups. DD seems to really need them and I don't think she'd be ok without them at the mo. Hopefully as she gets towards one year old we can reduce the ff and just bf.
    btw I can't remember... Are you guys taking herbs of gold bf support? I've run out and can't get it from my 2 usual places. My supply has dropped because of it :-((

FL, as your DD gets a bit older she will most likely sleep less and you will have more time to fit feeds in! Don't forget that supply = demand when BF, so offer the breast as often as you can manage. I took Motilium from the time of DD2's delivery (reminded my ob to prescribe it whilst he was stitching me up!) until she was 12 months old. I was happy for her to wean any time after 12 months so weaned myself off the Motilium. My supply certainly decreased, but DD was eating well (solids) by then and seemed satisfied by only the breast with no FF top ups. She continued to want the breast, particularly when she was tired. Er... she still wants the breast when she's tired!!

Take it one day, one feed at a time. You are doing a magnificent job!

Thanks Nickle. I did the same as you guys this morning and did a bf the breakfast then bottle and I feel better about doing it this way because I feel like there is less of a chance of DD over feeding. She usually has muesli and yoghurt for breakfast and I recon she can indicate when she's had enough of a bottle clearer than when shes had enough solids, even though she is grabbing the spoon and we both guide the food to her mouth. She had some banana this morning too. The ff was about 70mls instead of about 100mls. What about the change in nutrients etc from reduced ff? Is it ok at this age?

Eta: I found the herbs of gold bf support online for $22 plus $6 postage so I bought 2 for not much more than I usually pay for 1.