Thread: Nappy rash and solid intro for 18 week old

Question Nappy rash and solid intro for 18 week old

deleted

Last edited by marlin; June 26th, 2010 at 10:34 PM.

hun it could very well be that he is just not ready for solids - the recommendation is not to start until at least 6 months

Well in consultation with my health nurse we have discovered the rash a heat rash and nothing to do with the solids

We have attempted cereal again and its going great (baby is now 20 weeks)
    The world health organisation recommendation is to start 'around' six months and the health nurse says between 4 and about 8 is that
    Also if you are breastfeeding only its important to have solids commenced at 6 months as breastmilk doesnt provide all the iron a baby needs at that point

hope this info helps others as I was confused
    Last edited by marlin; May 13th, 2010 at 12:37 PM.

Just for anyone else who might read this looking for the correct information. The guidelines still say solids are best delayed until 6 months.

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

• World Health Organization
    • UNICEF
    • US Department of Health & Human Services
    • American Academy of Pediatrics
    • American Academy of Family Physicians
    • American Dietetic Association
    • Australian National Health and Medical Research Council
    • Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
    • Health Canada
    Delaying solids helps to protect baby from iron-deficiency anemia.
    The introduction of iron supplements and iron-fortified foods, particularly during the first six months, reduces the efficiency of baby's iron absorption. Healthy, full-term infants who are breastfed exclusively for periods of 6-9 months have been shown to maintain normal hemoglobin values and normal iron stores. In one study (Pisacane, 1995), the researchers concluded that babies who were exclusively breastfed for 7 months (and were not give iron supplements or iron-fortified cereals) had significantly higher hemoglobin levels at one year than breastfed babies who received solid foods earlier than seven months. The researchers found no cases of anemia within the first year in babies breastfed exclusively for seven months and concluded that breastfeeding exclusively for seven months reduces the risk of anemia.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin View Post
    Also if you are breastfeeding only its important to have solids commenced at 6 months as breastmilk doesnt provide all the iron a baby needs at that point
    Actually hun a baby can more tha thrive on BM alone up until 12 months, anything else is merely supplementary to this. We did not even start to introduce solids till 7 months.

this is not a debate here about what is right or wrong (thanks for the info though)
    remember these are guidelines
    a mother has choice about what to introduce and when
    we are going for the experimental idea of food not for nutrition at this point
    My baby will be fully breastfed also

Marlin, you are totally right that it is your choice. I do think though it is important that people have accurate information to base their decisions on, so for that reason I am really glad that Heaven posted the correct information about the guidelines. Sure, you have made your choice, but there are others reading this thread that might still be deciding on what to do. I am sure that your health nurse pointed out all the health risks with choosing to start solids before 6 months, but not everyone might know about these.

Also, not everyone might realise that any solids a baby consumes reduce their breastmilk consumption, so it can lead to babies having lower iron levels and nutrients than a baby who is exclusively breastfed (once solids are introduced it is not longer exclusive).

I am confused...
    How can you totaly breast feed if a baby is also having solids??