Thread: Nothing but breastmilk for 8month

Default Nothing but breastmilk for 8month

Hi all

Dd2 will not have a bar if anything except breast milk.
    She gags and vomits as soon as baby food enters her mouth.

So i started bls which is better for her as she seems to enjoy fruits, toast and shredded chicken in large chunks (no puree)

Having said that she is not having full meals just like one or two pieces.

Im scared she will choke as she has no teeth at all but hates puree!

Will she get enough nutrients with bm only? The nurse suggested by 9 months she should have some solids but it really does not look like she will by then.

Thanks!!

Yep it's fine, DS is almost 11mths and only usually h two meals a day and has only really started having more than a bit. Food is for fun until they're one remember.

ETA: they are just as likely to choke on pur?e'. They have a gag reflex for a reason, I know it can seem scary but all will be good.

Food is fun until one

Oh thanks girls

Thats a great saying. I was getting worried!!!

DD was 9 months before we noticed food going in, and 12 months before she ate a 'decent' amount. DS started at 6 months but puked most of it, so we went slow for awhile, but he was 8 months or so before he started taking much in. Similarly probably around 11 or 12 months before he ate a meal. Now, they love food and some days eat more than DH and i.

Both of my boys were well over 12 months before they really started to be interested in solids. Didn't matter what I did or how I presented it, they just really didn't want anything much more than BM. My now 5yo is a brilliant eater all things considered - pretty much any fruit and veg (including broccoli, the weirdo ), salads, and fish, some chicken, just not so keen on red meat unless it's spag bol. My 3yo likes anything that comes with sugar, particularly if it's chocolate, but he's okay, great with sushi which can be my lifesaver at times.

I always found that I was hearing the stories of how "Felix eats 4 weetbix for breakfast, then 2 sandwiches at lunch, a whole banana and then a full plate of pasta for dinner, followed by 2 tubs of yoghurt and he's only 10 months". Okay, so that's an exaggeration, but parts of it come close to some conversations. And it's great if you have an "eater", but it's not the way for everyone, and as Lady Neon said, for the first 12 months, BM (or ABM) is the main source of calorie & nutritional intake. I think sometimes this message gets really lost in the rush to convert them to solids. It's good to give them tastes of things, or with BLS the opportunity to choose to taste something, but okay to let them come to it in their own time, as long as they are healthy. Obviously, if their weight starts spiralling downwards then you need to get that checked out, but if they're maintaining a steady weight gain (not dropping significant percentiles), then they're probably doing just fine.

My other thought with MCHNs - they have an important job to do, it's just that sometimes you don't actually need to tell them everything. If your little one is doing well on all other measures & is a healthy happy bub, then maybe just nod in agreement with the MCHN and let your baby come to food in her own time. Not all bubs read the Baby Handbook before they arrive ( I know mine certainly didn't!), so sometimes they seem to not follow the instructions, but most of them get to where they need to be. And trust your instincts, - you know your child better than anyone

Default Nothing but breastmilk for 8month

I think everyone has said what I would above. DD didn't 'eat' solids til 13 months. Until them she relied on boob and played with food. She's a strapping 2.5 year old now and her weight never was of concern. It can be stressful when others start weighing in on the issue especially my MIL but that is a whole other story. Enjoy this booby time and food playtime!

How are things going?

Hi dusty
    Still no food. I havent been that much depressed with it as im taking advice from this thread food is fun until one

She still loves to eat off our bowls such as chicken pieces and two days ago carrot in a pasta dish but nothing substantial

So still fully bf and shes going on 10 months

I would just do some more reading up on BLS. I think that would reassure you because it sounds totally normal to me

DD1 didn't even touch food till around 9 months and then it was still slow and steady from there, we did BLS. She was over 18mo before she had what I would consider meals rather than tastes and tests of food. She is 4 now and eats anything and everything and doesn't stop. Trust your babies instincts, they will know what they need and handle it if given the opportunity, so just keep offering!

How about you frame it this way - how many adults do you know that still only have breastmilk? She will eat eventually and it sounds like she's doing well enough without it. It's not like she doesn't know how to eat, she just isn't that fussed on it as a food source yet.

Not only 'food is for fun until they are one' but also 'parents provide, babies decide'.

As long as you are providing her the opportunity to try different tastes and textures (which you said you do), she is totally in charge of what she actually consumes. This is true for BLS as well as puree/mush-fed babies.