Thread: Organic Food for Baby

Default Organic Food for Baby

Hiya -

DS is 7months old and 90% of the food that we feed him is organic. I would love to keep this up but having tried DP and I on totally organic foods for a time before DS was even around we found it quite expensive and couldn't sustain this lifestyle.

Does anyone feed their child a totally or high percentage organic diet or are there any families who are totally or high percentage organic and if so do you have any tips on an affordable way to sustain this lifestyle.

I will be putting in some veggies etc once I get some spare time (do you actually get spare time again? ).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions that may come my way.

Yeah, I think growing your own vegies is a good way to start. Also maybe in your area there are others with fruit trees & veg, eggs, honey, etc that they might be willing to trade?

Hey hun,

What have you decided to do with this?

We feed DD 95% organic, it's expensive but I just don't trust the alternative, I have found that going to an organic fruit and veg market is the cheapest way - would assume there is something like that where you live...

If you have the space definitely growing your own is a good option.

Or perhaps there is a co-op in your area you can join? Buying in bulk is always cheaper...

I am looking at buying mine from one of my suppliers, perhaps you can somehow use your ABN to buy direct??

DD has just started trying solids and won't be eating properly for a good time yet, but everything she has had so far is 100% organic. We have also switched to organic, an although it's more expensive, I feel the benefits are worth the cost. I live in a third floor apartment, and I'm thinking of starting a small balcony garden with some of our faves to try and cut costs a bit.

Still just going along the same. Haven't had a chance to get any veggies in the garden yet. I shop at my local Organic store and it's quite good. If I can't get there I try to pick up organic fruit/veg, pasta, rice etc when I'm at the supermarket. Coles and Woolies have a little organic produce section but I think the quality may be a lesser grade then what my independent store sells and the variety is definately more limited.

DP and I are eating a little more organic too because most of the time DS is eating the same meals as us but we are still not 100%. Also if we eat at other people's places we don't get organic. We also just booked a holiday to America in May and I know that he will be getting much less organic when we do that but I'm trying not to let it become all-consuming. Just do the best I can.

DS is going great with all his organic fruit and veg though. He's a great little eater.