Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw apple for 9 month old?

Default Raw apple for 9 month old?

With winter coming on there aren't many fruits around. during summer lots of 'soft' fruit like peaches and nectarines etc, but at the moment there seems to be only pears and apples around. Got some peaches the other day and they were gross!

So I'm wondering if it's ok to give DD slices of uncooked apple, it's not going to be too hard for her is it? When did you give your baby uncooked harder fruits? Would like something other than pear to give her as I'm sure we'll both be sick of them soon! lol

personally I wouldnt. Its too much of a choking hazard for my liking for a baby that young. DD has really only started having apple the last month (shes 17 months).

You can always stew them and allow them to cool so they are soft?

what about grating it? i think that's meant to be okay? i haven't tried raw apple yet. or you could put it in one of those teething mesh bags (i really hope you know what i mean - can't remember the official name )

what about kiwi fruit as another option? they seem to be okay at the moment

Grate it hun. Or cut it into tiny slithers

A whole apple I wouldn't though.

Is she a BLS baby?

Either that or stew it a little so it's softer

Oh no I wouldn't give her a whole apple..she'd probably just use it as a bowling ball

I was thinking really thin slices...but maybe I'll leave it for a while. I never thought of grating it, so thanks for that suggestion! Might try that instead!

MissyMoo- we do a bit of both BLS & spoon feeding, she manages quite well either way

I have a ton of stewed fruit in the freezer but I'd like her to have a go at picking it up and eating it as well rather than just having it from a spoon all the time.

I was asking if she does BLS because I used to stew the apple until it was JUST soft, then put it in a bowl for Ash. He could pick it up then and eat it and it was gummable.

I tried grating apples but it was just messy and soggy. My twins much preferred a soft raw apple (just one of the naturally softer varieties) cut in slices so they could get their gums into it.

I gave my 7month old large finger shaped chunks of apple and she loved it!!! I chopped the side off an apple and then cut that into three lengths.... I left the skin on too. She could get a really good grip and really chewed into it.... she didn't actually eat much of it. But she sure LOVED trying. It is all about tasting with BLS before 12months IMO, and that is what a lot of the experts say. She also had the stewed or softened apples. The chocking isn't much of a hazard. they do sometimes gag with BLS and their finger food. You must not leave them alone with food, but they have great gag reflexes and if they put it in their mouths too much the spit it out.... and they learn how to handle their food.

Good luck hon

DS loves it, he's been having raw apple in slices (about half a cm thick) for months. We do BLS so he just picks it up and gums away. Any bits he can't swallow he spits out or coughs up. I usually leave the skin on too for better grip.

We do BLS and DD has been having raw apple for a few months, like the others I leave the skin on and give her a wedge, she has 8 teeth now and uses them to bite small bits off - if are too big she just spits out - she really loves it.

I was a bit wary because MCHN said apple is the biggest cause of choking (used to be grapes) but I am always with her when she is eating it and not sure if is due to BLS but she really handles moving food around in her mouth well, and can spit it out if is causing an issue.

Strangely she doesn't like them softened, but does like other softer fruit, plums nectarines etc. In the supermarket I often give her an apple to hold ( to stop her ripping prices off shelves etc ) she tries to bite into it but it just ends up with teeth marks.

We did BLS and so gave apple to DD at that age just sliced up with the skin. She had no dramas with it just gnawed on it. I should add she had no teeth until 11 months!

I just cut the apple up - into quarters and then halved those it that makes sense. DD was eating apple like that from about 8 mths, I think (also without teeth). By about 18 mths she was eating a whole apple raw (much easier than even doing the cutting!). I've seen plenty of other toddlers who've done BLS eating whole raw apples even younger.

The only thing my DD ever choked on doing BLS was a stringy piece of mandarin at 18 mths. She gagged, coughed it back up, looked at it and then popped it right back in! I think if you've been giving her normal food, rather than purees, she will have learnt how to handle the different textures and manage her food better without choking. I heard all of these choking hazards well after my DD had eaten all of them perfectly fine!

I've given DS raw apple before, I just cut it into really thin slices (no more than 2 mm thick) and let him pick them up and go for it. When it's that thin they're able to break it down in their mouths really easily. And, like the others have said I find DS spits stuff out if it is too big or hard for him to break down to swallow. But I do know what you mean about the lack of soft fruits now, my DS loves bananna, but that seems to be all I give him at the moment. I have bought a madarine for him, I'm thinking if I get the pips out before I give him a bit it might work well for him.

Thanks everyone

Her first tooth is just starting to come up so she doesn't have anything really apart from her gums! Have to go and get some fruit & veg today so will get some apples to try.

We did BLS with DD1 (and will be again with DD2) and I just gave her everything from 6 months on - apples included. Gave it the same way Jen did.

I stew them til they are just soft so he cvan pick them up but less 'hard'... apple is one of the biggest choking risks so i am more happy this way...
    with mandarins - at first i used to take off the inside skin and pith as well as the seeds...less stringy
    same with oranges
    other fruits that work aside from stone fruits:
    kiwi ( quite acidic so may play a bit of havoc with poos)
    banana
    blueberries
    raspberries
    oranges
    pears

i also used mroe tinned fruit in winter - peaches, apricots, plums, pears - even lychees, mango etc

Okay, sorry, I just wanted to ask what BLS stands for.
    DD gets lots of fruit in chunks and she does well with them all. Apple is her fav though. I give her wedges, skin on and she eats some, plays with some and I have never had a problem with her choking yet, she is good at coughing up any that gets stuck.

DD has raw apple in slices or wedges and I have been giving her this for ages, probably close to when she started solids properly (7 or 8 months). We haven't had an issue! The only thing my DD has gotten a tiny bit distressed over was bread sticking to the roof of her mouth one time but she quickly sorted that out herself.

My DD does have a lot of teeth but I have noticed she uses her back gum a lot of the time anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast