Thread: solids/BLS question

Talking solids/BLS question

up until the past few days DD2 hasnt really been interested in solids, will self feed some stuff, refuses the spoon unless i catch her with her mouth open.
    the past few days ive been giving her pretty much what we or DD1 has for tea in the way of BLS, all finger food ranging from steamed vegies, pasta, meat (she loves sucking on meat, then i break it up quiet small for her to eat), toast, spag bol sauce, chicken,meat from lamb shank etc..but im not waiting and checking for allergies, she seems to be ok, not issues at all, is it ok to just 'jump' in like this????

DS jumped in.
    he eats everything - again i wasnt concerned with allergies as i would turn around and DD would have given him something anyhow

Even now at 11 months he is Mr independent and wants what DD has - so he was muching on a whole apple!

Yep, that's what I did! The idea with baby led solids is they choose what they eat and they won't eat anything they're not ready for! Works well for DD!

It should be ok. We took it easy for a little while, but he preferred everything, lol!
    The only thing he had a reaction to was tomato.

SugarDust Guest

With my older 2 I just jumped in and now we are doing the same with master L If they are alleergic to anything we would find out sooner or later!

Yes, it's fine to jump in like that. The "one food at a time" was a very conservative approach - and still might be appropriate in some cases where the allergy risk is high. However, it is now recognised that introducing a variety of foods early helps kids to be better eaters earlier. If she reacts to something then you might need to slow it down to find out the culprit, but otherwise just keep going. You are doing a great job!
    Last edited by MantaRay; September 22nd, 2009 at 01:12 PM.

This is what I'm doing and so far it seems to be working. I don't think she really gets that much in but she has a good old suck on a lot of different things. Toast is a bit of a winner at the moment - can put the mushy stuff on as topping and she's quite happy to suck it off!

awesome thanks my lovelies!!

Sounds like she's having a great time with her food! This is about the same age DD *clicked* with family foods as well, and there was no holding her back. Great use of leftovers in our household!

we did jump right in, pretty much.

But we did discover when she was almost 18 months old that she has a topical allergy to eggplant. (glad she wasnt very hungry that night and only played with her food, not eating it, as the reaction was almost instant and extremely bad)

So keep in mind that you still need to keep your eyes peeled for any allergic or adverse reactions, even if she is fine with everything you give her so far.