Thread: Soy milk

Default Soy milk

To cut a long story short, I am trying to mainly breastfeed my 8 month old, however I am having supply issues and she is no longer taking in as much as she once did. Her nappies are not as wet and I am worried about hydration. So I have been trying to get her to take in some extra artificial milk to make up for what she cant get from me. She wont have a bar of formula (tried 3 brands) and I have even tried cows milk with no luck. However, she is quite happy to take a few sips of soy milk (soy milky) and even seems to quite like it. I have been offering it to her over the past few days as I have been worried about her hydration. Has anyone else used soy milk on their babies, is it ok to use? My mum keeps raving on how I was raised on soy milk and that it is fine?

Personally, I'd avoid it like the plague, BUT if it is the only think that she will take at this point and you're worried about hydration, then I'd give it to her. I know she's not been well so if it were me, I'd be giving her anything she'd take if it kept her hydrated. You have plenty of time to get her to take something else.

Have you tried water in a sippy cup? That would be my first option.

She has a bit of water until she realises what it is!

What is wrong with soy? Why would you avoid it trill?

My DS was put on soy formula from 12 wks and was comp fed till 5 months then went full time onto soy. He was put onto soy due to allergies. I asked when to transition from soy formula to milk and was advised at 12 months by a ped and then 2 yrs by the child health nurse! The issue with soy milk (vs. Formula) is that it has lower levels of protein and calcium (I think) than cows milk, making it less suitable as a main food source. However if u r still breast feeding and your DD is good on the solids it might not matter. You could also try calling the maternal and child hotline to see what the official guidelines would suggest. I have also found a bit of variation in the nutritional content and taste of the different brands so maybe compare labels once u know what your daughter needs.

Good luck
    Fg

I don’t know about soy formulas but soy milks you buy from the supermarket have quite a bit of sugar in them.

There’s also this sticky thread Kelly posted: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...r-baby-120842/

Hi, Food and water (as well as, importantly breastmilk) are the main game here. If baby needs more she will breastfeed more or eat more food. It's not necessary for her to have formula or soy milk. Do you offer water? If you wean onto a bottle, then one day in the not distant future you will have to wean her off that. Soy milk will be OK as a drink, but it wouldn't suit as a replacement for breastmilk (but then again she doesn't need a replacement for breastmilk) She needs around 600mls of milk per day and this can include breastmilk, which will make up the bulk, cheese, yoghurt, custard etc. Giving her her milk requirements as food will generally allow her to continue to breastfeed for longer.

So giving her dairy products will make up for what she is now missing out on, due to a lower supply of breastmilk? I am more worried about hydration, she is not too keen on water. I am thinking I might have to syringe it into her lol

Thanks Epacris, I will have a look

my children due to dairy intolence are on soy
    DS1 emb untill 11months then soy milk
    DD BF til 13months then soy milk
    i was told by my paed and childrens hosp their soy milk had to be high cal and while theres plenty of soy products on the market my children love soy milk and soy yoghurt

if you choose soy milk just look at high cal ones and my DS1 HATED boiled water and one day he got given plain tap water and loved it! could never figure out why so maybe you could try plain tap water (he drinks so much water a day)

No healthy child will dehydrate themselves in the presence of breastmilk and formula. Breastfeeding is a dynamic process - changing all the time. Wish I had a dollar for every mother who came to me after they weaned "cold turkey" at 10 months because they "knew they had no milk" only to find themselves engorged and on the verge of mastitis a day or two later. Your little one needs food and water (yes, they just play in the water most of the time) Let your baby take the lead and relax a bit.

Can you give her a wet cloth to suck on?

I personally don’t give my children any other choices. It’s water or breastmilk and if they don’t want either of them then they're not thirsty.

Barb I am definately not weaning cold turkey (if anything I have been trying to keep going as much as I physically can) and I definately am not having any engorgement issues thats for sure. I wish!!! Sometimes breastfeeding doesnt work out long term, and so what, I'm happy that I made it to 8 months - and still going as much as possible. I'm now looking for alternative ways to keep her as hydrated as I was able to keep her before.

Thanks girls I looked into soy, eeek, bit scary. I will sort it out, thanks for your suggestions.

hi,

I think you misunderstood me. It's common for women to feel that they have no milk. It's not until they stop that they realise how much milk they were actually going. Everything you have said indicates you are keeping her well nourished and well hydrated. I know it is really concerning when things seem to change. Getting to 8 mnths is amazing, and yes, sometimes breastfeeding doesn't work out long term. But I think you are doing better than you know you are.

Barb, Isadora was taking motillum to help with her cronic low supply and now she's stopped taking it she is having problems again

I'm sorry Barb, I was feeling emotional about all this!! I think you are right about me doing better than I realise. I will just keep going as I am and try not to be a stress head!

Hey, it's normal to feel stressed when things seem to change so dramatically and the pattern isn't clear. That's what Belly Belly is for. Hold tight and just keep breastfeeding - see what the next stage brings. The only other idea is to go back on motilium for a couple of weeks and wean a bit more gradually.