Thread: Starting on solids.

Default Starting on solids.

Hi,

i am wondering what i could give my daughter for her first food rather then farax. i was thinking maybe weetbix or pumpkin?

how long after starting the first food can i introduce a second type of food?

thanks
    Lisa

Pumpkin, sweet potato, stewed apple/pear, mushed up banana, avocado have all gone down well here
    DD hated rice cereal when I tried to give it to her but I was keen to get some type of cereal into her as she's such a poo-ey baby (hoping to get her down to one poo a day!). Millet cereal (forma a health food store) tastes much nicer - i make it with a bit of BM and throw in some apple or banana.....have fun experimenting and don't worry if most of it ends up on the floor/behind the ears/in their hair etc etc

DS hated Farex so I gave him the Rafferty's Baby Porridge. Then after a few days we started on veggies. Think I gave him pumpkin & potato first. After a few days of veggies I gave him banana. I'm still giving the same food for a few days as he's only been on solids a few weeks.
    Good luck with it!!

I started with apples (not whole of course! Mashed up) and have tried pumpkin since and they both worked well.
    HTH

We did baby led solids and DD started with banana, avocado, toast, leftovers from our dinner (so most vegies, rice dishes, stirfrys, pieces of meat), and so on. Not all at once, but we introduced new foods every few days. Yoghurt was her particular favourite and I did have to help her a bit with that one at first. The rest she just handled herself. We went to Weetbix a bit later, when she could handle a spoon properly.

We had one box of rice cereal that stayed in the pantry unopened until it past it's expiry date - so that one was completely unnecessary for us!

inadvertantly, DS' first food was bread. when they're ready to start eating...they're really ready so guard your plate

we did have some rafferty's porridge that DS liked, but he liked regular porridge just as much so we just used that after the rafferty's ran out.

other first foods for us were vegies, different melons, cooked apple & pear & yoghurt was very popular here too.

i'v found that weetbix has taken a while for DS' tummy to cope with - he got constipated the first time & twice after that had runny poos after he'd eaten it. i can't say for sure it was the weetbix but happened after eating it. i left a gap each time & tried it again for the 4th time this week & so far, so good.

i have to admit that i didn't really wait much to introduce new foods, i've given him a selection almost from the start. we've been doing some BLS & some purees.

oh - and if they don't like something, keep offering it every so often. DS turned his nose up at carrot, potato & sweet potato early on but would eat it as a (bought) rafferty's puree. i offered them again (whole) last night from my plate & he couldn't get enough of them.

enjoy - solids are fun (and messy!)

Hi Sloane, and anyone else who might be able to help me out...
    How old was your DS when you gave him porridge and did you use cows milk or EBM or just water to make it?
    I have porridge every morning so would be good if DS could have that too

Also what's the difference between the Rafferty's baby porridge and just oats?

hi willow...i think i started my DS on porridge when he was maybe a week or so over 6 months? it was pretty early on. i just mix with water - mostly because that's how i make my own! i usually just give him some of mine. at the start, i'd mix in some extra water after i'd made it to make it a little runnier, but not too much. sometimes i add a fruit puree (the rafferty's garden ones) or mash up some banana & mix it through. the difference with the rafferty's baby porridge & normal oats is how runny it is - the rafferty's one is like a very thin soup (i can't think of a better analogy ) & not chunky at all. DS did like the rafferty's but he loves normal porridge so no need to get the specialty one.

Thank you sloane

We started with farex (4mths), then moved to pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot, through most of the vegetables (at 6mths), before fruits, as I was told to much 'sweet' foods and they will gain a preference for them over the blander vegies (which was very true for my niece). You can also start to introduce the stronger flavours of some vegies but mixing it with farex or potato.

And weetbix is to much for little bellies, best keeping it till they are up to feeding themselves brekkie, and even then its not really good for them everyday for quite awhile. If DD1 has it to much it upsets her system still and she is 2. We found Cheerios to be fantastic.

Have fun and enjoy the mess.

Smile

Hi, we started our DD on farex first then started putting pureed veges with a bit of flavour in with it. We make the farex with EBM and put a bit of pumpkin or other vegetable in with it. DD loves it. I like the farex for the additional iron they get and making it with the EBM makes it nice and nutritional for her.