Thread: starting solids

Default starting solids

What are the best foods to introduce to my 6 month old, and in what order?

Unless you've a family history of allergies, you can introduce anything you like - within reason. It's generally best to avoid sugar, salt, processed foods, etc (well, for all of us, but paricularly for little babies with immature organs). Also avoid choking hazards like whole nuts/grapes, etc

I know a lot of people have their own opinions on this but we did:
    1. Rice cereal (lots of people feel this isn't a good first food I've since found out, but my DD loved it!)
    2. Fruit (like apple or pear)
    3. Veggies (I think we did pumpkin and carrot)

We did each of those things individually at first. From there we started adding combinations of the above or other fruit and veg. We chose to do mashes for our DD (once again, not something everyone chooses to do). We would always introduce something new on its own before mixing it with something else and initially only one new thing a day (easier to tell if there was a reaction).

We have been doing baby led solids. DD really enjoys meatballs cooked in sauce. She also loves watermelon and other fruits.
    another thing she really likes is cooked broccoli and beans, she holds them and eats/gnaws on them.

I agree with MadB. The less processed food given to them, the better (for obvious reasons). I try to give her a variety of foods so that she is exposed to more, and can learn variety.

Just be prepared for mess

At 6 months you can offer most foods. I avoid honey until after 12 months, and raw carrot and nuts. Everything else is on the menu!

First foods i offered were steamed carrot sticks, steamed broccoli flowers, baked potato slices, cucumber sticks, toast fingers.

Have a read here:
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...lids-Chatter-7

Oh yeah, honey! I forgot about that one. Botulism risk.

Default starting solids

The first food my dd had was avocado mashed and mixed with a bit of ebm. She was always tiny so I didn't want any solids she had to take away from fats she might get from a bf. I have heard that avo is the closest of all foods in likeness to breast milk. We did a bit of both to start with. Some bls and some spoon feeding because she was little. Other great foods are steamed veg sticks, mango, banana slices etc. My Dd loved corn on the cob. She ate alot of food we were eating like spag Bol etc.

Default starting solids

Wow thank you for all the suggestions, that has been so helpful, think I will do a little of spoon feeding and some baby led as I like the idea of baby led... But I just got a Thermomix !!!!